Photo

3 piece Free Flex vs. Lock Thumb (Hockey Gloves)

hockey gloves flex thumb lock thumb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Is there any advantage to a lock thumb, protection wise, such as with the Dynasty AX1 Pro Stock? I just bought a pair from PSH- nice gloves, I just think that my already hands-of-stone will be made even more stoney by this lock thumb on the gloves. So, I am thinking about trying a 3 piece free flex thumb instead, such as that in the Bauer Vapor APX2 Pro. 

Is there any disadvantage protection wise, with the 3 piece flex thumb of the APX2 Pro? Obviously, both thumbs prevent hyperextension backward. Does the 3 piece thumb expose the thumb to jammage, when falling on the ice and landing on the thumb, more so than the lock thumb?

Reason I ask, I saw this article when researching the topic:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=502288

This article is from 2009, so I am thinking, "Were there even 3 piece flex thumbs available then, as they are today? Would he think that a 3 piece flex thumb is actually a lock thumb, since it prevents hyperextension backward?"

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#2 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

I personally have used gloves with lock thumb and the flex thumb. I feel like the flex thumb is the most overrated thing people look at when buying gloves. I only notice the flex thumb when im sitting at home playing around with my gloves. The thought doesnt even cross my mind when im on the ice actually playing. The thumb is stagnant when holding a hockey stick, its not like a pair of lacrosse gloves.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#3 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

It's all personal preference. I have gloves with the flex thumb and lock thumb and prefer the flex thumb but it's not extremely noticeable when playing as ibeck said. I would try and find a pair of gloves for cheap or go to your LHS and try on a pair there to see how it'd feel.

You could always look for a pair of apx's or total ones as they both should have the flex thumb and should be a little cheaper than going with the apx2's or NXG's. All of which is just my personal opinion.
Pavel Datsyuk Gear or any wings gear!

Feedback- http://www.sports2k..../8903-buster-d/

#4 Nickyeyes

Nickyeyes
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Like the others said, I definitely do not even notice a difference between the two when actually holding a stick. I feel like my thumb has all the flex it needs with the slack in the thumb loop.
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING NEW JERSEY DEVILS!!!

#5 fbvnyc

fbvnyc

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

I've found the flex thumb is good for picking up things. Other than that, no advantage while playing.

#6 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

I saw something that Warrior is working on a flex thumb. Should be coming out with their next product line.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hockey gloves, flex thumb, lock thumb