ADIDAS lands NHL jersey contract

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

Rick WestheadVerified account @rwesthead

Adidas has won a long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning in the 2016-17 season.

Should be interesting.. 

WTB: Blackhawk Hossa Franchises

#2 sgmccaskey

sgmccaskey

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

Adidas bought Reebok in '05 so it might just be more of the same 

#3 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Heard that the NHL is getting rid of a lot of their licensee's too, I would bet Ads on these jerseys are not far off.

#4 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

Heard that the NHL is getting rid of a lot of their licensee's too, I would bet Ads on these jerseys are not far off.

From the article:  "Moving to a new jersey supplier may be a natural transition for the NHL to begin introducing on-jersey advertising, several league sources told TSN.

During a meeting of NHL team presidents in New York last year, league officials estimated they might raise $4 million per team – or $120 million annually – by allowing corporate sponsors to put their logos front and centre on jerseys."

Not a fan.  I'm so sick of advertisements being shoved in my face at every opportunity.  

#5 Hills

Hills
  • LocationNiagara Ontario

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:22 PM

What, you don't like a big goldish Chevy logo on your red and white jersey?

adidas-manchester-united-15-16-home-kit%

#6 zenmasterchen

zenmasterchen
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:57 PM

Guess now we'll be collecting Climalites instead of Speedwicks

#7 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

Climalites were actually already making Speedwicks last season. Most of the newer stuff had the same look but the inside tag was Adidas. I have many like that!

Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#8 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

20480790378_d7298fbf28.jpg

#9 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:34 PM

From the article:  "Moving to a new jersey supplier may be a natural transition for the NHL to begin introducing on-jersey advertising, several league sources told TSN.

During a meeting of NHL team presidents in New York last year, league officials estimated they might raise $4 million per team – or $120 million annually – by allowing corporate sponsors to put their logos front and centre on jerseys."

Not a fan.  I'm so sick of advertisements being shoved in my face at every opportunity.  

I can almost guarantee it wont be that bad, if anything they will be like the AHL which i hardly notice anymore.

Remember everyone was up in arms with numbers on the front of helmets ? does anyone notice it anymore ? 

#10 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:26 AM

I can almost guarantee it wont be that bad, if anything they will be like the AHL which i hardly notice anymore.

Remember everyone was up in arms with numbers on the front of helmets ? does anyone notice it anymore ?

I guess it depends on how it will be placed.

Realistically I'm sure 99% of people on this forum don't want ads on the game jerseys. But the fact is that money talks.

They probably figure that people will get used to the ads anyways.

Referring to the soccer reference above, I don't understand how a fan can wear the jersey with "Chevrolet" or "Samsung in big letters straight across it.

If they were to do that in hockey I wonder how that would affect jersey sales with a big honkin ad across the jersey. I know I would not ever purchase an item like that

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#11 crabby

crabby
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:36 AM

It's kind of normal over here in Europe. Even my beer league team jersey is full of ads, but that doesn't bother me because it saves a lot of money... All the ads bring us about 4000-5000euros, almost half of our budget per season
LF
CCM TACKS 80 flex LH Kreps
Purple or green gloves
purple practice jersey

#12 weskuz

weskuz
  • LocationPA

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

Adidas could still use the ccm branding on jerseys, right? Or did they come out and say they will use the parent company logo?
-Looking for Warrior Goligoski gloves
-Looking for Florida Everblades gear

#13 JoeyJ0506

JoeyJ0506
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

Adidas could still use the ccm branding on jerseys, right? Or did they come out and say they will use the parent company logo?

They could, but I would think the announcement would have been "CCM Sports Wins NHL Jersey Manufacturer Bid" or something along those lines. 

I do not think there is anything to panic about... Michigan has already shown what an ADIDAS branded hockey jersey looks like:

max.HKC_.bigchill.12-11-10.0035.jpg

...Does not bother me at all.

#14 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:45 PM

can't wait to get my new team issue tear away rink pants.

b8942b58d50685d824c527161db0c438.jpg

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#15 weskuz

weskuz
  • LocationPA

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

^ 90's flashback lol
-Looking for Warrior Goligoski gloves
-Looking for Florida Everblades gear

#16 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

Can't wait for my new and improved pro stock gear (just as excited as this guy)!

modojersey2.jpg

Does anyone have any Nikon pants they're willing to part with?

#17 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

probably not since the pant logos are all velcro

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#18 kimchee411

kimchee411
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

I hope at least the practice jerseys are still the same Edge 3.0 but with an Adidas logo instead of Reebok.  That would be a nice little change I would be in favor of.

STUFF I'M LOOKING FOR (NEW/LIKE NEW CONDITION)
• MIC AX1 13" or 14" -- NOT NYI, Oilers, Habs, Ducks, Preds, Hawks, Leafs, Pens, or Devils (retro YES PLEASE).
• Joe Thornton CCM mitts

• Pro stock edge socks:
- Wings away

• Blackhawks red practice jersey 56/58
• Sens Cream Heritage 2.0 game jersey 56/58

#19 MyWifeWillKillMe

MyWifeWillKillMe
  • LocationAdams, NY

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:30 PM

My 2-year-old loves hockey.  I want her to remember the Habs sweater the same way I do.

The Habs have a small "Subway" patch on their practice jerseys.  Many teams have those patches.  I don't mind those.  In fact, I think it's pretty neat to collect the practice jerseys that have those patches on them.  For instance, there's no "Cross Insurance" (Bruins Praccy) where I'm from.

As for putting a small patch on the game jerseys like those?  It'd take some getting used to.

If it becomes front and center, like a soccer jersey, I'll be mortified.  I love collecting hockey jerseys.  It's one of my favorite things.  I would hate it if my beloved Habs sweater suddenly read "SUBWAY:  EAT FRESH"  front and center where only the CH belongs.

I'd hate it.  I don't want to watch the winter classic watching Cross Insurance vs. Subway.  At least give the original 6 an exemption.  Those teams deserve to keep their uniforms largely untouched.

#20 Harv

Harv
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

@JSportsnet 

NHL will make move to Adidas official tomorrow. Replaces Reebok as sweater supplier.