Photo

Anyone using the latest and greatest protective?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Retail that is.  I thought that maybe for those of us who like to try out new equipment as it comes out, it may be interesting to tell people what you think about it.

I've picked up some of the new Warrior protective.  I have have a pair of the APX1 Shoulders and Elbows and a pair of the APX2 Shoulders.  I tried both the mediums and larges in the shoulders and was able to fit comfortably in the mediums.  Both are lightweight and fairly low profile (I prefer to not have a robocop feel on the ice).  I was confused about the true differences between the AX1s and AX2s.  Having them both in hand, the caps are actually slightly smaller on the AX1s, but basically the same shape.  The AX1s have two-piece bicep guards, while the AX2s are one piece (I think I actually prefer the one piece), but other than that, the differences are in the materials and I don't personally see much practical difference in the fit or mobility.  They're both mobile and protective.  The body of the pads reminds me of the Projekts, which I thought were also nice, but unlike the Projekts, these seem to not be so wide sitting across the shoulders.  As a point of reference, I liked the way the Projekts fit in the body, but thought that the caps were too wide fitting for my body type.  These are more form fitting. 

Admittedly I have not worn either pair on the ice for more than a few times yet, so this is really only based on minimal ice time.

If you're like me and couldn't see the pads side by side, here you go.

file_zpsf8ad3c51.jpg

file_zps73ff90c6.jpg

The elbow pads are nice and very jofa-esque.  They definitely lock in at the elbows and don't seem to slip as much as my 7Ks did.  I haven't had them out of the ice (between seasons), but they seem like they have a lot of potential.  The AX1s are a bit bulky, but if you've been wearing Jofas, then I'd say that they're similar in bulk.

Now, I have a question - is anyone trying the Reebok 20K protective?  I've heard it is extremely lightweight.  I haven't had a chance to try it on, but was particularly wondering about the shoulder pad sizing.  I'm wearing mediums in the Warriors and tend to be between mediums and larges depending on the brand.  At 5'10, 190 I seem to be right in between the suggested sizing in the 20Ks.  In the past I've had to wear larges in the 10K (those were the last Reeboks I wore).  Similar sizing?

#2 BigCy76

BigCy76
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I tried on the 20k and was VERY impressed with the weight ( lack of ) and also thought of it being very protective, I wear Mediums but the 20k Mediums were a tad big so the small was a better tighter fit which I prefered. So they pretty much kept the same sizing as the Jofa's.

I currently wear Easton RS because of how light it is but my next pads will more than likely be 20k's ...

If you're considering selling off anything Bruins, CONTACT ME FIRST !!!

Feedback

#3 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'm M/L in Jofa, LOL.

#4 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Interesting post Gr8erade and good idea for a thread.

I haven't had a chance to try on the Dynasty equipment in my size just yet - I saw some early demo stuff in medium a while back, but believe I'd take a large and none of the stores near me have them in stock yet. I currently use the 2012 blue and grey Projekt elbows and am debating picking up a second pair of those on clearance as a backup pair for when mine wear out or eventually getting the new AX1 elbows - last year I tried on all the new top end elbows and went with the Projekts. The CCM CL U+ were a close runner up, but the bicep guard on the Projekts felt more comfortable for me on the Projekts. I also wear the 2010 Projekt shin pads and was thinking of either getting the 2012 Projekts on closeout at some point before my size is all sold out or just waiting and eventually getting the AX1 shins.

I only play non-contact men's league now so I'm fine with my Farrells sans caps for shoulder pads, but do occasionally try on the new high end shoulders out of curiousity. I liked the fit and feel of the 2012 Blue and Grey Projekts when I tried them on last year - when you were comparing  the Dynasty pads to the Projekts were they the 2012 grey and blue ones or the 2010 white ones?

Have you ever tried on the 2012 blue and grey elbows? If so, how would you say the AX1 elbows compare to those (or the CCM U+ CLs) in terms of mobility?

I love trying out all the new gear when I can - haven't picked up anything new just yet, but have had a chance to try on some of the new stuff like the Mako protective line.

The shins were comfortable and look like they would breath well (they have perforated foams and cut outs that seem like they'd be good for air flow). The only thing I didn't love was the top strap that goes behind the calf - you have to loop it in every time you put them on unlike the strapping systems of say Bauer and Warrior where they have the neoprene like strap that you just Velcro to the front.

The elbows were nice, but I still prefer my 2012 Projekts and would also rank the CCM U+ CL ahead of the Makos as well in terms of comfort and mobility.

