STX shin pads

STX STXhockey stx shins surgeon shin pads stx surgeon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

Hi everyone

I used to have many shinguards such as bauer supreeme, reebok 7k, sherwood 5030, etc and never was satisfied with quality and weight of shins.

Now I have ordered STX surgeon 500, since they seem to be very nice shins with good quality.

Has anyone tried them yet? And i think there is good interest for them since they all sold on monkey.

Also if someone has them please share your experience and review.

it looked odd, but i still grabbed a pair...

#2 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

i got the opportunity to "assemble" a group of testers again for STX protective and i picked about 20 people to get Shins, elbows and shoulder pads of choice.

i went with the Surgeon shins, surgeon elbows and stallion shoulder pads.

the surgeons are pretty nice, they feel a little narrow but the protection feels  legit

they have this really cool wrap system a 360 degree below the knee and a calf wrap,, however i spent most of my youth until the last few years not skipping leg day so my legs are too big for that calf wrap so i have to leave it undone and rely on my edge socks to keep it up.

basically if you have chiken legs like some hockey players in adult league you'll be fine.

the padding is really nice, it looks plasticky at first but it is so comfortable against your skin and takes a  beating.

the knee landing cradle is pretty decent, it feels like a suction cup to the knee which can be good when keeping in place when you fall.

thats all i have for now since i'm doing a long term review.

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#3 Gefiltefish

Gefiltefish

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

Currently using Surgeon 500 shins and elbows. I usually go with mid-range protective stuff, but the initial reviews of the STX stuff sold me on splurging on the 500's.

Honestly, the shin pads are nice - but they are not as big of a game changer as the elbows for me.

Obviously everyone is different, but the bottom strap on the shins is not long enough. I don't think I have overly large calves and I am using a 14" size. The top strap (360*) is great though. Allows a lot of customization.

Good protection, decent fit (not too shallow, not too deep).

~Sam~

#4 JoeyJ0506

JoeyJ0506
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

Currently using Surgeon 500 shins and elbows. I usually go with mid-range protective stuff, but the initial reviews of the STX stuff sold me on splurging on the 500's.

Honestly, the shin pads are nice - but they are not as big of a game changer as the elbows for me.

Obviously everyone is different, but the bottom strap on the shins is not long enough. I don't think I have overly large calves and I am using a 14" size. The top strap (360*) is great though. Allows a lot of customization.

Good protection, decent fit (not too shallow, not too deep).

...This. I was not overly impressed with the Surgeon 500 Shins when I got time with them at MSH's WinterFest. However, the elbows are a game-changer, and I got a pair the second they were available.

#5 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

What elbows were you guys in before, and what sets the Surgeons apart?

#6 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

i'm in Easton E700 pros

i was in some shitty jofa elbows but eastons were better.   I think the easton and the stx are hand in hand as far as protection but the stx are better with mobility and protection without leaving any open spots and thesegmented pieces like i said allowed great rotation without discomfort or the famous Pinching some elbow pads do for some people

#7 flip12

flip12

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

Generally, I'm partial to the three-piece designs like the STX ones. I'm in pretty crappy, flimsy KOHO's from forever ago right now. They're just OK protection-wise, but great for mobility. I'm always just trying to keep up on what's new.

#8 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

i would say screw those Kohos and chuck them in the trash  you can go with the surgeon and do the awesome 3 pieces or you can do the Stallion elbow which is more traditional like the Eastons and Jofa fits

#9 JTully317

JTully317
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

The surgeon elbows are amazing. Tried them on today. Very impressed

#10 flip12

flip12

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:29 PM

i would say screw those Kohos and chuck them in the trash  you can go with the surgeon and do the awesome 3 pieces or you can do the Stallion elbow which is more traditional like the Eastons and Jofa fits

Will do as soon as more pressing areas are addressed, such as helmet (just way too old), shoulders (thinking APX2 maybe), wrists and ankles...I'm pretty tall and skinny so I have gaps between all of my equipment pretty much! Even with 16" shins, tongues out, I have about an inch of ankle unprotected.

#11 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:34 PM

i got the opportunity to "assemble" a group of testers again for STX protective and i picked about 20 people to get Shins, elbows and shoulder pads of choice.

i went with the Surgeon shins, surgeon elbows and stallion shoulder pads.

the surgeons are pretty nice, they feel a little narrow but the protection feels  legit

they have this really cool wrap system a 360 degree below the knee and a calf wrap,, however i spent most of my youth until the last few years not skipping leg day so my legs are too big for that calf wrap so i have to leave it undone and rely on my edge socks to keep it up.

basically if you have chiken legs like some hockey players in adult league you'll be fine.

the padding is really nice, it looks plasticky at first but it is so comfortable against your skin and takes a  beating.

the knee landing cradle is pretty decent, it feels like a suction cup to the knee which can be good when keeping in place when you fall.

thats all i have for now since i'm doing a long term review.

Did you notice that they are longer in length than other shins?

#12 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

Well, today have received them shins, quality is great,materials are nice and there is a good ventilation. And it is not about skynny legs or not, calf wrap is short.

BUUUTTTT they are at least 2 inch longer than other shins in same size  :dunno:   

On the pic they are both size 14... 

fca748e11c57.jpg

575f20497a98.jpg

#13 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Wow! That Is a huge difference!!

#14 flip12

flip12

Posted 09 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

They look oddly wide at the bottom.

#15 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

sorry, i havent really been online, i'll get home tonight and measure them to my usual Easton pros and to the Surgeons and the Stallions since i have both right now

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: STX, STXhockey, stx shins, surgeon shin pads, stx surgeon