Beer League Beer Rotation Ideas

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hi all,

As many of you know, adult league hockey is not very cheap. Either is beer in Canada.

My question to the S2K community is...do any of your teams have creative beer systems in place that make it the most fair across the team and/or potentially gain revenue for the team to lower costs? The traditional go down the list and get each person to bring a 24 is flawed as many people miss games. Sure, some people may not care, but I'm all about being the most efficient!

Sponsorships (ie. kickbacks where you buy, say, 9 cases of Molson Canadian and you get 1 case for free) are a great idea but they may be hard to come by.

One example I've heard is from a team where 1 person is tasked with bringing 24 (and carrying the cost of the 24). Each player pitches in $2 for each beer they drink (cost is about $1.67), and all of the collected money is put back towards the team.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...and O' Canada!

#2 kc83

kc83

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

what my team does is we go in as a team and makes our own u-brew, we taste as it gets made and we all agree on the beer for the season... it only ends up costing us about 130 dollars for a 30 game season, and we get 2 beers each game.  It helps bring in the new guys whenever we have new guys join our team, its a big team bonding thing at the beginning of the year as well 

#3 Moose

Moose

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

We sell "Beer Cards". $50 for 20 beers. Every time you grab a beer, the team rep punches a hole in your ticket. At the end of the year the beer for the next season is almost all paid for. (We have a 24 of cans every game).

#4 Moose

Moose

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Our team rep keeps your ticket. They are just plain index cards. They have your name on with and numbers 1-20 printed on them. Once your beer card is full you can buy another one.

Last year we ended up with enough money for a team set of reebok edge socks and most of our second set of jerseys paid for.

#5 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

2 for $5. That covers costs, plus you usually get a case or two paid for at the end of the year, where no one has to pay for beer. That's what we do, anyway.

#6 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

The captain brings beer(on ice, in a cooler)... to every game. He collects money from each team member based on how much they drink: Platinum $30, Gold $20, or Silver $10. This system has worked for my team for years. Captains usually get a price break on league fees so even if a couple guys don't pay he isn't left royally screwed. Oh yeah, there is two cases, 48 cans, at every game for a 16 game season.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#7 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

Since it's the same 12 guys every week, a member of the losing team has to bring the beer the following week. This makes the games more meaningful for us haha

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?

#8 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Make it byob ....

It's pathetic seeing guys cry when the beer guy decides not to show up.
As for me , I cant drink beer cause I have no gallbladder hahahaha
So I avoid it all.

#9 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

I have no gallbladder and was never told I couldn't drink beer. I drink on occasion but would rather drink tequila or vodka.

#10 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

Thank god for the fridge directly in our locked dressing room.  We don't have to manage this or drink north american crap beer (sorry but once you are in EU you drink real beer).

Not saying there is no real beer in NA but it's outragesly expensive compared to crap (coors, molson, etc).

#11 special blend

special blend
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

Guy that runs our team adds the beer into our fees and then brings a 24 to every game.

#12 akaSmall_Kitten

akaSmall_Kitten

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

You guys who play on a team with the "captain" brining beer to each game owe that man.

I had to pickup and bring beer once as my friend could not make it , so annoying.
Couldn't imagine doing it each week.

#13 special blend

special blend
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

You guys who play on a team with the "captain" brining beer to each game owe that man.

I had to pickup and bring beer once as my friend could not make it , so annoying.
Couldn't imagine doing it each week.

Ours is a Farmer....most of the guys are. Has nothing else to do in the winter other then play hockey, snowmobile and haul grain.

#14 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Sasky boys do it right. Love it.

#15 Obscene19

Obscene19
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Make it byob ....
It's pathetic seeing guys cry when the beer guy decides not to show up..

Pathetic is the best choice of word for that example.

Byob is the best way to go. Not everyone wants or has a beer after every game. Its brutal for the guys who never have one and have to bring a case on their week. Also some guys will pound 2 or 3 while most only have 1.

Hockey is Life. The rest is just details.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#16 Moose

Moose

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

That's why the beer punch card is a glorious idea!!

#17 gtaco94

gtaco94

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

On my team, the captain always brings beer, ice and a cooler. We have guys that sub for regulars that couldn't make it. Every sub brings 20 bucks (20 bucks can get you a good 24 pack) for the Captain . Some nights, 2-3 subs show up, sometimes, no subs are needed. I'm not sure how it ends up, but I'm sure it evens out at the end.

#18 Beezy28

Beezy28

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Bring your own twelver of pabst and call it a night. Don't depend on other people for you beer. If you can't afford a case of beer once a week you get bigger issues than who's supposed to bring the booze.

#19 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

On my team, the captain always brings beer, ice and a cooler. We have guys that sub for regulars that couldn't make it. Every sub brings 20 bucks (20 bucks can get you a good 24 pack) for the Captain . Some nights, 2-3 subs show up, sometimes, no subs are needed. I'm not sure how it ends up, but I'm sure it evens out at the end.

you make your ringers pay to play?

lol

#20 kazin

kazin
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

you make your ringers pay to play?

lol

Old thread, I know...but I'm reviving it for the sake of discussion because why not?

I manage my team and I definitely make spares play. Having said that, most of our spares are "part-timers". The way I see it, if the full-timers are paying ~$25/game, why should the part-timers play for free? We ask that they pay $20/game and it goes towards beer most of the time or any miscellaneous costs (pucks, bottles, suspension fees...sigh).

Best beer rotation I've learned? Get a brewery to sponsor you ;).