Winter Classic 2016: Habs VS Bruins

Winter Classic Montreal Canadiens Boston Bruins

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Oli1804

Oli1804
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

Don't know if it's been discussed before, but apparently, NHL should confirm soon that the Winter Classic for 2016 will be between the Montreal Canadiens and the Boston Bruins, at Gillette Stadium. 

Not from me, but from this guy:

Tweet 1/2: 

Tweet 2/2: 

I thought it would be interesting to share and see your general opinion? Happy or not? 

#2 JTully317

JTully317
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

Happy because it involves the Bruins. However, at the same time I again wish they would use different teams so everyone can get a shot. I'd like to see a game in Colorado or Minnesota or even St. Louis.

#3 Oli1804

Oli1804
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

Happy because it involves the Bruins. However, at the same time I again wish they would use different teams so everyone can get a shot. I'd like to see a game in Colorado or Minnesota or even St. Louis.

Maybe they will get one in Stadium Series. But I get what you mean, it's been mostly 8-10 teams since it started.

#4 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

Should be a great game. Thank god two teams that are actually rivals will be playing for once.

For Sale:

#5 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

So the wings and Hawks or
wings and maple leafs or caps and pens weren't rivals?
Pavel Datsyuk Gear or any wings gear!

Feedback- http://www.sports2k..../8903-buster-d/

#6 Obscene19

Obscene19
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

^^^^

Hockey is Life. The rest is just details.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#7 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

id be 1st in line for tix

#8 Oli1804

Oli1804
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

Should be a great game. Thank god two teams that are actually rivals will be playing for once.

I think he meant long term, hardcore rivals. Nobody can deny Habs and Bruins hate each other. They always have. Not sure Hawks and Wings or Pens and Caps hate each other has much.

#9 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

I will def be at this game
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#10 BryLech22

BryLech22

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

This is a must-go for me. Should be great.

#11 Oli1804

Oli1804
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

This is a must-go for me. Should be great.

An unbelievable game in perspective.

If I was them, I would make a BIG event of it; having more than one game. 

Boston College VS Boston University on December 29th
Hamilton Bulldogs VS Providence Bruins on December 30th
The Alumni Game on December 31st
Habs VS Bruins on January 1st 

#12 JTully317

JTully317
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

They do a Frozen Fenway series of outdoor games yearly. College double-header on a Saturday and local teams play throughout the week. It would be cool for them to do it along with the WC at Gillette.

#13 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

Wings/Leafs haven't been rivals for a long time. 
Caps/Pens were never rivals outside of one playoff series. Entire rivalry was made up by the NHL.
Wings/Hawks I duno, don't follow them that much.

Montreal/Boston is an actual rivalry that has been heated for a while now.

For Sale:

#14 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

Wings/Leafs haven't been rivals for a long time.
Caps/Pens were never rivals outside of one playoff series. Entire rivalry was made up by the NHL.
Wings/Hawks I duno, don't follow them that much.

Montreal/Boston is an actual rivalry that has been heated for a while now.

Original 6 rivalries for both detroit games. If you say Crosby and ovechkin don't hate eachother you might as well follow under water basket weaving. Mtl and Boston wouldn't hate eachother if it wasn't for charas hit on paches. End of story

#15 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Lol. Yeah there was never a Habs Bruins rivalry until that hit buddy. Get a clue.

Looking for new CCM HPTK pants - Black - Size XL

#16 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

Original 6 rivalries for both detroit games. If you say Crosby and ovechkin don't hate eachother you might as well follow under water basket weaving. Mtl and Boston wouldn't hate eachother if it wasn't for charas hit on paches. End of story

They played eachother in the playoffs a bunch of times in recent memory. Playoffs are where rivalries come from.

+the Chara incident

Also Wings/Leafs sure, original 6, but they only played against each other 2 times every year for the past 20 years or so.. there is no on ice rivalry right now. Caps/Pens I still don't think was much of a rivalry outside of Ovie vs Sid media hype. Therre was that one playoff series that was insane but thats it. Pens/Flyers is an actual rivalry based on what happens on the ice.

For Sale:

#17 Oli1804

Oli1804
  • LocationQuebec City

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

They played eachother in the playoffs a bunch of times in recent memory. Playoffs are where rivalries come from.

+the Chara incident

Also Wings/Leafs sure, original 6, but they only played against each other 2 times every year for the past 20 years or so.. there is no on ice rivalry right now. Caps/Pens I still don't think was much of a rivalry outside of Ovie vs Sid media hype. Therre was that one playoff series that was insane but thats it. Pens/Flyers is an actual rivalry based on what happens on the ice.

To add to the Habs-Bruins rivalry... 

In the 50's, when Richard was hit and suffered a massive cut, it was against the Bruins, by a player called Leo Labine.

When Richard was punched while a referee was holding him, it was by Hal Laycoe who was playing for the Bruins.
When Zednik (almost forgot he was playing for the Habs) got an elbow in the face in 2002 and miss the remainder of the playoffs, it was by Kyle Mclaren of the Bruins. 
In 2004, the Habs beated the Bruins in the playoffs 4-3, after trailing 1-3.

The rivalry always existed, but it got worse with the Patches-Chara incident.

#18 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

All biased opinions even mine IMO. I'm a die hard wings fan and don't follow the Bruins or habs. Nor would I ever own any of their gear.

#19 CAPS10

CAPS10

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

false... Caps/Pens go back way before 8 and 87 began going head to head... don't be ignorant

CC: Ron Tugnutt

...the playoff games in I went to as a kid in DC, Ron consistently had a tough night with the fans lol

#20 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

yeah but then there was nothing for years, likely because both teams sucked for awhile.

let's face it, the NHL and NBC invented the whole "CROSBY! OVECHKIN! CROSBY! OVECHKIN!" storyline.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Winter Classic, Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins