Photo

Sparx Home Skate Sharpener

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 50on19

50on19

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:58 PM

I wish I could find a used one to try it out, gets good reviews and I’m curious, but not enough to pay full retail price unfortunately

Just saw this on Craigslist for 1000

https://fortcollins....6563657995.html

#42 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:24 PM

PSH has a 75 off coupon and if you use paypal with a chase freedom, its 5% cash back. Ends up about 1k with two rings and an edge checker.

#43 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:41 PM

I've been in since the Kickstarter and I couldn't be happier. a friend just bought one too and used me as a referral to get money off and I got a free grinding ring. happy to do that for anybody here that wants to pull the trigger as well. :)

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#44 50on19

50on19

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

I’ve never done a pair of skates myself. How easy is it to figure out?

#45 pateman

pateman

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

I’ve never done a pair of skates myself. How easy is it to figure out?

Crazy easy. I've never sharpened skates and had the box opened set up and done with my first pair is probably 20 minutes. 

#46 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

Crazy easy. I've never sharpened skates and had the box opened set up and done with my first pair is probably 20 minutes. 

That easy?

Im tempted :LOL:

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#47 pateman

pateman

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

That easy?

Im tempted :LOL:

It comes with all the instructions you need. I was texting my buddy who manually sharpens skates asking about honing them after. That was the only thing I had a question about. I debated it for a long time then just kind of did it one day. It is dumb easy.

#48 - M

- M

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

I wish I could find a used one to try it out, gets good reviews and I’m curious, but not enough to pay full retail price unfortunately

I believe their website has a list of local places with the machine.  These automated machines definitely have their niche market where no skilled sharpeners are available locally.  I've seen the finish on this and the Pro Sharp AS1001.  You get square edges but the finish is not as good as a manual machine.  You can't apply any product for the finishing pass, or do a finishing pass all together.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#49 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:36 PM

I have one. The finish is very nice a smooth, and the convenience is second to none. I opted for the Sparx instead of a hand sharpener because I didn't want to deal with setting up a shop vac in my apartment and spray dust all over the place. Plus, I sharpen for my beer league squad and I don't have enough time to go through each pair of skates thoroughly to do a perfect job.

You get square edges but the finish is not as good as a manual machine. You can't apply any product for the finishing pass, or do a finishing pass all together.

These are my initial thoughts, too. I also wish there was a way to alter the pressure applied by the wheel because sharpening Step Blacksteel is not as clean as sharpening non-coated/polished steel likely due to just more force than someone with a bench rig would use. The cut is serviceable and I don't mind not having a perfect finish, but hand sharpenings are the way to go if you use carbon-coated steel.

Custom everything.

#50 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:41 PM

My 2 cents: I've owned mine since the kickstarter and I've sharpened my own skates and I've had others sharpen them for me... and honestly couldn't tell the difference. I usually skate between 3-6 hours per week, so I get plenty of ice time. I'm not a edge whore like Crosby (he gets his sharpened EVERY period), so I'll skate until I barely have any edges left. As such, I'm still on my first ring (has about 25% life left).
As far as pros and cons, the 2 cons I think of is the initial price for new comers and that the standard model doesn't come with a crossgrind. As for the pros: Dont have to worry about someone messing up my runners (creating uneven edges from a bad tri-mount or shaving off too much), no skate wait lines, runners are consistently level, it's super convenient to be able to sharpen before leaving home, easy to clean, easy to set up/use and depending on the pass count takes about 2-3 mins per skate.

#51 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Has anyone used it on Step BlackSteel?

#52 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

I've used it on Tydan DLC + mirror finish, which is similar. No problems once the steel has been cross grinded.

#53 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

I also wish there was a way to alter the pressure applied by the wheel because sharpening Step Blacksteel is not as clean as sharpening non-coated/polished steel likely due to just more force than someone with a bench rig would use. The cut is serviceable and I don't mind not having a perfect finish, but hand sharpenings are the way to go if you use carbon-coated steel.

What happens is the coating sort of "splinters" off. I'll take a pic the next time I sharpen my steel to show you what I'm talking about. There aren't any problems with the edge itself that I've noticed, though.

Custom everything.

#54 - M

- M

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:27 AM

My 2 cents: I've owned mine since the kickstarter and I've sharpened my own skates and I've had others sharpen them for me... and honestly couldn't tell the difference. I usually skate between 3-6 hours per week, so I get plenty of ice time. I'm not a edge whore like Crosby (he gets his sharpened EVERY period), so I'll skate until I barely have any edges left. As such, I'm still on my first ring (has about 25% life left).
As far as pros and cons, the 2 cons I think of is the initial price for new comers and that the standard model doesn't come with a crossgrind. As for the pros: Dont have to worry about someone messing up my runners (creating uneven edges from a bad tri-mount or shaving off too much), no skate wait lines, runners are consistently level, it's super convenient to be able to sharpen before leaving home, easy to clean, easy to set up/use and depending on the pass count takes about 2-3 mins per skate.

If the Sparx machine meets your needs then that's all that really matters.  No different than people who are content with taking their cars through the automated car wash while some like a hand wash.  I prefer to sharpen my own skates by hand.  I'm running three sets of steel right now which decreases the number of times I have to turn on my machine.

I've rarely needed to crossgrind even on a full size or portable machine.  If you still have nicks on the blade after sharpening, use a towel to wipe it down.  If it doesn't catch on the towel, it won't catch on the ice.  On a manual machine you could always raise/lower the jig and just shear off that one side before centering it again.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#55 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:21 AM

I was really interested in this but with the step blacksteel it seems to really hold its edge. I've gone 6+ months without a sharpening. So in my case this would not be worth it. But super cool for those sharon every week guys.
Liddy:-)

#56 pateman

pateman

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:03 AM

I was really interested in this but with the step blacksteel it seems to really hold its edge. I've gone 6+ months without a sharpening. So in my case this would not be worth it. But super cool for those sharon every week guys.

I have step on my skates, not black steel but step nonetheless. I feel like having the machine just makes me want to sharpen more. Even just 2 passes before a game. 

#57 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 12 February 2022 - 06:31 AM

Bump

Anyone here has been using Sparx for a while? Comments?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#58 nhlfan79

nhlfan79
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 12 February 2022 - 10:40 AM

I bought one last April.  It's been the best money I've ever spent.  Not only am I fully satisfied with the edges I get, I love having full control over the process and not having to rely on the "expertise" of whatever clueless teen is running the machine that day at our LHS.  And the convenience of not having to run that errand in the first place is just the chef's kiss.

I live in Atlanta, so local, reliable sharpening options are few and far between.

#59 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:20 AM

Anyone here owns the new "3" skate sharpener? Id love some feedback.

#60 court31sierra

court31sierra

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:20 AM

pro sharp is releasing a new one to