Photo

Most common Helmet in the NHL

helmet nhl best safest

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 hockey33

hockey33

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:04 AM

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, but I was looking to get a new helmet (have a bauer4500 now) and was wondering what the most common current helmet used in the NHL is. I know people still use the 4500, but I feel that there must be better/safer helmet technology out today as oppose to 10+ years ago or whenever the 4500 came out. 

And adding to that, is the Bauer REakt 100 leaps and bounds better/safer than a regular Reakt or top of the line from another company?? Thanks in advance

#2 LankNasty

LankNasty
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:36 AM

The helmet that is the best/safest is the one that fits your head the best

"Thank God theres still a sport for middle sized white boys"

-Derek Sutton (Youngblood) 

#3k

#3 MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup
  • LocationSt. Albert, AB, Canada

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Helmets are kind of a touchy subject. There are a couple studies out there that rated helmets based on the movement of your brain and whatnot, some found the warrior crown to be the 'best', and some a completely different result. We cannot truly prevent concussions, at this moment. But the 'best' and 'safest' helmet for you, is the one that fits your head best, just like LankNasty pointed out. 

For me, the V08/V10. Prefer the V08 liner though. 

Looking for the following..

Any Mathieu Perreault Gear

Size Small Navy 9k Shells

Any Smaller Jets/Moose Gear

13" Navy Base Gloves

#4 Aussiescott

Aussiescott
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

http://www.beam.vt.e...mets_hockey.php

#5 Hyuen88

Hyuen88
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

The helmet that is the best/safest is the one that fits your head the best

Exactly, if the 4500 fits ur head right then switching just cauz won't really work unless it fits. Go try on the Reakt or the Reakt 100 first before you commit to a purchase.

HK #17

Feedback

#6 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 25 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

Ccm v08

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#7 DiesILL

DiesILL
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

Love the v08

#8 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

The re akt 100 is awful... Failed project by Bauer. Id stick with a regular re akt if you're looking to move into a newer helmet

#9 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:00 PM

Helmets don't stop concussions, but you have to get what fits.

#10 Zooz

Zooz

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:18 PM

The re akt 100 is awful... Failed project by Bauer. Id stick with a regular re akt if you're looking to move into a newer helmet

Can you elaborate? I was under the impression that the 100 was quite similar to its predecessor. What makes it inferior? I do notice that most NHLers will wear the original reakt over the 100.

#11 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:06 AM

The main difference and reason I and most would say it's inferior is the fit. The re akt fit a very common head shape and the re akt 100 is a bit more blocky. The one j had fit me length wise but width was too wide. They're also very heavy, and awkwardly shaped around the back top of the head. It feels bulky on the head and you can feel the weight. I also don't like the adjustment clip they used on the 100 compared to the regular re akt. Only NHL player I've really noticed in one consistently through the season is drew miller and I'm not sure if he has a VN liner in his or not

#12 Kadams29

Kadams29
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:24 AM

V08/v10's are prolly some of the most common. I love the fitment on my v10

#13 Moose

Moose

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

I always wore bauer buckets 4500,5100,9900,reakt etc etc but the v08/v10 made me switch! Light comfortable and everything you want. Mind you I'm only playing beer leagues and pick up so the protection isn't truly needed.

#14 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

I don't think fitment is the correct word here....   

#15 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:31 PM

Sorry to bump a dead thread, but I'd say most common is the V08. All the kids coming up from junior and the AHL who don't have major endorsement deals rock mostly CCM gear (including the bucket).

I see tons of Re-Akts as well (especially over 100s). I think the front and sides of the 100 look superior to the original, but the back is way too blocky.

Would be interesting to see stats on equipment usage in the regular season. I know Bauer does it during the Cup Finals (or playoffs too?).

#16 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

on the subject of the 4500 being outdated, im not sure what the exact statistics are but it seems like many players get the VN foam in new model helmets, 11k, reakt pro or just prefer helmets already designed with VN padding, e400.  

IG: Fooj Media

#17 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:43 PM

on the subject of the 4500 being outdated, im not sure what the exact statistics are but it seems like many players get the VN foam in new model helmets, 11k, reakt pro or just prefer helmets already designed with VN padding, e400.  

Yup. I didn't believe a teammate at first a few years ago. I just assumed all pros would get the top of the line helmets from each company. Instead, it's the opposite. They've oddly reflected that (to an extent) in EA NHL games (or at least NHL 15 on 360. Can't remember NHL 16 on XB1 at the moment).

5100 over 9900

E400 over E700

4K over 8K

V08 over V10

IMS 9.0 (or Re-Akt with VN padding) over Re-Akt

11K with VN padding over 11K

I'm really curious about this. For the older guys I imagine it's the padding they're used to. Objectively though, wouldn't the newer EPP foams be much more comfortable than the thick VN foam? This is coming from a guy that wears a 4500 still :).

#18 OriginalSick

OriginalSick

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:26 AM

The fit of the new helmets is especially comprised if you wear a visor look at pictures of players like hornquist wearing a react and the temple pads being pulled out so far even given spacers. I tried every spacer kit and none got ride of the horizontal movement due to streached out temple pads. The helmets with VN the temple padding is independent of wear the screws go so you get a better snug fit all around if you wear a visor in my opinion there was no movement. 4500 and V8 for life.

#19 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:53 AM

Supposedly, in the ECHL/AHL this year you're not allowed to wear a helmet with VN unless you have NHL games under your belt, in a move to help prevent injuries.

#20 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:01 PM

I don't like the Gazoo look the fat foam in the older helmets like the 4500 have. V08 or Resistence are my favs