61 replies to this topic

#21 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

It says it lasts 40ish sharpens for 50 dollars a stone

#22 Tapiolaboy13

Tapiolaboy13

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

40 skates... that's 20 pairs. Thats $2.50 per pair minimum if you dont need to make a few extra passes.

Just based on a monetary value stand point you would need to pump about 180 pairs of sharpenings before it paid itself off. I do realize its also convenient.

#23 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

Wow.... every week sharpening?  Do you play like two times a day?????

We get 2-3 1h30 rink time and with my blacksteel i ended up sharpening them 3 times since september ... lolll

But seriously this would be great in our lockeroom.

#24 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

For those who have questions, a lot of them are answered here (from a MSH post)...

We, the Sparx Hockey Team, just got back from MN and the Lets Play Hockey Expo.  Minnesota certainly deserves their “The State of Hockey” title.  21,609 in attendance for a High School hockey game – truly unbelievable!  We were blown away by the hospitality and kindness received from the Minnesotans we spoke with on our trip.

I wanted to reiterate our company’s mission.  We are hockey players and parents, just like goblue9280 (we couldn’t have said it better ourselves), looking for ways to save our precious free time and also give ourselves and our players improved gear to enable us to perform better on the ice.   

A huge thanks to Zylos45 for pushing us over the Kickstarter goal!

Here are answers to some of the questions raised in the previous posts:

shoeshine boy asked about the finishing pass – our system has a consistent pressure between the Grinding Ring (what we call the grinding wheel) and the skate blade.  We set this pressure at a level such that each pass has consistent material removal and the surface finish is always at the quality level of a finishing pass.  We found this was the best solution as it keeps every pass consistent at every point on the blade.  This also guarantees that the blade material stays cool (doesn’t alter the microstructure of the steel as temperature is kept low) during the sharpening.

Mojo122 asked about the Sparx machine being engineered to prevent a blade from being banana’d over time.  The consistent pressure described above also ensures the profile (rocker) is also never modified by our system.

Benson asked about the ROH and how it works over the life of the wheel.  Our Grinding Ring is a steel alloy that is precision CNC turned to be exactly the ROH that is specified.  The Grinding Ring is then plated with an abrasive (a synthetic diamond-like material called cubic boron nitride).  The abrasive is what contacts the skate blade and also protects the precision machined steel substrate from being altered during sharpening.  Since the abrasive is a coating on the ring, there is no dressing of the grinding surface and the ROH put on the blade is exact at every point on the blade and every skate that is sharpened.  This consistency is a major advantage of using the abrasive plating.  Traditional sharpening machines are only as precise as the person who is operating them.

Mojo122 commented on the flat bottom version of the ROH.  We are looking into this and will likely make flat bottom versions of our ROH cuts.  Just as a bit of history on the patents here, Redmond et al has a patent on the flat bottom geometry that expired approximately 15 years ago http://www.google.co...tents/US4392658

mc88 asked about dual radius – Sparx will sharpen any rocker and not alter its shape.  We currently have 19 different ROH Grinding Rings planned from 3/8” to 1.5” at 1/16” increments.  If anyone skates on something else please let us know (besides the flat bottoms as discussed above).  Is anyone out there on a flat cut?
mc88 mentioned Sharks Ice.  I know it well.  I lived in the Bay Area for 8 years and spent hundreds of hours at Sharks Ice when I played for Stanford University.  Valco was another place I played at for years and I never had any luck finding sharpening nearby.  Don’t be surprised if Sparx Hockey winds up having a Bay Area satellite office in a couple years ;)

TBR asked for a video with the machine in action.  There are a number of Instagram and vine videos circulating around now.  Burrs are still removed manually.  Grinding Rings cannot be redressed and replacements are available from us online when they wear out.  Cost for the wheel and other details available on the Kickstarter page (see the FAQ section).

Iceman8310 asked about cagone.  The Sparx machine is the result of years of research and development.  We looked at what works well in existing products and what needed to be improved upon.  The customers will judge for themselves, but I’d encourage you to check out our Kickstarter page to see the testimonials from some pretty sophisticated users who have gotten a chance to try Sparx out for themselves.  We have tested our machine with hundreds of people and many of our investors are former collegiate and pro players that would not have backed us without believing we could provide pro quality sharpenings.

Stewie mentioned that he saw some ways that our machine is different than others.   You are correct Stewie.  Without spilling all of the beans, our product has a few major differences.  The first is the Grinding Ring design.  One of our most significant observations when researching and prototyping was that the smaller we made the grinding wheel, the more true it ran and the better the surface finish was on the skate blade.   There is some science behind this (rotational inertia) that I’ll skip, but we have by far the smallest grinding wheel of any sharpener.  We also use a spindle construction which is similar to the way a precision CNC machine is built.  Our grinding ring is mounted on a shaft which is supported by a separate bearing stack (a “spindle”) and not directly on the motor arbor.  This insures that the Sparx Grinding Ring’s accuracy is defined by our spindle components and not the tolerances of the motor and its internal bearings, etc.  Another major difference is our skate clamp.  Our skate clamp (patent pending) is a self-centering design.  There are some neat innovations in our design which ensure that all of the slop needed for the clamp to move is taken out of the clamp mechanism when it tightens up against a blade.  Another major difference is the integrated dust handling system.  We saw, time and again, that people purchased home sharpeners for thousands of dollars and then used them without purchasing the dust handling equipment needed for safe operation.  Sparx has an integrated dust handling system complete with a HEPA filter at the exhaust.  This allows the system to operate in any room of the house without blowing skate steel dust everywhere (we also eliminated the grinding wheel dust as our wheel doesn’t get dressed).  Another major difference are the safety covers over the skate entry slot.  These insure that foreign objects can’t touch any moving parts while the system is running.  There is also a limit switch on the door to ensure it stays closed and the motors have current monitors on them to detect and stop the machine if a stall condition is sensed during operation.  All of these differences (and more) were designed into Sparx to make sure that our machine operates safely and with consistent performance.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  Thanks to all of the MSH’ers for their support.

