Photo

Need Help with Easton Grey Nash palms!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Hey guys, so I noticed an issue with a pair of Devil Se6 gloves I have. When I got home from the rink last night, I was unpacking my gear and noticed that the grey Nash gussets on the gloves look like they are stretching and deteriorating. It's kind of shocking because this was only the third time I have even used these gloves. As you can see from the pictures the palms look almost new. I started to mess with them to see if this was just a small problem area or if the whole thing was this way, and it seems as if the gussets and palm on both gloves are very fragile this way.

So I guess my question is, is this a common problem with this material, and should I have expected this? has anyone else had this issue with these palms? It sucks because I really like these gloves and how light they are, and I REALLY liked the way the palms felt. I would like to keep the gloves and possibly get them repalmed if I have to, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get them done and how much it would run me? If this would end up costing me close to the price of a new pair, I'll be on the hunt for some. So if anyone has any leads on a pair let me know...maybe with different palms though. Thanks!!

33905675-D5D6-42FA-81FF-0BAE17CB0F82_zps
6982A17D-6012-4EBB-B96B-1F70AA04B0E9_zps
E59E235D-F411-4C65-B670-085658741E92_zps
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING NEW JERSEY DEVILS!!!

#2 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

i had a pair before with clarino and same thing happen

#3 TitanG

TitanG

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

For what it's worth, I have had the same problem with Eastons of my own (not sure what type of palms, but they were double thickness and ripped right through), although they were the cheap department store ones (around $50-$60).

Seems like the older/cheaper Easton gloves have this problem, considering I have Bauers in the same price range that have shown barely any wear over the same period of time.

Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions of repalming places, but I'm sure someone else will. Good luck though.

#4 olioli

olioli
  • LocationBearded Clam County

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

Had two pairs do the same thing.... sorry man...

#5 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

Damn. That's depressing. I'm guessing it wouldn't even be worth a repalm, considering I would have to have the gussets replaced also. I guess I'm on the hunt for a new pair. Hopefully there are still some out there.

#6 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

The old eastons start to shred if they get wet. Dont think there is anything you can do besides replace gussets and palms. I just had some gloves go for that and it was 109 for new gussets and digital palms

#7 bluelinearmy

bluelinearmy

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

I have the same gloves and palms and mine deteriorated as well. Look up BAHR (Bay Area hockey repair) does a great job on repalms and very reasonable on price. Let him know Tony L sent yah.

#8 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:02 PM

I've had multiple pairs of Eastons that did this...pretty shitty. Tan and grey both do the same.

#9 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

This is why you need to be careful when washing used gear. Some palms fall apart when exposed to water,

#10 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

^ I could understand that, but I didn't even wash them. Oh well.

#11 clardz

clardz
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Seeing this made me want to ask if anyone here has used the current retail Easton "Pro" 4-rolls?  I've always wanted to get a pair of (legit) 13" Easton pro 4-rolls with the grey nash palms, and seeing how that is basically the spec on the retails I was curious to see if anyone had any experience with this iteration and what their thoughts on them are?

WTB: 

Anything Jagr or Tomas Jurco

Dallas Stars Nexus pant, PP90 shell size S or M

#12 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

^ I could understand that, but I didn't even wash them. Oh well.

Sorry, that was meant to be a general statement.

#13 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Seeing this made me want to ask if anyone here has used the current retail Easton "Pro" 4-rolls?  I've always wanted to get a pair of (legit) 13" Easton pro 4-rolls with the grey nash palms, and seeing how that is basically the spec on the retails I was curious to see if anyone had any experience with this iteration and what their thoughts on them are?

The only one's I've seen shred are these older versions. My newer eastons don't have the same palms.

#14 MC917

MC917

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

No, I have has the same problem with my Easton Calgary pro stocks. After one season, I see my whole hand basically. The retails are most likely not going to be better.

#15 MC917

MC917

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Yes, mine are the new pro versions as well

#16 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

So I guess my question is, is this a common problem with this material, and should I have expected this? has anyone else had this issue with these palms? It sucks because I really like these gloves and how light they are, and I REALLY liked the way the palms felt. I would like to keep the gloves and possibly get them repalmed if I have to, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get them done and how much it would run me? If this would end up costing me close to the price of a new pair, I'll be on the hunt for some. So if anyone has any leads on a pair let me know...maybe with different palms though. Thanks!!

Yes, this is a common problem with nash palms, and no, without knowing how nash palms are manufactured, you could not have expected this.

i had a pair before with clarino and same thing happen

Clarino doesn't pill and/or split in this way, so, chances are the palms you had were nash.

The old eastons start to shred if they get wet. Dont think there is anything you can do besides replace gussets and palms. 

Nash palms when they get wet or are used by someone who sweats a ton, things like this happen.  Unfortunately, to replace gussets costs quite a bit.

This is why you need to be careful when washing used gear. Some palms fall apart when exposed to water,

Correct, especially with nash.  Nash palms are manufactured with a water based adhesive, so it will only resist moisture to a certain point.  Once the palms begin to weaken from use, the sweat begins to permeate the surface and the bond begins to break down.  Once broken down, the pilling and the splitting begins, which leads to unhappy hockey players.

#threadcloser

#17 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Sheesh, you would think they would last longer than three skates though. I can't imagine my hands sweat THAT much more than your average player.

#18 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Where the problem starts is trying to mill the fabric so thin, because that is how the pro players like it.  That is why you see companies playing around with different materials.  

The most durable "thin" palm I ever put on an NHLer was Eagle's MSH, a polyester microsuede fabric.  That was 10 years ago and they've gone through several variations since.  Andy McDonald and Chris Kunitz were the first two NHLers to use it and we got tremendous feedback from both at the time.

#threadcloser

#19 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

I have to agree the Eagle's MSH is the best feeling palms I have. Not sure if it's the same as what you had or if it's a different variation, but either way it's amazing. I actually sometimes decide not to use my eagles for that reason alone. I want them to last as long as possible. INSANITY.

#20 Hockeyman90

Hockeyman90
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

I am sure you guys already know this, but Eagle will we-Palm their gloves. I purchased a pair of PPF's two or three years and am in dire need of new palms. A buddy of mine told me this, so I sent them an email. Gus replied back within a day and set up the return authorization. Charge is $45for synthetic (msh3, Nash, etc), $55 for natural (digi, goat, etc), and $10 for gussets. Customer is responsible for freight both ways, and they say about 2 weeks to get them back. If I remember I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I mailing them out in the next day or two.