Photo

True/VH Hockey skates

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#261 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

Makes complete sense, just had occurred to me as I scrolled through that what I said may be the reason. You would think they should be flat all the way back in case someone did choose longer holders.

#262 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

Someone blacked out the chrome on the VH skates and it looks really good to be honest:

fomgmLg.jpg

Custom everything.

#263 Sniper9

Sniper9

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

Not a fan of blacking out the logo. It's a logo. The branding of of the company. I don't think the logo looks bad at all. In fact it's simple and clean. But to each their own. Blacking it out just makes it look like Spiderman eyes.

#264 Sniper9

Sniper9

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Not sure if this is common with the True boot mounted to the True holder:
yLVspPT.png

JTkoCW3.png

Mine were completely flat. I guess every pair will be very different as it's molded to the individual's foot scan... There's a six mth warranty so if it leads to functional issues, it should be taken care of.

#265 nicktsigos

nicktsigos

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:12 AM

Going for the scan this week. I’m on the fence with the built in shot blockers. Leaning more towards doing it but has anyone with them have any cons?

Not sure how i feel about the true holder, are the holes pretty close if I decide on tuuks later or just order boot only and do tuuks from the jump?

#266 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:49 AM

I went with the shot blockers. It’s only an extra 30g per foot. The skates are tanks but you don’t even notice when you’re skating.

I was really nervous when I first ordered them that they would be super heavy but nothing to worry about.

Better be to be safe than have some donkey hit your ankle with a puck.

#267 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:37 PM

A skate that fits your foot 100% properly always feels light. My super tacks felt like cinder blocks on my feet and they’re lighter than vh/true skates.

#268 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

Are VH skates always painful when putting your foot In? There must be a trick...

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#269 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

Are VH skates always painful when putting your foot In? There must be a trick...

Ya its because of how tight they are at the ankle after moulding. Scroll back a few pages, Dupes posted the old VH video that has some tricks.

#270 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

You're a good man. Thanks!

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#271 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:15 AM

Here's the best way I've found to put on my VH skates:

Unlace the first eyelet (and second eyelet, if needed), pull all the slack upward and then down the boot, and pull the tongue up so that's slightly in front of the eyelets:

7n2mkuB.png

edJQsXV.png

Put your foot into to the boot at a tilt of about a 35-40 degree angle. With this much room, you should be able to get about 75% of your foot into the boot without a problem. For the extra 25% (mainly the heel), you'll want to pull the tongue up with one hand (this prevents the tongue from slipping down and blocking your foot/making it super tight), and with the other hand cup the base of the ankle (above the holder) and pull up while pushing and twisting the foot down and flat. With some force, the ankle should slip in and lock in place. 

Whether it's with a bare foot or with a sock, you shouldn't feel much or any pain -- only a bit of rubbing and pressure on the top of your foot from the felt tongue and out-step sidewall. If you feel any scratching or numbness, then you may want to fold out the sidewalls or trim the tongues for more foot room.

#272 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 04 April 2018 - 06:00 AM

This is how I figured out how to properly put mine on :LOL:

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#273 nicktsigos

nicktsigos

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

I was just scanned, now we play the waiting game...... Went with integrated shot blockers, white felt tongue, and will be mounting TUUK edge holders.   I have a brand new set of 280's hoping they fit the skates, I'm normally a 9-9.5D in skates so it should be fine.

#274 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Did anyone get the upgraded/thicker tongues?

I got the standard ones and when I’m leaning forward when skating the tongues are creasing and digging into the top of my foot / ankle

Hoping maybe if I get the better tongues it might help

#275 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

Why don't you adjust/extend the tongues then? I have the thicker tongue and like it, but you should be able to modify the tongue position so it doesn't dig in like that.

#276 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:11 PM

Did anyone get the upgraded/thicker tongues?

I got the standard ones and when I’m leaning forward when skating the tongues are creasing and digging into the top of my foot / ankle

Hoping maybe if I get the better tongues it might help

This was one thing I've noticed since the True switch over. They don't appear to be making the standard tongues with a plastic insert that runs up the middle. Not sure if it's a part of the upgraded option, but when I was looking at my co-workers skates, I figured this would cause lace bite sooner than later... Especially since its only single felt.

VH offered an "enhanced metatarsal" tongue. If possible, see if it's an option and get it. While it will be quite a bit stiffer, your top foot will thank you.

#277 nicktsigos

nicktsigos

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

I didn’t see a thicker tongue option. Black/white felt, thin tongue and metatarsal tongue. I picked white felt hoping I made the right choice.

#278 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:55 PM

I didn’t see a thicker tongue option. Black/white felt, thin tongue and metatarsal tongue. I picked white felt hoping I made the right choice.

You don't want a thicker tongue (double felt). You'll have volume issues.

I believe it's the "enhanced metatarsal" tongue.

#279 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

I have a VH pair, and the tongues are super thick.  So much so that I feel like I can't lace up too tightly or I end up cutting off circulation to my toes.  I came from NXG's, which had thin tongues, so I'm still adjusting.  I might try a thinner pair at some point.

#280 ChrisMolnar

ChrisMolnar
  • LocationNY

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

I have the chance to get a pair of basically new true skates in my size for a reasonable price because the original buyer didn't like the pitch of the skate. I was able to skate on them, and they fit very well. I've been skating on Mako 2's for the past year that fit perfectly, so I know (generally) how the skates themselves are supposed to feel.

The only issue that I have with the True is they're slightly too narrow in the ball of the foot/forefoot region. With the way the toe cap is attached to the rest of the boot, is it possible to slightly punch the area out? The ankle, arch, heel, and instep all felt great, but if it's not possible the stretch the area mentioned, it's not going to be worth the money.

Thank you to anyone that can give me some info!