Photo

Leaving top eyelet open

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

Hey all quick skate question. I skate in Bauer APXs and if I tie them too tight up top they feel restricting or too stiff and I cant flex forward enough. A little too loose and they feel sloppy especially side to side. I know the best case scenario would probably to replace the tongues as they are pretty stiff but not an option right now. Do any of you guys leave the top eyelet open and would that give me a little more forward flex. I also try to leave my shinpads a little loose on the bottom so as not to be restricting either(tongues tucked under). Any advice would be wonderful thanks, Dave

#2 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I have APX's and skip the top eyelet for increased forward flex.  Try it- all you are out is 30 seconds to re lace if you don't like it.. 

#3 bstevens39

bstevens39
  • LocationHamilton, ON

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

I leave it open, just always have. If I do it up all the way to the top I cant skate, just not enough mobility. Im sure its just cuz I have been doing it for so long and am use to it.

#4 - M

- M

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

I tried leaving the top eyelet open but it felt too flimsy for me.  I skip the 4th eyelet from the top instead since that is where the boot will flex.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#5 ken6473

ken6473

2013 and 2015 S2K Playoff Challenge Champion

• PipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationKingston, ON

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

I leave the top eyelet open in both my 11K's and 20K's. I just like the ability to flex forward if necessary.

Sometimes I tuck my junk between my legs and pretend to be a woman if that's what you meant?

#6 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

i came from a leather graf and took a bit to adjust to this problem too, i tried all the way up for a bit then went one down, the one down felt way too flexible coming from skating all the way up for a while. went back to the grafs then back to one down and coming from the softer boot, the one down on bauers actually felt stiffer. Id take more time to adjust to one down, its great once you adjust

IG: Fooj Media

#7 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hey all quick skate question. I skate in Bauer APXs and if I tie them too tight up top they feel restricting or too stiff and I cant flex forward enough. A little too loose and they feel sloppy especially side to side.

These are built specifically for the situation you described. They keep the lateral support while giving you great forward flex.

55 Flex http://www.55flex.com/innovation.html

Although they are expensive for what they are, they do work exceedingly well. I had the same issue as you and have been using these for the last 3-4 months and my skating and stability has improved dramatically as a result. The way I see it, people spend lots more money buying the latest and greatest new model of skate with a negligible difference to their on ice proformance. These have really made a difference in my skating more than any new marketing gimmick has.

#8 ridethepine

ridethepine
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

As it so happens, last night before my game, I tried something a little different than my usual routine for lacing up.  I left the 2nd last eyelet from the top open.  Then before tightening the very top eyelet, I bent my knee forward (ensuring my heel was still locked) as if I were about to take a stride, and tightened it was much as I could.  I will say that yes, I did notice a little less ankle support.  However, for me personally, the trade off of having a greater amount of forward flex is worth it.  I didn't feel my heels slip at all during the game, either.  

In hindsight, I should have tried only 1 change last night and then the other change the next game to compare the results of each change. But, I went with both changes and I was pretty happy with the results.

To Avs, or Avs not.  There is no question.

#9 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hope no one takes the personally, but i don't see why people buy a skate with a boot that is not designed suit their style or body. I can see it from a protection stand point, but if you cant flex a boot with your stride i say dont buy it. Saves headaches, frustration and possibly injury.

#10 - M

- M

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:25 AM

Up until last year I did up all of my eyelets.  The reason that I skip one was recommended to me by a BCHL player last year (which was suggested by his skating coach).  Both of them are higher caliber skaters than me so I tried it, liked it and have been doing it since.  

I'd assume Selanne has no issues flexing this X90 boot but he still leaves the top eyelet open.  I've seen a variation where he skips the 2nd eyelet and does the top one as well.  Boot stiffness is definitely one of the reasons why people skip eyelets but others may simply just want a deeper knee bend in their stride.

480746219_slide.jpg

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#11 bstevens39

bstevens39
  • LocationHamilton, ON

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

Everyone skates differently thats y they have different blade profiles, boot stiffness ect. If it makes you more comfortable and/or skate better than skip whatever eyelets you want.

#12 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

I am on the ice tonight at my sons practice. that will be a good time to experiment.  Thanks guys for your thoughts.

#13 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:01 PM

Up until last year I did up all of my eyelets. The reason that I skip one was recommended to me by a BCHL player last year (which was suggested by his skating coach). Both of them are higher caliber skaters than me so I tried it, liked it and have been doing it since.

I'd assume Selanne has no issues flexing this X90 boot but he still leaves the top eyelet open. I've seen a variation where he skips the 2nd eyelet and does the top one as well. Boot stiffness is definitely one of the reasons why people skip eyelets but others may simply just want a deeper knee bend in their stride.
480746219_slide.jpg

Didn't or doesn't Selanne do the ankle lace wrap around? Even though your on the same level as the eyelet it adds a big amount of tightened feeling. Spose to be dangerous for injury ppl always said.

#14 Gswift

Gswift

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

I'm in a Bauer supreme boot & I leave the top eyelet undone, but I also have lace locks on them...

#15 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

Experimented last night and did not like top eyelet left open. In order to get tight enough had to wrap laces around and it felt just like having top done. Will just stick to keeping top not tight and tie til they feel just right.

#16 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:52 PM

Had a game last night, between loosening at the top just a touch and only taping socks at the top it felt perfect. Just snug enough to feel secure but still enough forward flex. I guess that solved the issue.  Thanks guys for the input.

#17 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:29 PM

Just upping this topic.

Who else leaves the top eyelet open? I see everyone doing it now and when I try it just feels like my ankles are too loose in my boot

#18 DeweysDoughnuts

DeweysDoughnuts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:43 PM

When I first got my FT1s I did since they were so damn stiff but after breaking them in a bit went back to full lacing which gave better support

#19 rbark11

rbark11
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:43 PM

I also leave the top eyelet open on my APXs

#20 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:47 AM

I skip the one below the top on my Vapors 1x/APX/x7.0/x:60 as it gives me more stability than skipping the top one, while still allowing for forward flex.