The Shoulders are unique in that they fit more like a vest - the chest piece overlaps and velcros together. They felt pretty nice and mobile, but not as mobiles as I remember the 2012 Projekts feeling and certainly not as light as something like the CCM U+ CLs. I'm 6'2" with a 45" chest and can usually fit into both a large and XL in shoulder pads - most of the time I choose a large as I prefer things to be as form fitting as possible as long as they're comfortable and not restrictive. In this case though I could not get a large Easton Mako shoulder pad done up - the XL did up fine over the chest, but it felt like the bicep guard was a bit long...the biceps guards can be adjusted though so I think I'd be fine in an XL if I was going to buy those pads.

I'm looking forward to trying the AX1 protective when I get a chance, but in the meantime feedback from people who have tried it on or used it is certainly very interesting and welcome.

#5 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

I did not try the blue/grey Projekts, so I'm referring to the white ones, both retail and the pro version. The difference between those being the shoulder caps. I did like the white Projekt elbows, thought they were very mobile.

I did try the Makos. I liked the vest type idea, but found the chest piece to feel a bit too bulky. I probably would have liked a mid-level version of them, but the top end seemed a little much for me. I did not like the Mako elbows. They just didn't work for me and I didn't like the strapping.

#6 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Agreed on the chest piece feeling a little bulky on the Makos. The elbows felt OK for me, but not nearly as nice as the Projekt or CCM CLs. The shins were my favourite piece of the protective line - I just wish the top strap was similar to the style Bauer and Warrior use.

I owned the white Projekt elbows before the new grey and blue ones. The white ones were very mobile and comfortable, but they weren't the most protective pads out there (I took a hard spill that left me with a bad bruise and tender elbow in those, whereas similar spills in other high end elbows would hardly faze me). The blue and grey elbows beefed up the protection with harder caps, but still offer great mobility - I've been tripped and landed on my elbow and slammed into the boards and they've protected well. The forearm guards on those feel a little bulky when you try them on, but while using them you don't notice. The 2012 blue and grey projekts are the best elbow pads I've used (previously used the 2010 versions, Bauer One90s before that, Nike V14s before that and some old Jofas before that...not sure of the model number as it was ages ago) so it'll be hard to top them.

I tried both the white and the blue and grey projekt shoulder pads and while the white ones were nice I did feel they improved the mobility in the blue and grey versions.

#7 MikeO

MikeO
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'm also curious about Reebok's 20K line.  I happen to be in Irvine, CA for work right now, and am going to head over to Hockey Monkey's retail store to check them out.  I'm particularly interested in their elbows as I need a new pair.  I know their prior protective was quite a leap away from their pro protective...so I'm curious to see how this new line compares.  

#8 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'll be interested to read what you and anyone else thinks about any of the protective.

I played last night in the Warrior AX2 shoulders in a very, very warm rink.  They were pretty good for mobility, but felt pretty warm on.  But honestly, I think anything would have felt really warm yesterday.  

They did dry quickly, as by this morning, they weren't damp at all.

#9 flyers10

flyers10

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Gr8erade, are you using the AX2 or a new Bauer APX2 shoulder? Also, any update on the elbows?

#10 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sorry, typo.  AX2 Warriors last night.....   I opted to wear my old Easton pro elbows, so no update on the elbows from actually on ice experience....  Maybe tomorrow!

#11 MikeO

MikeO
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

So, I tried on quite a few pairs of elbows yesterday, and I ended up with a pair that I wasn't even expecting.  I tried Reebok 20K, 18K, last years 11K and 9K, along with with the Warrior AX1.  Out of all those, I ended up with the Reebok 9K.

How? Well, it really was between the 9K and the AX1.  

The 20K was really disappointing for me.  It wasn't comfortable, the bicep guard was poorly designed and didn't fit well (it didn't really go around the bicep, it was poorly attached to the main body and didn't move well), the securing strap (the middle strap) could barely reach the velcro, not enough for it to even secure properly, while the forearm lock strap was too long (made no sense). I thought I might have had a dud, but tried more than one pair/size with the same result. This was the pad I was most excited to try, and most let down by.

The 18K actually fit better than the 20K, but struck me as cheaply constructed.

I can't speak too much of last years 11K as they didn't have any in my size.  I tried a size smaller but it was just not doable....

The AX1.  I must say, is very impressive.  Excellent quality in construction, great protection, comfortable, mobile, secure with no slipping.  The only thing I didn't like was the strap on the bicep guard was way too big.  They must assume we all have Chris Neil biceps, as they were still incredibly loose even fully tightened (and I'm not a linky guy).  If I had bought the AX1, I would have had to alter the straps to make them work.

