B2227D0F-7803-4D52-99A9-B3014CA8CB55_zps

1D184206-87FD-4AFF-89EC-CEA0FDE54F8B_zps

7402ADB9-1448-4146-A909-C4C74EF7552E_zps

Did they add the graphic/logo?

#1262 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

What's the verdict on their coloured palms? Are people liking them?

#1263 hockeymutt

hockeymutt

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

Have their red not a fan... feels really slick... it also could be that I prefer a gripper palm, I might prefer it more if I got a grip over lay

#1264 jtwright2

jtwright2
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

Can any of you guys who have gone with shortened / tapered gussets from Pat's speak to the difference in fit?  

Does it totally change the way the whole glove feels - or more of just a subtle, more snug fit on the fingers? 

#1265 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

Can any of you guys who have gone with shortened / tapered gussets from Pat's speak to the difference in fit?

Does it totally change the way the whole glove feels - or more of just a subtle, more snug fit on the fingers?

It makes the whole glove tighter since you are tightening the fingers, it brings down the volume berween the backhand padding and the palms.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#1266 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

I personally don't like them too tight bc it puts pressure on my knuckles when gripping but a taper is nice IMO, according so "the gloves don't shake, for use guys with hands" lol

IG: Fooj Media

#1267 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'll echo what others have said.  It makes the gloves more snug in general.  But it doesn't make the wrist area tighter, which is what I like.

There's tapered gussets, like what Marcus Kruger does on his Franchises, and then there's setups like what Spezza uses, where they are reduced throughout the length of the finger (a constant -3/4" from the base of the finger to the tip.)

I owned a pair of Krugers, and they did bother my knuckles a little bit.  I've also owned Spezza, and those did not.  

There are other things to consider, like gusset material.  Spezza uses stretch mesh gussets and are reduced by -3/4".  That might sound extreme, but the stretch material makes it work.  They're really comfortable.  I had those specs put on my Krug AX1's and I love them.  If you were to do -3/4" on micronash, it would probably be way too tight.

I honestly don't see the draw on tapered gussets.  To me, the Spezza setup is better as it makes the full length of my finger feel snug and fitted.

I think the overall benefit is that you have a more secure fit to your gloves, without sacrificing any mobility.

One other thing to note:  Some gloves have better padding inside the finger stalls than others.  I noticed that some Franchises just have raw padding material in there, so tighter gussets cause your knuckles to hit the joints and stitching, causing irritation.  My AX1's had silver shield lining all along the finger stalls, so they're smooth and do not cause any irritation to my knuckles.

#1268 jtwright2

jtwright2

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Awesome, thank you both!

I think I'll go with a 1/2" taper that I've seen a bit on this topic, sort of a happy medium right?  Thank you again for the info!

#1269 jtwright2

jtwright2

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:43 AM

I'll echo what others have said.  It makes the gloves more snug in general.  But it doesn't make the wrist area tighter, which is what I like.

There's tapered gussets, like what Marcus Kruger does on his Franchises, and then there's setups like what Spezza uses, where they are reduced throughout the length of the finger (a constant -3/4" from the base of the finger to the tip.)

I owned a pair of Krugers, and they did bother my knuckles a little bit.  I've also owned Spezza, and those did not.  

There are other things to consider, like gusset material.  Spezza uses stretch mesh gussets and are reduced by -3/4".  That might sound extreme, but the stretch material makes it work.  They're really comfortable.  I had those specs put on my Krug AX1's and I love them.  If you were to do -3/4" on micronash, it would probably be way too tight.

I honestly don't see the draw on tapered gussets.  To me, the Spezza setup is better as it makes the full length of my finger feel snug and fitted.

I think the overall benefit is that you have a more secure fit to your gloves, without sacrificing any mobility.

One other thing to note:  Some gloves have better padding inside the finger stalls than others.  I noticed that some Franchises just have raw padding material in there, so tighter gussets cause your knuckles to hit the joints and stitching, causing irritation.  My AX1's had silver shield lining all along the finger stalls, so they're smooth and do not cause any irritation to my knuckles.

