Photo

True/VH Hockey skates

• Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#41 PaulKariya

PaulKariya
  • LocationBC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

When you guys say custom pairs, are you flying to Winnipeg so Scott gets laser images of your feet?

#42 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

When you guys say custom pairs, are you flying to Winnipeg so Scott gets laser images of your feet?

They send you specific papers to trace your feet

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#43 PaulKariya

PaulKariya
  • LocationBC

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Ah I see

#44 weskuz

weskuz
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

My new baes
Ls2 with black step.
image-40.jpg
-Looking for Warrior Goligoski gloves
-Looking for Florida Everblades gear

#45 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

They look nice with the plain patch behind the toe cap. Sweet wheels, enjoy!

#46 borderland

borderland

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Anyone coming off apx2's and going to these?  How do they compare?

#47 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Anyone coming off apx2's and going to these?  How do they compare?

I've tried: Graf Supras, Supreme TOs, RBK 20Ks, NXGs, APX2s, and MX3s.

These skates do not fit like a traditional skate, however, the closest thing these would resemble would be a combination of a Mako skate with a Supreme pitch (neutral). HOWEVER, you can customize the skate any way you like. You can add shims, request a different holder, or get the runners profiled to match the APX2s forward pitch. But as far as fit is concerned, these will feel the closest thing to wearing a pair of shoes... unlike any retail skate you've put on your foot (a Mako skate is close, however they aren't custom molded to your foot, so there's only a slight resemblance). There will be very minimal negative space in the boot, so it'll feel snug like a sock. The footbeds have great support for high arches, however, I have heard of some people with flat feet having some minor issues (having to swap out the beds for some Superfeet).

Most people who order them, love them (myself included). The fit is unreal. 

There are a few things I'd recommend requesting before ordering a pair. These requests aren't listed on the website nor in the order forms, however they'll extend the life of your boots and they'll make the boot much more comfortable. Send me a PM if you're seriously interested in buying.

#48 weskuz

weskuz
  • LocationPA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

MLX and VH skates are the only skates I have owned that didn't hurt my feet on the first skate. The wrap on your foot is unbelievable.
-Looking for Warrior Goligoski gloves
-Looking for Florida Everblades gear

#49 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:28 PM

MLX and VH skates are the only skates I have owned that didn't hurt my feet on the first skate. The wrap on your foot is unbelievable.

This. Just used mine tonight for the first time. Even unbaked out of the box I could have worn them as is and been fine. Really impressed so far with the initial fit. 

73jEqLm.jpg?1

#50 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

They loom amazing. I wish I could justify buying a pair! Any idea if they will ever try to hit retail?
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#51 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

This. Just used mine tonight for the first time. Even unbaked out of the box I could have worn them as is and been fine. Really impressed so far with the initial fit. 

Hopefully my suggestions helped you out (if you used them)! From the looks of it, looks like you got the most comfortable/durable skate you can get. Also, I'd highly recommend baking them, as they'll fit even better. I have some baking instructions if you need them, just let me know.

Also, just a heads up. The screw on the toe cap tends to come lose, so take a screw driver and crank it in. I lost one when I didn't do that, but after cranking, they haven't budged.

They loom amazing. I wish I could justify buying a pair! Any idea if they will ever try to hit retail?

Most likely not, since he's a small shop. He does offer some non-custom skates that are cheaper, and from what I've read, his sizes are similar to Bauer sizing, but you can always shoot Scott an e-mail and ask. However, I'm not sure I'd recommend his skates for non-custom fits, because it'll pretty much be like you're buying a Mako skate.

Go with custom VH skates if you have different size length and width feet OR if like a really, really snug fit (like a sock). Else, you may find that you won't like them much and wasted your money.

Typical turn around for custom VH skates is 2-3 weeks.

#52 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Dupes, I was more concerned with fitting my narrow, low volume feet than aesthetics, but the look is a nice bonus.

Mine don't have a screw for the tongue Velcro. I haven't examined sandwiched in between the layers of the toe cap.

