Photo

Why is "Drury" Curve most popular in NHL?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Lefticious

Lefticious

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Why do you guys think the Drury curve is most popular among NHL players? Seems like over 85% are using Drury style or similar.

#2 Brian

Brian

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'm guessing most of the guys have used it for a while and that is what they are most comfortable with.

#3 DField56

DField56
  • LocationSan Jose

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

seems like they are all some variation of Sakic or Drury, I can't handle either really

My Feedback

Always interested in Sharks gear

#4 Buffalo boy

Buffalo boy
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Once you get used to it as I am after using the pattern or a close variation for 20+ years, there is no substitute.

Powerful, heavy snap and wrist shots. Amazing backhands high or low. Passing is sick, sauce or flat, and slapshot is low hard and heavy. Very controllable shot locations even with power. Just a few reasons

I have tried almost every pattern out there and the heel is my favorite for too many reasons to list. Personal preference, of course.

If you have never tried it, or only tried briefly, give it a good go for a couple months to learn the pattern. I find it exceptional :up:
Go Sabres!

#5 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

They all copy me, that's why :D
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#6 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

i think the sakic curve and the drury are the most popular ! but i like to see some custom curve and stick

like kovalev ! big square shaft like 120-130 flex , very long blade and heavy blade !

#7 Lefticious

Lefticious

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Once you get used to it as I am after using the pattern or a close variation for 20+ years, there is no substitute.

Powerful, heavy snap and wrist shots. Amazing backhands high or low. Passing is sick, sauce or flat, and slapshot is low hard and heavy. Very controllable shot locations even with power. Just a few reasons

I have tried almost every pattern out there and the heel is my favorite for too many reasons to list. Personal preference, of course.

If you have never tried it, or only tried briefly, give it a good go for a couple months to learn the pattern. I find it exceptional :up:

I'm partial to heal curves myself. Been using PM9s for 10+ years plus, but have decided its not for me anymore. Hard to saucer with, hard to get pucks up high down low, and also difficult to protect the puck when stick handling.

Since cutting my stick down (now under my chin), I don't like the PM9. Weird?

I've picked up a few new twigs in P92/Sakic curve that I am going to give a try, and also have a P91a, I'm going to try out as well. Not sure which is going to work better for me, both are drastic changes from PM9. Only time will tell...0

#8 Buffalo boy

Buffalo boy
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I do like my sticks a little longer with the heel for sure. Thought it was just me, but maybe not :LOL:
Go Sabres!

#9 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I use a PM9 style. I've tried others, but I can't get off it. The Drury style is the most popular though for sure, so maybe switching would make it easier to acquire pro-stock sticks.

#10 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

I believe it is very popular for a few reasons 1 Bieng it's a retail pattern that many have grown up on so it's common and easy to get in a hurry for any pro or custom order every company has a heel and sakic curve mold.
The second reason Bieng in leagues such as the AHL and ECHL, the two leagues that develop the most NHL players in the world, you only get a few choices if you want your stuff free and on time to you like right or left, stiff or extra stiff and Sakic or drury

#11 CrazyDanny

CrazyDanny
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I think it is a by-product of composite sticks/blades becoming mainstream - the mass production of a few select patterns combined with the relative difficulty of tweaking a composite blade - forced retailers (and players) to choose from what was widely available. And most pro shops didn't want to carry 10 patterns left and right so they settled on a few popular ones

Easton basically set the standard for patterns - Modano, Sakic, and Drury are the gold standard. Most anyone under the age of 30 grew up with those patterns so no reason to change now...

#12 stock07

stock07

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

+1 on everything he said....My only problem is choosing/switching back and forth from Lindstroms to Drurys.

#13 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Quite possibly the best for puck handling and can lift a puck well.
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#14 str8prostock

str8prostock

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

I want to find a mix between a drury and a Sakic anyone know of any ?

#15 Diesel8810

Diesel8810
  • LocationHockessin, Delaware

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

Yep.. Precisely...

When I was a kid (yeah I'm dating myself here) I grew up using Sherwood "P77 Coffey" curves and the old original Montreal stick curve growing up through Bantams.. Then at the age of 15 I started spending 7 weeks every summer at Minnesota Hockey Camps in Brainerd, MN and became exposed to many development players up to and including NHL guys.. These guys were usually pretty friendly and at the shooting range would always bust balls on us younger guys (in a helpful way) about the ridiculous hooks we were using to lift the puck... They usually let those of us interested try out their twigs and I immediately got it.. I started using a heal curve (back then there weren't many at all available at the retail level - Christian Federov pattern blades were one of the only one's around and still needed tweaking a bit with a torch)... and by my 3rd summer my shot had seriously developed... I ended up getting my own pattern through Christian (basically what is now a Bauer P91A only a tad longer) in Jr's and never looked back as far as curves are concerned..

