Photo

Toe chips- Anyone have a fix

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success fixing chipped blades. I'm a center and don't like taping the toes of my sticks. I take a lot of draws and usually the toes of my sticks get pretty chipped up. I realize that if I tape over the toe it will help, but what I was wondering is if anyone has had any success filling in chips/ rebuilding the shape of the blade?

Someone a while ago mentioned using JD weld. Has anyone had any luck using this stuff?

#2 miscs75

miscs75

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

Faceoffs destroy the toes of blades. Which sticks are they?

#3 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

Pretty much everything I use really, but right now a batch of DT1's

#4 Vannucker88

Vannucker88

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

I would just tape the toe. What's going to cost you more, a bit of extra tape, or buying another $200+ stick? I personally add a small piece around the toe edges and then tape the blade/toe after as well. Since I've started taping that way, the only time I've ever had a chipped toe start is when the tape tears a bit at the toe and I just neglect to retape before the next game, but that's my own fault.

As for chips that have already started, I've tried superglue and that seemed to stop it from further chipping.

#5 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

I always tape my toe and it does help tremendously
Liddy:-)

#6 Zooz

Zooz

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

Ever tried blade armor? Google it. It's very inexpensive (under $6) and you put it on the toe of your stick. It feels like a thicker piece of electrical tape. You tape over it and can retake over it many times before it starts to peel. i've used it on my last 3 sticks and there have been no toe chips since then. Im a centre as well

#7 DiesILL

DiesILL
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

2 part plastic epoxy. Makes sure it fully cures before using the stick afterwards...

#8 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

I've tried 2-part epoxy and it didn't work very well. It could have been the type I used, but i gave it plenty of time to set and it broke off and crumbled after the first skate.

#9 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

I still can't figure out why the toes of my blades deteriorate the way they do.  I don't take faceoffs.  I don't grind the puck off the boards.  I shoot and pass.  I feel like the toe should hold up just as well as the heel does.

#10 DiesILL

DiesILL

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

I've tried 2-part epoxy and it didn't work very well. It could have been the type I used, but i gave it plenty of time to set and it broke off and crumbled after the first skate.

Yeah there's a specific one I'm talking about. I'll see if I can find the name and product #. It's different than a regular 2 part epoxy...

#11 DiesILL

DiesILL

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:45 AM

Here's the one I was talking about. It's important to let it cure fully after a full day or so. This stuff is amazing... I used it to rebuild motorcycle fairings with broken tabs. Think... with all the vibration and abuse from the streets and it held up right at the mounting points. I had some left over so I filled the end of my stick blade and it worked like a charm! Once it's fully cured it will be hard not rubbery. Then I just dremel'd off the excess carefully.

http://www.canadiant...content=Default

#12 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thanks @DiesILL

Just wondering did you use this stuff to refill a surface chip or reshape the toe where the toe has completely chipped away?

#13 DiesILL

DiesILL

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

A little bit of both... The chip out of the toe was fairly minor though... Nonetheless it worked well!