Photo

Shorter Sticks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

Been thinking about the length of stick the last little bit and what would be the best for myself.

Here's a good article on Matt Duchene and his transition from a longer/stiffer stick to a [much] shorter/whippier stick. On the flip side, you see someone like Nathan MacKinnon or Tyler Seguin using longer mid kick sticks.

I'm about 5'10 and have been using anywhere from a 77 to 87 flex Bauer stick cut down 1 notch, adding about 5 flex each time. I've gone from 82 flex E28 NXG to 82 flex P92 NXG to now a 77 flex P92 NXG. I'm going to try and get really used to it before cutting it down even shorter, but kind of want to try and intermediate stick to give this theory a shot... Further to that, do people think a low kick or mid kick would be better suited to a super short stick with low flex? I'd imagine a low kick.

Has anyone around my size tried using an intermediate stick? I think that'd essentially be equivalent to what Duchene uses, relative to his size/strength.

#2 topsnipe

topsnipe
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

Dont forget tho that intermediate shafts are thinner/skinnier than senior sticks. I'm around the same height and tried it out but hated it.

#3 Oey444

Oey444
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

I'm about 5'11" and ~170lbs. I cut my sticks (senior) roughly to 62.5" tall from butt end to the ground. I think a big thing is the lie of the stick too, gotta factor that in.

My current go-to stick is a P92 APX which happens to be a 102 flex (originally). I am by no means muscular and I actually feel my shots are much harder with the higher flex compared to some (originally) 87 flex sticks that I've used.

I honestly haven't tried the intermediate sticks for exactly what topsnipe said because of the thinner shafts, I don't think I could get used to that.

Go Sens Go!

Go Jets Go!

Always interested in any Sens gear.

LF: Spezza Luxes/Coverts, Kovy Luxes, EK65 Coverts, EK65 gear in general

#4 hockeymutt

hockeymutt

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:55 AM

i'm 5'6  165 lbs, use an INT stick, have tried 65's, 70, 75 flex and found the sweet spot for me is at 70's with 2 inches removed. A few can't believe i use 70 flex and one guy keep harping on me saying " your loosing so much power off your shot. That stick looks like a noodle when you shoot". I ve used 80-85 flex sticks and feel i have better control at the 70 range. 

#5 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

One thing you left out which is important is how much you weigh. I'm 5'10, 170 and I use 82 flex sticks cut and I cut 1 inch off. If you're 5'10 and 200 pounds lets say, chances are that intermediate stick isn't going to last you very long. If you're about the same weight as me then maybe the intermediate stick might work for you but keep in mind the shaft will be skinnier. 

I think this is something you should try to get it out of your head so you know you've tried and you can go back to 77 or 82 flex sticks if you aren't happy with the intermediate. 

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#6 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

I've gone from 82 flex E28 NXG 

wait, what? where did you get this!

IG: Fooj Media

#7 Goldberg21

Goldberg21
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

"True" makes an intermediate stick that feels more like a senior, except with lower flexes, I tried my friends and it felt great

#8 ml_han

ml_han

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Im 6-2 200 and use senior 75 flex. My game sticks are pretty much stock length (59in top to heel) but for shooting at goalie practices and practice, I have a few cut down 1.5 inches to nearly intermediate lengths. Definitely a bit quicker feel for stickhandling, plus it forces me to engage my lower body more when I shoot - my shot feels harder after I go back to a longer stick

#9 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

On a good day I'm about 157 lbs (5'9.75"? height). You're all right about the shaft dimensions of intermediate sticks, forgot about that.

Kingfooj, haha of course disregard the discussion and focus on the twig ;). I was fortunate to get it from a guy who lives nearby that plays in the DEL2. They use green NXGs!

#10 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

On a good day I'm about 157 lbs (5'9.75"? height). You're all right about the shaft dimensions of intermediate sticks, forgot about that.

Kingfooj, haha of course disregard the discussion and focus on the twig ;). I was fortunate to get it from a guy who lives nearby that plays in the DEL2. They use green NXGs!

haha sorry had to ask. thats sick! prime time specs

IG: Fooj Media

#11 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Took the plunge today and cut the twig down [again] about 2 inches. It feels preeeetty stiff. I compared it to my retail Bauer stick with the markings and it sits at about 90 flex. Will be on the ice tonight so will report back!

#12 Cao

Cao
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

you better not lie, i'll be watching you...

#13 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

I'll have to keep my head up :)

#14 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

So I've had one drop-in and one game using the shorter stick. I felt adjusted during the drop-in (slower pace probably) but struggled a lot during my game last night. The puck always seemed just a few inches out of my reach and it ended up costing my team in overtime :(.

I didn't think a few inches would make such a big difference but it REALLY does. You hunch over more and take a more aggressive stance, and where you could reach the puck before you can't anymore. I find the stick to be quite stiff when I'm shooting. So far, I haven't been able to really even flex my stick when I shoot, whereas with an 82 cut down a notch I could still flex it and release the puck hard.

Overall I think I will see the benefits once I get used to it.