Photo

Girdle vs Pants

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Willis

Willis
  • LocationCold Lake, Alberta

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Im new to this girdle concept but all I see out there are shells for pants so this seems to be the way things are going. Ive seen a few but can someone enlighten me and also explain PROS and CONS of girdle vs pant?

#2 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

Depends which girdle you're looking at. 2 of the biggest ones are the pro 9k and the warrior projekt. I made the switch from pants (hustlers) to girdle (projekt) almost a year ago and I'm never going back. Although the girdle is tighter to my body, i feel its a lot lighter and i feel like because its tighter to my body I get more power per stride. Ive taken pucks to the girdle and never had a bruise.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#3 Obscene19

Obscene19
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

Switched to girdle and will never look back! Takes getting used to, a bit heavier, but mobility is better. You can also change your shell whenever so its like owning a bunch of different pants. Different brand of shells run different size wise. I find all my 9ks are bigger than other brands. I have a large 9K girdle and I can use medium or large shells. I find XL too big (5"10 175). May be different if you're taller. Never tried small. Some mediums are a tad short length wise but not an issue at all. This all depends on brand.

Overall best equipment decision I ever made!

Hockey is Life. The rest is just details.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#4 Willis

Willis
  • LocationCold Lake, Alberta

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:33 PM

Is every shell compatible with every girdle? Im 6'2 185lbs and I was looking at a medium shell because it says 32-34 waist but im wondering if I should go large.

#5 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

If your 6'2 I would go large only because I'd be worried about length. Just my opinion
Pavel Datsyuk Gear or any wings gear!

Feedback- http://www.sports2k..../8903-buster-d/

#6 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Is every shell compatible with every girdle? Im 6'2 185lbs and I was looking at a medium shell because it says 32-34 waist but im wondering if I should go large.

Yes and no. You can usually get them to work, but they might not stay on the girdle very well. Some people make addition to their girdle to make them compatible with other shells. I own both the reebok 9k and warrior projekt and my bother owns bauer apx and easton senergy. My warrior projekt had loops sewn in for 9k shells.

Shells will vary in how they attach to girdles, for instance Reebok 9k shells have 3 loops, two on the side and one on the back. Other shells, like reebok pp10 just use a belt.

#7 DField56

DField56
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

i wear a total one girdle, not as much protection as pants but save a ton of room owning shells over full pants

My Feedback

Always interested in Sharks gear

#8 PinkEye

PinkEye

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I don't even use the loops on my 9k and every shell I've owned has worked fine. In fact, I'm not a big fan of the 9k shells at all. The new Bauer Nexus shells are my favorite as of now. As long as the belt or laces is cinched tight it's not going to fall off. If you're afraid of pantsing yourself then wrap some tape around your waist like Grabner does here:

#9 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

If i don't use the loops, the shell will sometimes sag. I have to be the best dressed guy on the ice. :P

#10 Obscene19

Obscene19

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Even with the loops attatched on my large 9Ks the shell sags a bit. I just got a belt and wrap it around my waist and it keeps it in place.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#11 wbj

wbj

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

Agreed... 9k tends to look like a poopy diaper even with the loops. 

#12 PinkEye

PinkEye

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:40 AM

I'm with you guys, that's why I don't like the 9k shells.

http://www.sports2k....nts/#entry97086

#13 Obscene19

Obscene19

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Belt or suspenders will fix this. Or go down a size. I just got a medium 9k and it is one of my favourite shells now. The fit of a 9k is like no other when paired with a 9k girdle and is actually the right size for you.

—Jacques Demers

#14 PinkEye

PinkEye

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Unfortunately they don't make XS shells :(

#15 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

Question, do 9k small shells work on medium 9k girdles? I know medium shells work on the large 9k girdle, so I'm assuming it's true with small shells and medium girdles, but I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

#16 hunterphfr

hunterphfr

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

Im new to this girdle concept but all I see out there are shells for pants so this seems to be the way things are going. Ive seen a few but can someone enlighten me and also explain PROS and CONS of girdle vs pant?

If you have a couple of hours to kill I would recommend wandering over to modsquadhockey. Do an advanced search of the equipment forum, keyword girdle and search thread titles only. The girdle vs. pants and girdle type vs. girdle type questions as well as individual type questions are addressed in numerous threads and pages & pages of answers. There's a tremendous amount of info over there.

#17 Obscene19

Obscene19

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Question, do 9k small shells work on medium 9k girdles? I know medium shells work on the large 9k girdle, so I'm assuming it's true with small shells and medium girdles, but I would like to know if anyone has tried it.

I would think so. Haven't tried it so can't give you a definite answer. But based on my medium large experience id say yes. It will definatly fit over the girdle, but your height will affect the length of the shell.

—Jacques Demers

#18 nittanypucker

nittanypucker

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

I actually take a zip tie and attach the tie down strap to the lower back protection. No more sag.

#19 FunkyDish

FunkyDish

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'm 5'11, 170 lbs and I use a small 9k shell over my large 9k girdle and it works fine. No need to use the loops or a belt to hold it up.

#20 Hellkitty

Hellkitty
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

I use an x60 girdle with either a CCM shell. But I mostly use my XS 9k girdle with the thighs taken off and I use my pro stock lowers. It works perfect with them.