The 9K isn't as good as the AX1, but it's not too far off.  Protection wise, it's just a tad less protective, yet still offered great coverage (much better than my old elbows, NikeBauer Vapor XXVs).  It was equally mobile, comfortable, and had no slippage.  I feel the 9K is pretty well constructed, better than Reebok's current line. They remind me a lot of the 10K I still see some NHL'rs wear, albeit black.  

So why the 9K?  Ultimately it came down to the difference of price outweighing the differences in the pad.  I got the 9K on clearance for $50, where the AX1 was $90.  If they were the same price, or even if the 9K was 10-15 bucks less, I would have grabbed the AX1's...but with a $40 difference, I feel I'm getting a hell of an elbow pad for the price.  The AX1 is a better pad, no doubt, and If the 9K doesn't hold up, I won't hesitate to get the AX1.  I'll know for sure tomorrow night as it will be the first time I've played in them.

Hope this helps!

#12 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

The AX1.  I must say, is very impressive.  Excellent quality in construction, great protection, comfortable, mobile, secure with no slipping.  The only thing I didn't like was the strap on the bicep guard was way too big.  They must assume we all have Chris Neil biceps, as they were still incredibly loose even fully tightened (and I'm not a linky guy).  If I had bought the AX1, I would have had to alter the straps to make them work.

Warrior designed their bicep guards to fit loose by design. It's so that the bicep guards on their shoulder pads can slide into the bicep guards on the elbow pads - this leaves no gap in protection, but the pads don't interfere with each other. I have the Warrior Projekt pads and they're also like this - I actually find the loose bicep guard to be quite comfortable - it's one of the reasons I went with the Projekts over the CCM CLs (they have a tight bicep guard) last year when I picked up new elbow pads.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the RBK pads as well as the AX1. No one has the AX1's in stock around me yet. I can't wait to try them and see how they compare to my 2012 Projekts.

#13 gator

gator

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

So, I tried on quite a few pairs of elbows yesterday, and I ended up with a pair that I wasn't even expecting.  I tried Reebok 20K, 18K, last years 11K and 9K, along with with the Warrior AX1.  Out of all those, I ended up with the Reebok 9K.

How? Well, it really was between the 9K and the AX1.  

The 20K was really disappointing for me.  It wasn't comfortable, the bicep guard was poorly designed and didn't fit well (it didn't really go around the bicep, it was poorly attached to the main body and didn't move well), the securing strap (the middle strap) could barely reach the velcro, not enough for it to even secure properly, while the forearm lock strap was too long (made no sense). I thought I might have had a dud, but tried more than one pair/size with the same result. This was the pad I was most excited to try, and most let down by.

The 18K actually fit better than the 20K, but struck me as cheaply constructed.

I can't speak too much of last years 11K as they didn't have any in my size.  I tried a size smaller but it was just not doable....

The 9K isn't as good as the AX1, but it's not too far off.  Protection wise, it's just a tad less protective, yet still offered great coverage (much better than my old elbows, NikeBauer Vapor XXVs).  It was equally mobile, comfortable, and had no slippage.  I feel the 9K is pretty well constructed, better than Reebok's current line. They remind me a lot of the 10K I still see some NHL'rs wear, albeit black.  

So why the 9K?  Ultimately it came down to the difference of price outweighing the differences in the pad.  I got the 9K on clearance for $50, where the AX1 was $90.  If they were the same price, or even if the 9K was 10-15 bucks less, I would have grabbed the AX1's...but with a $40 difference, I feel I'm getting a hell of an elbow pad for the price.  The AX1 is a better pad, no doubt, and If the 9K doesn't hold up, I won't hesitate to get the AX1.  I'll know for sure tomorrow night as it will be the first time I've played in them.

Hope this helps!

I used to have 11k elbows and replaced them with AX1's about 3-4 weeks ago. I agree with everything that has been said about the AX1's, they are very well made with what seem to be high quality materials, protective, and comfortable. A bit bulky, but I'm guessing anyone who is looking at a top line pad is looking for max protection won't mind this. I did not consider Reebok again because as soon as I saw the strapping system on the 20k's I knew I would have the same issues/annoyances as I did with the 11k's. 

