Photo

Anyone using the latest and greatest protective?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Going to bump this thread.....

Excuse the selfies, but frankly, seeing these lying flat in the catalogs doesn't really tell anyone much about how they fit on a body.

APX2

file_zpseb6b0e6f.jpg

file_zpsf59de5df.jpg

CCM RBZ

file_zps5b481160.jpg

file_zpsf9cf44ac.jpg

Old pair of Bauer 6000s with Warrior caps to compare

file_zps50a03b76.jpg

file_zpsa226507d.jpg

Like most, I'm always looking for a low profile, lightweight, non-restrictive pair of shoulder pads.   I've tried a lot of them and usually end up back in the Bauers eventually.  The trouble with the older Bauers is that they do soak up sweat.   The newer tech liners do a better job at keeping my dry.

I've been wearing the APX2s for a month or so and have really liked them.   The RBZs showed up last week and I've worn them in one game.  Both of them are very lightweight, and neither of them soak up sweat.  For top-end pads, they're also pretty low profile.  You can see how they sit on my shoulders and compare.  As far as protection goes, I play in non-check leagues, but both leagues do have a tendency to become a little bit physical.   I've chased around guys half my age in the APX2s and taken and dished a few solid bumps and haven't felt exposed.   I had some net battles against some wily older guys in the RBZs, including some ex-NHL guys, and also felt well protected.

I had last year's CCM pads too, and they definitely were shorter in the torso.  I also didn't like the sternum or spine pads on those, I thought they stuck out too far.  The RBZs cured that defect, in my opinion.

The one thing to notice about both the RBZs and the APX2s is that the torso protection is pretty long compared to other shoulder pads.   Depending on how tight you wear you shoulder pads and how  tight you wear your pants, you might get some interference between the shoulders and the hip pads.  I wear lower fitting hip pads, so these both work well for me.

Oh, size-wise, all three of these are larges.

Hope this helps.

#22 Scdp99

Scdp99

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Was thinking of rbz but will stick to my kfs reebok for the reasons you state

#23 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

It's great to see someone comparing these two shoulder pads - I think those are the two new retail pads that most people looking for a light, mobile, high end solution would consider. Personally, I have a hard time moving away from the Farrell pads I'm using since they're so mobile and comfortable (especially with the bigger caps removed), however; they weigh about twice as much as these two and do soak up some sweat. If I decide to try something else in the future it would likely be one of these or perhaps the old CL.

How do the RBZ and APX2 pads compare in terms of comfort and mobility to each other and to the old 6000's?

It looks like the RBZ pads would have better ventilation since they have the holes in the front and back. It also looks like the APX2 covers a bit more of the upper chest. In use do the RBZ pads breath a little better with the holes and a little less coverage in the upper chest?

#24 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Last pair of Bauer shoulders i have used is a Vapor XXXX and those where probably the worst pads ever.  Switch to the CL at the start of last year and it was just light and day.

I'm waiting for my pair of Warrior pro-series to come in so i can decide if i switch for next year or not.

#25 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

For shoulders, elbows and pants, CL has been great for me. Only complaint is the shortness of the CL elbows, which RBZ looks to have fixed. Took a puck last night to my forearm right at the gap between glove elbow and it left a golf ball bruise. Luckily, ice and all this hocus pocus healing stuff I got here has the golf ball bump down to a little lump 24 hours later. I tried on everything in the stores, but nothing comes close to touching CL in these 3 categories, IMO. I have gotten smashed in the back a few times by losers (literally, guys who just did not like losing), and have hit the deck hard on each occasion, but no pain on any occasion. Also, quite a few inadvertent collisions as high speeds where shoulders collided, again no pain. Oh and head on too lol. And yea, no pain, no bruise, nothing.

For gloves, shins, skates, stick, I prefer other stuff than CL though:

Helmet I like my Re-AKT, but prefer Inhaler in a hot rink.

Shins, not pleased with NXG, and will be trying Nexus 8000 for more robust coverage.

Skates: Mako- love em.

Gloves- tried APX, and Warrior Remix LE, and Warrior Covert DT2 Bone x- still want something with tight fit in hands + wrist mobility + protection. None of these gloves hits all 3.

Stick- Mako II Pro stock shaft + Warrior Dynasty AX1T paddle- love it.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#26 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Gloves- tried APX, and Warrior Remix LE, and Warrior Covert DT2 Bone x- still want something with tight fit in hands + wrist mobility + protection. None of these gloves hits all 3.

As far as latest and greatest models go, the Easton Synergy HSX gloves may be worth trying. I tried them on at the Modsquad Winterfest and December and they had a snug fit in the backroll, but opened up around the wrist. The reviewer on the Hockeyworld Blog also mentions a narrow/snug fit: http://www.hockeywor...-gloves-review/

I do know that an older model glove I own that has the attributes you're describing - the 2010/2011 Warrior Projekt gloves. They're very protective with the bone system, fit tight in the fingers and back roll, but offer great wrist mobility with their blooming cuff. I also own the 2012 Projekts and they are protective and fit tight, but the wrist area is also snug. The 2010/2011 version is probably tough to find now, but these would be what you're looking for: http://www.hockeywor...ockey-Gloves-Sr

#27 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Give the new supremes a try. Way better than the old ones.

#28 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

As far as latest and greatest models go, the Easton Synergy HSX gloves may be worth trying. I tried them on at the Modsquad Winterfest and December and they had a snug fit in the backroll, but opened up around the wrist. The reviewer on the Hockeyworld Blog also mentions a narrow/snug fit: http://www.hockeywor...-gloves-review/

I do know that an older model glove I own that has the attributes you're describing - the 2010/2011 Warrior Projekt gloves. They're very protective with the bone system, fit tight in the fingers and back roll, but offer great wrist mobility with their blooming cuff. I also own the 2012 Projekts and they are protective and fit tight, but the wrist area is also snug. The 2010/2011 version is probably tough to find now, but these would be what you're looking for: http://www.hockeywor...ockey-Gloves-Sr

A couple of people who I speak with in retail have been saying the same thing: Easton HSX. I will likely go with the 80, as I read that the HSX smells up quickly. I like the more durable, less stinky getting palms anyway. So yes, I will give them a shot in the store, and will see if I like them enough to drop the $80-100 for them.

Give the new supremes a try. Way better than the old ones.

I tried the NXGs in the store. Felt like handcuffs at the wrists.

To me, I can try things on in store, and if they do not feel right, then they never make it to ice (since ya know, I need to buy them and cannot return once used). Even in store, I find things feel good, then I take them out to ice, and because the game is so fast, and we are bending and moving in all different directions, stuff that was fine when I was standing still, all of a sudden does not work. So yes, I never tried the NXGs in game and will likely never, but thx for the rec.

#29 lakings4

lakings4

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

I got the APX2 pro gloves and so far so good, really liking these gloves, best I've had so far.  I think they check off everything on your list.  But I'm coming from a Bauer 4 roll, so I guess "tight" is relative...

#30 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

I got the APX2 pro gloves and so far so good, really liking these gloves, best I've had so far.  I think they check off everything on your list.  But I'm coming from a Bauer 4 roll, so I guess "tight" is relative...

I tried on a pair of APX2s on in December 2013. I was not really feeling them, but I think they were the retail.

#31 lakings4

lakings4

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

I tried on a pair of APX2s on in December 2013. I was not really feeling them, but I think they were the retail.

If I remember correctly the fit in the fingers and backhand area is pretty much the same, I just prefered the different/smaller "pro" cuff.

#32 schneider57

schneider57

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

The Bauer’s with the warrior caps for sale ?