Photo

Do you cut your stick?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Precision

Precision

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'm about 5'10 and 195lbs on foot and I'm curious to see who cuts their stick, how much and what your size is. I've been on the fence about stick cutting and found myself wondering if there's a formula or if it's just preference. I've been using 77 flex NXGs and really like them but I'm wondering if I'm helping or hurting my game by keeping it stock length especially at forward.

What are your height and weight specs?

What position do you play?

How much do you cut your stick and why?

#2 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

5'9" 160 lbs

Forward

I have a 77 flex stick that I cut down a couple of inches.. it's at my mouth on skates. Think I might cut it down even further for better puck control as that seems to be one of my weaker skills.

For Sale:

#3 hockeymutt

hockeymutt

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

5'7 on a good day 165lbs 

forward 

65 flex 

cut to the bottom lip with out skates so comes under my chin with skates. I just went through a few months of testing and prob took 2 inches off my stick in 3 months and my hands got petter and my shot got more accurate and i would say hard since i have to lean more on the stick. I realized i was using to long of stick for the past 26 years and should have cut it back in the day.

#4 Obscene19

Obscene19
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

The shorter your stick, the better puck control you will have. But it comes to preference. I know someone who is 6'3 240 and his stick is shorter than mine (5'9)

Hockey is Life. The rest is just details.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#5 DespicableChang

DespicableChang
  • LocationKankakee, Illinois

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:14 AM

5' 11"  250.  I cut my stick at right under my chin so it is at my adam's apple, collar bone in skates.  Super short.  I also cut off the front 2 inches of the blade.  It's just what I've found to work and I'm very happy with the stick handling, passing, and shot.  Use an intermediate total one shaft and wood blade.  I'm a defenseman too. 

#6 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:10 AM

I also cut off the front 2 inches of the blade.

:wtf:

#7 Precision

Precision

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

I have a ribcor 85 flex that is just below my nose in shoes. It's cut right above the 57 inch mark but the 57 in mark has a flex rating of 88... it's weird because shouldn't it be for every 2 inches add 10 flex?

#8 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

5'11.5 or 6'0 on a good day.

I don't really cut my sticks, whatever standard heigh on bauer sticks are works great for me.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#9 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:49 AM

6'3. I actually get mine with 4 inches extra added over retail height. And I think my hands are probably my best asset. Long sticks help for puck control too, ask Datsyuk. It's just a personal preference.

#10 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

5"10, 160 pounds

Defense
I prefer sticks around 80 flex and as far as height it goes to my nose. As far as preference or a formula i've tried many different heights. Once I figured out what flex works for me, i played around with a ton if different heights before I settled on this height (roughly 52") 3 years ago. If you cut it too short remember you can always add a wood or compo extension.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#11 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Stick height is all preference. Lie is more important.

Generally it's always been cut your stick to your nose when off skates. Some like shorter or longer, but it's whatever works for you.

#12 FatTire10

FatTire10

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

6'2" 185 lbs, mostly F but occasionally D.  

I've cycled through a bunch of sticks the last couple of years, mostly in the 3 Bauer families but a few Eastons sprinkled in.  I've tended to stay in the P92 or P88 (with a couple of P14s) patterns with lies 5 and 6.  I've cut off anywhere from an .5" to 1.5" but lately I've been using the standard retail length.  

#13 t6lock

t6lock
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

I'm about 5'10 and 195lbs on foot and I'm curious to see who cuts their stick, how much and what your size is. I've been on the fence about stick cutting and found myself wondering if there's a formula or if it's just preference. I've been using 77 flex NXGs and really like them but I'm wondering if I'm helping or hurting my game by keeping it stock length especially at forward.

What are your height and weight specs?

What position do you play?

How much do you cut your stick and why?

Are you a market researcher or something? So many threads, so many questions.

#14 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:28 PM

5'7, 195

Defense

Sticks get cut to my eyes on skates. That probably explains why I have stones for hands.

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?

#15 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Are you a market researcher or something? So many threads, so many questions.

Spambot?

5'7, 195

Defense

Sticks get cut to my eyes on skates. That probably explains why I have stones for hands.

At least your honest

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#16 stuarto_pidasso

stuarto_pidasso
  • Locationunder someone's skin

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

5'8.5" nunyobidniss (j/k) 180# defence

My sticks are between my chin to my nose; if I plan on playing forward, it is on the shorter side; on D it's longer. Once I get more knee bend, I think the stick will stay on the shorter side.
This space intentionally left blank.

#17 kimchee411

kimchee411
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'm 5'9" 185 and cut my sticks around my collar bone with skates on.  Used to use the rule of thumb of cutting to the chin on skates but it's been much better since switching.  Able to get the stick out in front and around the body more easily, skating is better since I'm forced to stay lower, and it helps defensively with poke/sweeping stick checks being more maneuverable with one hand.  Also getting more weight down on the shaft for snappers and wristers.

The issue is flex: senior sticks I cut down about 4 inches so 75 plays to 90-ish flex and ints are about the right length but usually only 65 flex so it's very hard to get anything in between, which I'd prefer.  The only stick I've found that really fits me is the Diablo SE int which is extra long (about sr length) and available in 70.  Easton's the next best thing since their flex is rated about 3" down.

STUFF I'M LOOKING FOR (NEW/LIKE NEW CONDITION)
• MIC AX1 13" or 14" -- NOT NYI, Oilers, Habs, Ducks, Preds, Hawks, Leafs, Pens, or Devils (retro YES PLEASE).
• Joe Thornton CCM mitts

• Pro stock edge socks:
- Wings away

• Blackhawks red practice jersey 56/58
• Sens Cream Heritage 2.0 game jersey 56/58

#18 Precision

Precision

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

I'm on the fence as to what flex to start with because I too have thought that a shorter stick would force me to put more weight into shots. If I cut 2 inches a 77 turns into an 84 with Bauer but reebok seems to be rated differently flex wise after getting cut

#19 cott1

cott1

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

I'm 5'9" 185 and cut my sticks around my collar bone with skates on. Used to use the rule of thumb of cutting to the chin on skates but it's been much better since switching. Able to get the stick out in front and around the body more easily, skating is better since I'm forced to stay lower, and it helps defensively with poke/sweeping stick checks being more maneuverable with one hand. Also getting more weight down on the shaft for snappers and wristers.

The issue is flex: senior sticks I cut down about 4 inches so 75 plays to 90-ish flex and ints are about the right length but usually only 65 flex so it's very hard to get anything in between, which I'd prefer. The only stick I've found that really fits me is the Diablo SE int which is extra long (about sr length) and available in 70. Easton's the next best thing since their flex is rated about 3" down.

I have the same exact problem.
Wanna go in on some customs?
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

Click here to leave feedback Cott1 *NEW* Feedback Profile
Click here to view past feedback thread Cott1 *OLD* Feedback Thread

#20 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

Some 75 flex sticks come shorter now. I know reebok does at least. Sherwood has a flex free zone at the top so cutting wont affect flex fora few inches