Warrior designed their bicep guards to fit loose by design. It's so that the bicep guards on their shoulder pads can slide into the bicep guards on the elbow pads - this leaves no gap in protection, but the pads don't interfere with each other. I have the Warrior Projekt pads and they're also like this - I actually find the loose bicep guard to be quite comfortable - it's one of the reasons I went with the Projekts over the CCM CLs (they have a tight bicep guard) last year when I picked up new elbow pads.

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the RBK pads as well as the AX1. No one has the AX1's in stock around me yet. I can't wait to try them and see how they compare to my 2012 Projekts.

I like the loose biceps as well, it does feel less restrictive and once you use them, it seems a lot more logical. The regular/tight bicep straps on my 11k's used to come loose during games often, has not happened at all with the AX1's. I'm not sure what the Projekt pads were like, but the AX1's are very similar to Rbk/Jofa 8k Pros, which I also have. 

#14 Stothers86

Stothers86
  • LocationToronto Ontario

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

This topic is really making me want to try the AX1's. I've tried on the CL's and the projekts, I like the white version more then the grey/blue but I decided to hold off till I can try on the AX1's. I'm really leaning towards the CL's so far

#15 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

This topic is really making me want to try the AX1's. I've tried on the CL's and the projekts, I like the white version more then the grey/blue but I decided to hold off till I can try on the AX1's. I'm really leaning towards the CL's so far

Warning on the white version of the Projekts - they're very comfortable and mobile, but they aren't as protective as the grey/blue ones. Those are the pads I had before the grey/blue ones and the reason I switched was because I was tripped and fell on my elbow and had a bad bruise and tender elbow for a week or two after that. I felt a top end pad should've protected me better...other top end elbows I had protected me during similar falls and the blue and grey Projekts have as well. They're very mobile, but they're not as protective as some of the other top end pads.

The grey/blue ones feel more bulky when you first put them on (especially the forearm area), but in practice I find them to be just as mobile, they're much more protective and they also lock your elbow in better. If you go the Projekt route I highly recommend the blue/grey ones over the white ones.

The CLs were my second favourite pads when I tried on all the top end stuff last spring...they're still my second favourite behind the Projekts, but I haven't had a chance to try the AX1's.

#16 Stothers86

Stothers86
  • LocationToronto Ontario

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'll take note of that. The blue/grey projekts look more "pointed" in the elbow where the others aren't. That's what was turning me off on those. Either way I think I like the CL's better but the projekts are on sale now so to save some money I was considering them. But I will wait to try the AX1 first

#17 flyers10

flyers10

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

How does the sizing run on the ax1 elbows?

#18 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'll take note of that. The blue/grey projekts look more "pointed" in the elbow where the others aren't. That's what was turning me off on those. Either way I think I like the CL's better but the projekts are on sale now so to save some money I was considering them. But I will wait to try the AX1 first

They are definitely more pointed than the white Projekts - they fit deeper, but that also locks the elbow in really well. I found with the white projekts I had to size down to a medium (I've used large in every other elbow pad in my adult life) and they fit snug when dry, but after I got really sweating they could be shifted by a hook or hold. The blue/grey ones fit true to size and I wear a large in them, but they fit deeper and narrower - even when I'm hooked or held they stay in place.

The CL's also feel very nice - the loose bicep guards on the Projekts was just more comfortable for me and that's why I went with them. Hopefully the AX1's appear somewhere in GTA soon.

#19 gator

gator

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

How does the sizing run on the ax1 elbows?

For me the AX1 fit the same as my Reeboks.

U+CL was the other elbow I was considering too. I like the light weight of the CL gear (I have the shoulders), but the AX1's elbow cup + strapping system worked better for me and overall everything feels high quality. Also have to say, the new anti-odor liner on the AX1 is nice to have, I'm all for anything that can help control gear odor.  

#20 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

I picked up a pair of 20K shoulders to try out.  They'll go on the ice with me tonight for the first time, but off-ice impressions of them are positive.  I ended up needing a large (as compared to wearing mediums in the Warrior line).  They are pretty low profile and very light.  The caps are large, but pretty form fitting.  One modification that I made already was to stitch the bicep guards to a piece of elastic, swapping out the velcro straps that came on the pads.  I found that the velcro straps caught up a little bit on the caps and they also made that annoying velcro noise as they rubbed against the caps when I moved.  So basically I doubled over a wide piece of elastic and looped it through the attachment loop on the caps and stitched the elastic to the top of the bicep guards.  I think this will make me happier and it is easily reversible if I have to come up with another solution.

For the question about the fit on the AX1 elbows, I went with mediums.  In comparison, I have size 5 Jofas, medium Easton 700s, and wear mediums in most other retail elbows.