Cheers,
Russ

The reason I've pledged is that I send my runners to No-Icing at about a $40/month cost ($31.99 sharpening, $5.15 (x2) for shipping). So this machine will pay for itself in a little over a year and a quarter. Possibly less, if I decide to sharpen friends skates at a small cost.

#25 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

Thanks MC!!  You can see all the s2k member questions :D

Sounds like a awesome product!!!

#26 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

For those who have questions, a lot of them are answered here (from a MSH post)...

The reason I've pledged is that I send my runners to No-Icing at about a $40/month cost ($31.99 sharpening, $5.15 (x2) for shipping). So this machine will pay for itself in a little over a year and a quarter. Possibly less, if I decide to sharpen friends skates at a small cost.

oof, you couldn't pay me $40 a month to have No-Icing sharpen my skates. You can pay me $50 a month and ship your steel to me and I'll get your steel sharpened at Zwickers when I am getting my skates done and ship your steel back to you...thats how dead set I am against taking business away from No-Icing (but thats a whole different convo)

The more I hear about the lack of quality sharpening options available to people the more I see something like the Sparx machine getting traction. Personally I just can't forget the horror stories of the Sparx predecessors and one time seeing a skate get stuck in one of those Skate Sharpening Vending machines and just grind a nice oval into a kids skate. 

#27 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:16 AM

Wow.... every week sharpening?  Do you play like two times a day?????

We get 2-3 1h30 rink time and with my blacksteel i ended up sharpening them 3 times since september ... lolll

But seriously this would be great in our lockeroom.

lol, in the winter i play outdoor about 3 times a week and indoor once or twice. There's an outdoor rink that's pretty much never closed. even when the lights go out you can still see the puck so if you wanted to stay late you can still skate with a few buddies or work on your hands.

basically i sharpen them after every 3-5 skates on the ice at about roughly 2 hours each session.

i like how the skate can really dig into the ice when it's sharp on turns and pushing off. I don't weigh 200lbs so i need sharp wheels. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#28 kingston-boy

kingston-boy
  • LocationPrince Edward Island, Canada

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

heck! it's it sub-700 dollars I would splash the cash for it! I have had a lot of brutual sharpenings, it would be worth the quality control to own a machine like that to do your wheels and your kids!

Thanks for the info, hopefully you can retail this machine soon!

#29 skater1

skater1
  • LocationOHIO

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

Sharpenings are such a nightmare plus I have to drive almost an hour to get an ok sharpen. Completely sucks.
WARRIOR WC Dan Cleary mitts
Any WARRIOR Dan Cleary mitts

#30 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

Just had my skates done with a sparx machine rep that I have known for years

I think this will now retail for 800$ not 600$

I am pretty impressed with the edges and finish. I will update the feel on Monday after I actually skate on the blades but managing a shop for the past 5 years and sharpening for the last 15 I am rather inpressed with the output of it so far and really trust the gentlemen I know who works for them.

#31 jordanm

jordanm
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:16 PM

dam $800??

that is definetely getting up there in price. A lot of sharpenings needed to make it worth it for most people

MIC Franchise gloves for sale? PM me!
@myfriendmonty

https://www.instagra...m/jordanmoffat/

#32 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

At that price point I'd rather have the X01.

#33 SSG_Beantown33

SSG_Beantown33
  • LocationGrafton, MA

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

Ya

#34 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

I figured that would happen. that's why I backed it on Kickstarter months ago.

if you live in a town with only one decent sharpener that's 30 minutes away and you play 3-4 times a week AND have 2 players in your house it really doesn't take that long to pay for itself, especially if you do skates for your teammates and friends.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#35 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

I wonder what kind of reliability this thing has

#36 - M

- M

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

At that price point I'd rather have the X01.

Hey Monty, I'm actually in the market for a portable.  Any reason why you would choose the X01 over a Wissota or Blademaster?

I prefer dressing with a diamond so I haven't considered the X series and Blackstone's SPD portables are more expensive than the competition.

dam $800??

that is definetely getting up there in price. A lot of sharpenings needed to make it worth it for most people

It just depends on what your needs are.  This Sparx machine is targeting people who want consistency and convenience.  Before I learned how to sharpen I had to drive 15-20 minutes each way to my LHS.  Add in any wait time and you're looking at close to an hour just to get your skates done.  After paying $6 for the sharpening you don't know if it will be consistent or good.  

I think the biggest advantage of this Sparx machine is you can use it in your home.  I know someone who sharpens with a portable machine in his apartment and uses a shop-vac to suck up any dust.  The grit still flies everywhere.

That being said, I'm not the type of customer Sparx is targeting.  I would still prefer to buy a traditional machine and sharpen my own skates. 

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#37 fbvnyc

fbvnyc

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

How does this Sparx compensate for bent steel?

#38 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:44 PM

Anyone bought or used the Sparx sharpener?

/thread revival :D

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#39 aintitthelife98

aintitthelife98

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:26 PM

I've had one for over a year now and have been extremely happy with it. It couldn't be easier to use and my edges have been great and consistent!

#40 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

I wish I could find a used one to try it out, gets good reviews and I’m curious, but not enough to pay full retail price unfortunately