#53 flip12

flip12

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

However, I'm not sure I'd recommend his skates for non-custom fits, because it'll pretty much be like you're buying a Mako skate.

I'd get stock VH over Makos. I don't think of them as quite so interchangeable. I haven't skated in both, so it's not a completely informed position to hold, but if I could afford one or the other and had to chose, I'd get VH.

#54 - M

- M

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

Has anyone purchased the stock ones yet?  Supremes and Makos fit me the best so these may be a good alternative as well.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#55 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

I'd get stock VH over Makos. I don't think of them as quite so interchangeable. I haven't skated in both, so it's not a completely informed position to hold, but if I could afford one or the other and had to chose, I'd get VH.

The main reason I'd recommend an Easton Mako over VH stock is that the VH stock skate won't hold up nearly as long. For example, the copper rivet that holds the tendon guard on will come loose within 3-4 months (both on my skates came loose around the 3½ month mark). I had to request Scott to make it flexible, as the stock set up is too rigid. Also, I found the stock tongue to be a bit meh. It lacked the overall comfort you'd find in a retail single-felt tongue (it's VERY thin, perhaps too thin). And the all-carbon toe lacks a protective coat, so it takes a beating and shows it (carbon coated/plastidipped toe cap will fix this). 

This is why I'd go VH custom or Easton Mako before VH stock. The stock version you can't specify these fixes, so you're left with a good skate, but not GREAT skate.

#56 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:06 PM

Updated 3/12/15: Due to new details coming to light, I no longer support this company.

#57 - M

- M

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

The main reason I'd recommend an Easton Mako over VH stock is that the VH stock skate won't hold up nearly as long. For example, the copper rivet that holds the tendon guard on will come loose within 3-4 months (both on my skates came loose around the 3½ month mark). I had to request Scott to make it flexible, as the stock set up is too rigid. Also, I found the stock tongue to be a bit meh. It lacked the overall comfort you'd find in a retail single-felt tongue (it's VERY thin, perhaps too thin). And the all-carbon toe lacks a protective coat, so it takes a beating and shows it (carbon coated/plastidipped toe cap will fix this). 

This is why I'd go VH custom or Easton Mako before VH stock. The stock version you can't specify these fixes, so you're left with a good skate, but not GREAT skate.

I'm wondering what's the reasoning behind having a rivet holding the tendon guard in place though?  Does the flexible version have a copper rivet as well?  I haven't noticed it on any other manufacturer's boot but if that is a weak point for VH's stock boots, why not use a different method?

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#58 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

I'm wondering what's the reasoning behind having a rivet holding the tendon guard in place though?  Does the flexible version have a copper rivet as well?  I haven't noticed it on any other manufacturer's boot but if that is a weak point for VH's stock boots, why not use a different method?

Perhaps the only thing strong enough/non-destructive/comformable to hold it to an all carbon fiber boot versus the MLX's thermoplastic boot with a 3-point screw mounting system. The flexible version still uses a copper rivet as well, but it allows it more movement backward before it starts putting pressure on the rivet. The stock version was too rigid, so as soon as you pushed back on the tendon guard, you were adding pressure to the rivet (like the back of a hammer pulling out a nail). Over time, this rivet would come loose and pull away from the tendon guard and clarino padding.

So far, I haven't had any problems with the flexible tendon guard and it's been about 4 months and counting.

Here's a picture of what it looks like pulled away:

wBXwl2s.jpg

4HbPN0q.jpg

#59 flip12

flip12

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

The thin tongue is actually the one thing I'm working on fixing in my MLX, but for me it really only affects the area just behind the toe box, about 1-square inch. With the right material and the right shape pad, it'll be perfect. Otherwise, the tongue has been extremely comfortable for me.

I know the tendon guard area is still a concern, but Easton's had their share of problems with structural failure in Makos too.

Thank you for your custom request guide though, that is a huge help. I hope I can afford VH custom soon. The felt tongues look great. Do they still have the moldable lace bite guard in the middle?

#60 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

VH representin' in the hometown: 

pus07iA.jpg