Awesome info, thank you! 

Definitely going to go with the stretch mesh like you mentioned.  Thank you again!

#1270 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

is there any safety issue with that much stretch? anything overly exposed?

#1271 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

is there any safety issue with that much stretch? anything overly exposed?

Nah, I don't think so.  They don't stretch that much.  Just enough to make them have enough give to not feel constricting.  You could probably mess with the amount of reduction you're doing, too.  Go with -1/2" instead of -3/4".  

Spezza does something funky with his that I've never seen.  The outside of the pinky and index fingers are micronash instead of stretch, and they taper inward towards the spandex.  

EDIT:  Here's a pic. You can see how the outside gussets are longer and taper down to the spandex on the inside of the finger.  It's weird, but it works.

20160409_151728_zpszgvrusqv.jpg

#1272 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

Cott1 those Thrust Dragons gloves are sick.  Tell me more about this potential ranger glove sale lol 

#1273 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

Im finding that they won't do a lot of the stuff they've done previously because they've learned that its too time consuming or inconvenient. Sucks  :dunno:

#1274 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

Im finding that they won't do a lot of the stuff they've done previously because they've learned that its too time consuming or inconvenient. Sucks  :dunno:

What in particular? I know they wont change do Roll stripes

#1275 Hokie

Hokie
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

What's the verdict on their coloured palms? Are people liking them?

Only a few skates on my red and red/blue palms.  They seem fine to me, but I'm finding I prefer the feel of digital/mustang better.

If you care: the palm color will bleed on white grip tape.

Tapered gussets give a subtle change to the fingers.  Makes them a bit more responsive.

Shortened gussets with stretch gussets totally change the feel of the glove.

Very good description here.  If the fingers aren't lined, you might be more uncomfortable tapering/tightening the gussets too much.  The pairs of Franchise's I sent in have a slight 1/4" taper.

#1276 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

What in particular? I know they wont change do Roll stripes

They won't agree to a whole lot unless its palm or cuff related or for Franchise glove models.

I've seen them recap a lot of gloves on here from the leather on CL gloves, to Cammy Easton gloves, to chewed thumbs on APX2 gloves- they won't do any of this now.

They won't change the colour or add pinky stripes to any portion of the glove unless its on a Franchise.

I've seen them do all kinds of embroidery on different portions of different models ex. replacing the name on a pair of APX2- they won't do this anymore either. 

They're at the point where they are so busy/successful that they can kind of pick and choose what work they do which is fine its just kind of unfortunate for the customer knowing they are fully capable of doing certain mods they just don't care to do them because they're going to be swamped with work regardless.

#1277 bbednarz57

bbednarz57
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

The turn around time is crazy these days. I asked about getting a pair repalmed and new gussets. They quoted by 5 maybe 6 months. Its great for their business, I guess thats what comes with being the best. Most likely their work load is the reason they stopped doing so many custom options. 

#1278 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

they should hire staff .. i want to deal with pat but waiting that much for repalm this is ridiculous

#1279 kimchee411

kimchee411
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

I think they've tried to hire help, but it's difficult to find someone with the kind of skill and attention to detail that Pat has, or to train someone to develop that kind of skill.  Hence why we all go to Pat and put up with the extremely long turnaround time, and why they get so much pro work.

STUFF I'M LOOKING FOR (NEW/LIKE NEW CONDITION)
• MIC AX1 13" or 14" -- NOT NYI, Oilers, Habs, Ducks, Preds, Hawks, Leafs, Pens, or Devils (retro YES PLEASE).
• Joe Thornton CCM mitts

• Pro stock edge socks:
- Wings away

• Blackhawks red practice jersey 56/58
• Sens Cream Heritage 2.0 game jersey 56/58

#1280 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

They need 5 more Pats