Photo

Jaw Protector Legal?

jaw protector rule nhl legal helmet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Silvey35

Silvey35

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

What is the rule on a jaw protector (half bubble)? legal to wear? I know quite a few NHLers wear them when they need to, but does that require some sort of doctors note to be approved by the NHL? I looked up some rules and it says no customization or modification the a face mask is allowed.....The rink I play at told me I couldn't wear one and that doesn't make sense to me. I recently got high sticked and messed up the bottom row of my teeth and I just want to wear that because it is way more free than a regular bubble or cage.  Any help or thoughts???

Looking for Blue Team All Star game gloves  :)

#2 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

Don't believe you can wear full facial gear unless you have an injury.

Also why would your rink not allow full facial gear? That makes no sense..

For Sale:

#3 Silvey35

Silvey35

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Just the jaw protector they said wasn't legal. Visors, Full cage/bubble are allowed. 

#4 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

What does this have to do with the NHL when you are talking about your jaw and your rink?

WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#5 dimitrym91

dimitrym91
  • LocationSouth Detroit, Ontario

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Next time you go to your rink tell them you want in writing that they are barring you from wearing it, and then if you get hurt tell them all costs will be billed to them as they forbade you from wearing something that could have prevented the injuries, bet they won't have any issue with it at that point

#6 Silvey35

Silvey35

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

What does this have to do with the NHL when you are talking about your jaw and your rink?

I'm talking about the jaw protector in general...if there is a specific rule/ammendum for it...this is a forum and usually people discuss things on forums. If I posted in the wrong section, feel free to contact a mod and have it moved.

#7 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

I don't see why there would be any rules preventing you from wearing a jaw protector at a random ice hockey rink. That makes zero sense..

In the NHL you cannot wear full facial gear unless you have an injury.

The two are not related in any way..

For Sale:

#8 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Yup, no bird cage or bubble in the NHL unless you're injured. I really don't see why YOU couldn't wear one though. Hopefully you have good dental insurance

#9 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Your rink/league may have a rule about using modified head/facial protection. Honestly, while it may protect against an errant stick, if you catch a shoulder to the jaw that "guard" is going to knock out the rest of your chicklets.

#10 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

that's probably it. my league requires certified facial protection for every level except the elite guys. a few years ago one guy started wearing that full cage that loosely resembles a goalie cat-eye cage and we told him he'd have to replace it with a regular one.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......