Photo

Doping in professional hockey

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stevenm

stevenm
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

just out of curiosity how much doping is there in the NHL?

Might be a sensitive topic and I might be naive but I have to admit that I was shocked to read a recommendation in the "weight loosing competition" post to take ephedrine, caffeine, aspirine etc. before a workout. This is probably harmless compared to what professionals might use. I am a proponent of keeping it natural, meaning you don't take anything to enhance performance - just eating healthy food.

Watching documentaries about NHLers I have seen player using smelling salt, buying different types of supps, Cammalerli getting accupuncture so that there is no blockage in his brain muscle stimulation. Still far away from steroids and other highly damaging stuff.

How is doping considered in professional hockey? Are there any controls? How do you think about it?

#2 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

well if you drink coffee for instance, that aint keepin it natty i guess then.

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#3 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

I remember reading an article a long time ago about NHL players using Sudafed to help them play better, because it made them more focused and aggressive. I think the NHL ended up banning it from locker rooms. Modny is right about the all natural thing you mentioned. Supplements are just an easier way of getting what your body needs for training. It's much more realistic to get an L-arginine supplement than to eat 5 servings of salmon everyday (nothing wrong with salmon, it's one if the best foods for you).

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#4 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

There is a ton of doping in all sports, no doubt about it. The testing is so lax in the NHL...and it's announced way in advance.... And injured players aren't tested. Do the math. No way these guys can come back from injuries so fast without juicing.

#5 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

I know for a fact there's still guys doing blow in the lockerroom. Coaches and staff pretty much look the other way while dudes bump lines.

#6 PinkEye

PinkEye

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I know for a fact there's still guys doing blow in the lockerroom. Coaches and staff pretty much look the other way while dudes bump lines.

I'm not proud of it but I used to bump lines in minor hockey. It does give you an extra edge.

As far as steroids in the NHL, all of the top tier players play internationally so they're subject to zero tolerance drug testing. The IOC takes steroids very seriously unlike the MLB who is content with policing itself.

#7 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

well if you drink coffee for instance, that aint keepin it natty i guess then.

what if you're drinking natty light?  That is basically water anyway

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#8 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

humbo, 

thats an american problem. not canadian

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#9 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just had this pop up on my youtube today:

For Sale:

#10 stevenm

stevenm
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

very interesting comments, thanks!

It is sad and shocking to me but then again its all about money like anything else. Maybe they should start a pond-hockey league to keep the game as pure as I would like, haha.

As said in the Podcast if the NHL were to test players for drug abuse it might harm the sports image and its popularity (which has suffered due to the lock-out as they state).

My naivity is probably just wishful thinking. When I re-discovered hockey this year I was very impressed by the beauty and the aesthetics of the game (all initiated because I accidently stumbled upon the 2012 All-Star game). Living in a country where soccer is the most popular sport, diving back into hockey provided me with a refreshing contrast. Eloquent players, helping their community, grounded, modest (just read that Bourne wrote somewhere about hockey pseudo-modesty though), dressed in suits off ice, focusing on the team and not the individual, etc. playing a fast paced, physically and mentally challenging game was just very appealing to me.

So learning about all the doping now brings me back to reality.

P.S.: kinda off topic but I totally agree with this list: http://www.ladyloves...e-about-hockey/

#11 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

humbo, 

thats an american problem. not canadian

its an annoying problem :-(

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#12 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

IMHO, there's more of a substance abuse problem in the NHL than steroids.  That is a large part of what the Boogaard lawsuit is all about.  

#threadcloser

#13 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Not too much steroid use ... GH specially designed for each person based on their body and DNA.
Everybody assumes taking GH and steroids you'll be a monster , not at all. It's also about being able
To recover and stay fresh.
As you get older you body produces less GH , this is why you start to look old and lose muscle.
Also a big thing in Hollywood to stay looking young. Well known fact.