Using and controlling an open heal curve takes a bit of getting used to and a bit of wrist strength but once you get it your release on a wrister will be as quick as its going to get, saucers will float like you've never imagined, and your puck handling and back hand will benefit from a larger flat contact area..

Anyway.. Just my 2 cents and a little walk down memory lane..

Always looking for Pro Stock P91a RH 87ish Flex Grip Bauer Sticks.

#16 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'm curious for Drury-users to comment on using the curve for defense--i.e. advantages/disadvantages to using it for D (of course I'm aware that no curve is "offense only" or "defense only", just looking for helpful commentary).

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#17 HockeySavants

HockeySavants
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I play defence, and is great for puck movement. Also great for moving the puck around the half boards
He shot at the 2 hole....that's what she said

#18 Lefticious

Lefticious

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yep.. Precisely...

When I was a kid (yeah I'm dating myself here) I grew up using Sherwood "P77 Coffey" curves and the old original Montreal stick curve growing up through Bantams.. Then at the age of 15 I started spending 7 weeks every summer at Minnesota Hockey Camps in Brainerd, MN and became exposed to many development players up to and including NHL guys.. These guys were usually pretty friendly and at the shooting range would always bust balls on us younger guys (in a helpful way) about the ridiculous hooks we were using to lift the puck... They usually let those of us interested try out their twigs and I immediately got it.. I started using a heal curve (back then there weren't many at all available at the retail level - Christian Federov pattern blades were one of the only one's around and still needed tweaking a bit with a torch)... and by my 3rd summer my shot had seriously developed... I ended up getting my own pattern through Christian (basically what is now a Bauer P91A only a tad longer) in Jr's and never looked back as far as curves are concerned..

Using and controlling an open heal curve takes a bit of getting used to and a bit of wrist strength but once you get it your release on a wrister will be as quick as its going to get, saucers will float like you've never imagined, and your puck handling and back hand will benefit from a larger flat contact area..

Anyway.. Just my 2 cents and a little walk down memory lane..

WOW! Another Minnesota camp goer! i'll be training there this summer, the end of august! Such an awesome place!

Back to curve talk...

Been a PM9 user my whole life (10+ years), now am switching. 2 curves I'll be experimenting with P92/P91.

pm9 has treated me well, but things that lack for me now playing at college level :
-hard to throw good saucer
-get up high close in
-protect "cupp" puck from defenders when stick handling

I've grown with it, now time to hone in and learn a curve that further supports my style play.

Sounds like P91 "Drury" you need to be patient learning...

#19 Diesel8810

Diesel8810
  • LocationHockessin, Delaware

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

I'm curious for Drury-users to comment on using the curve for defense--i.e. advantages/disadvantages to using it for D (of course I'm aware that no curve is "offense only" or "defense only", just looking for helpful commentary).

I feel it's just fine for playing D... I play up top on the PP and find that the Heal curve is still ideal.. You can throw prefect saucers with the flick of a wrist, get a lot on a wrister/snap shot quickly from the point(rather than wind up), and clear the puck when necessary with ease..

WOW! Another Minnesota camp goer! i'll be training there this summer, the end of august! Such an awesome place!

Back to curve talk...

Been a PM9 user my whole life (10+ years), now am switching. 2 curves I'll be experimenting with P92/P91.

pm9 has treated me well, but things that lack for me now playing at college level :
-hard to throw good saucer
-get up high close in
-protect "cupp" puck from defenders when stick handling

I've grown with it, now time to hone in and learn a curve that further supports my style play.

Sounds like P91 "Drury" you need to be patient learning...

Yeah that place def did wonders for my game back then (were talking 1991-94)..

A good way to learn how to shoot with a heal curve is to practice "rolling" the puck from the heal to the toe as you release.. Almost letting the curve do a lot of the work... Once you get it you'll get it... Then just progress from there with shooting and putting a lot more behind the shot and release.... That's how I teach it anyways.. Puck handling should come with a little practice as well...

Always looking for Pro Stock P91a RH 87ish Flex Grip Bauer Sticks.

#20 Buffalo boy

Buffalo boy
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

A good way to learn how to shoot with a heal curve is to practice "rolling" the puck from the heal to the toe as you release.. Almost letting the curve do a lot of the work... Once you get it you'll get it... Then just progress from there with shooting and putting a lot more behind the shot and release.... That's how I teach it anyways.. Puck handling should come with a little practice as well...

Very well stated and accurate :up:
Go Sabres!