Photo

Buying from a private seller: Is is safe?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nspa32

Nspa32

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

I was looking for a Marian Hossa CCM pro stock stick, and I finally found a person willing to sell me one. The guy is from Modsquadhockey.com, I e-mailed him to send me pictures of the stick, and he sent them. He's selling the stick for $160 (brand new), plus, shipping (he's from Canada). I also asked him, for the sake of my, the buyers protection, and the sellers protection, to put it on eBay when I'm ready to pay, and he said he would. Do you think this person is safe to just use PayPal? He told me I would have to pay seller fee's if he put it on eBay or something like that, I have no idea. I'm not that experienced with this.

Please let me know guys,

Thanks

#2 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:10 AM

Im sure there is someone on here that may know him and if he has a good reputation as a seller so you could ask around. He is correct though, if he does post it on ebay and you buy it, ebay will take a percentage out on his end.

Another option to avoid ebay but still protect yourself through paypal is send the funds through paypal as goods and services. Paypal will take out a fee, but I dont think it is as much as ebay does. That way you can stay away from the hassle of ebay but still be safe and confident. In the end, it's really your call if you want to trust him or not.

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#3 Nspa32

Nspa32

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Im sure there is someone on here that may know him and if he has a good reputation as a seller so you could ask around. He is correct though, if he does post it on ebay and you buy it, ebay will take a percentage out on his end.

Another option to avoid ebay but still protect yourself through paypal is send the funds through paypal as goods and services. Paypal will take out a fee, but I dont think it is as much as ebay does. That way you can stay away from the hassle of ebay but still be safe and confident. In the end, it's really your call if you want to trust him or not.

Okay, thanks for the info.

#4 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

Just go through paypal. If you aren't happy with the product or don't recieve the product for that matter you can always just open a dispute through paypal and get your money back. As a buyer you are alot safer than the seller.

#5 Nspa32

Nspa32

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Just go through paypal. If you aren't happy with the product or don't recieve the product for that matter you can always just open a dispute through paypal and get your money back. As a buyer you are alot safer than the seller.

Okay, thanks buddy. Appreciate it.

#6 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Who's the seller? I'm sure pretty much everyone here will know who it is.
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#7 Nspa32

Nspa32

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Who's the seller? I'm sure pretty much everyone here will know who it is.

pcoughfee

#8 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Man , do you know how many buyers don't know this ??
Always want things to be put on eBay . . .
I always ask why ? PayPal is the protection.

Non relevant post.

#9 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

In situations like this, ebay is just so much of a hassle lol

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#10 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

eBay acts as a mediator, Paypal acts as a judge.

No reason for you to ask him to list it on eBay.
WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#11 Nspa32

Nspa32

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Okay; so PayPal it is then?

#12 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

Okay; so PayPal it is then?

Yes. He'll still get charged the 2.9% but that is the cost to cover you if something goes wrong.

eBay charges their fee for the marketing and exposure. (Among other things) No need for that. You already found what you need.
WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#13 sharks25

sharks25
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

On mod squad the person must have a certain number of posts in order to sell, so usually that makes them more trustworthy. If they were just there to scam people they wouldn't be wasting time posting in the threads.

#14 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Not to mention that incase you hadn't noticed, everyone here has sold/bought stuff over and over again.
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#15 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

they're the same company and both screw you over in fees,

Paypal will protect you so long as you don't pay in gift.

Look up his name on the feedback part, that usually can give you insight. You should be fine

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#16 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Pay with a credit card via paypal that way you can chargeback the card if all else fails ...

#17 Sabres

Sabres
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

I am willing to buy from seller if relatively close to me? And ship to you? If that makes you feel better? No charge!
Good luck!

#18 Nspa32

Nspa32

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

On mod squad the person must have a certain number of posts in order to sell, so usually that makes them more trustworthy. If they were just there to scam people they wouldn't be wasting time posting in the threads.

He PM'd from Modsquad. I created a thread about the product I wanted and he PM'd me that he'd sell me his. He didn't make a thread about it.

#19 Sabres

Sabres
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

He PM'd from Modsquad. I created a thread about the product I wanted and he PM'd me that he'd sell me his. He didn't make a thread about it.

Sounds like something that will get you blasted by mods! lol
Good luck, glad you found what you wanted!