Photo

Questions for Montreal Members

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wbj

wbj

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

Coming to Montreal next week Thurs-Sun. My hotel is in the old Montreal/Bell Centre general vicinity.

I have some time to kill Thursday and most of Friday until the rest of the group gets there. 

A few questions:

1. What are some must see/do places to go, eat, etc? 

2. How easy is it to get around without a vehicle? Are there like zip cars, etc to use short term short of outright renting a car?

3. A group of about 6 of us were thinking about doing a pond/outdoor skate on Saturday or maybe Sunday morning... Are there any outdoor rinks in the area to do that? What times are there hockey? I saw an outdoor rollerblading rink near the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal... would that be a place?

4. Considering bringing all of my gear since I'll be bringing my skates/gloves/helmet anyways... are there any rinks with open hockey either Thursday night or Friday lunch in the area? Saw the Bill Durnan Arena has it Friday at 1..http://ville.montrea...&_schema=PORTAL Is that a decent skate? A lot of this goes back to question 2 though and how easy it is to get around.

Any insight would be much appreciated

#2 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

A few questions:

1. What are some must see/do places to go, eat, etc? 

2. How easy is it to get around without a vehicle? Are there like zip cars, etc to use short term short of outright renting a car?

3. A group of about 6 of us were thinking about doing a pond/outdoor skate on Saturday or maybe Sunday morning... Are there any outdoor rinks in the area to do that? What times are there hockey? I saw an outdoor rollerblading rink near the Springhill Suites in Old Montreal... would that be a place?

4. Considering bringing all of my gear since I'll be bringing my skates/gloves/helmet anyways... are there any rinks with open hockey either Thursday night or Friday lunch in the area? Saw the Bill Durnan Arena has it Friday at 1..http://ville.montrea...&_schema=PORTAL Is that a decent skate? A lot of this goes back to question 2 though and how easy it is to get around.

1-Dunn's famous smoked meat, the habs hall of fame located inside the bell centre, the downtown atmosphere, biodome (metro pie IX or viau)  If you're into history you can take a visit to the montreal forum (metro atwater) 

2-Depends where you are going. There is a metro survive that extends all over the city (http://www.stm.info/.../networks/metro) If you are staying around the bell centre/old montreal most likely the metro stop you would get on at is either lucien l'allier (directly under bell centre) or place d'armes/champs de mars. There could be one closer but I don't know exactly where your hotel is.

3-I don't think there are ODRs downtown but if you take the metro into suburbs such as westmount, ndg there are places to skate,

4-There are many rinks that offer shinny/drop in puck but if you're starting point is downtown to get to bill durnan you will need to metro or take a cab. There is a closer arena called gadbois but I'm not sure if they offer drop in time. 

This is all I can think of at this time, feel free to PM if you have any questions or need help with anything and I'll help you get around my city.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#3 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

Literally everything he said...

You can also take a tour bus about which will show you all the sites and's its in English. Its also reasonably priced.

Montreal is very easy to get about without a car, especially if you haven't driven here before.

#4 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

And do yourself a favour - don't drive here.

#5 ibeck

ibeck

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

And do yourself a favour - don't drive here.

Especially if you dont know shortcuts!

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#6 vikingsmtl

vikingsmtl

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Theres an ODR across from Dawson College on Sherbrooke about 2 Blocks North and 1 block west of the old Montreal Forum, pretty awesome rink too right in the city

#7 Nic

Nic

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

Am I missing that nobody told him Montreal is the place for strippers ??

Club Super Sexe, Chez Paré (classy place tho)....

Just saying ! KCCO bro !

#8 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Karma sutra.

There is no other place.

#9 olioli

olioli
  • LocationBearded Clam County

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Way too $$$$$$ rob :)

#10 wbj

wbj

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Had some time to kill today so I went to the Bleu Blanc et Rouge Rink at Willibrord Park in Verdun.

Ice was excellent and the weather was perfect. Always have skated indoors, so playing outdoors for the first time was one of the best hockey experiences I've ever had. 

Also, thanks for all the replies from the people above. 

#11 CAmmon

CAmmon

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

Bumping an old thread. I'm going to be in town for the weekend and was looking for stuff to do, maybe shops to visit for pro stock gear if thats an option, places to eat, things to visit etc.

#12 ibeck

ibeck

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:46 AM

Bumping an old thread. I'm going to be in town for the weekend and was looking for stuff to do, maybe shops to visit for pro stock gear if thats an option, places to eat, things to visit etc.

There are better individuals in montreal to meet with than stores to go to

Member #657