Glove palms and gussets - a guide to materials

custom gloves palms gussets overlay digital mustang nash clarino leather

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lemieux

Lemieux

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

INTRODUCTION

Two of the prominent features of hockey gloves are the palm and the gussets. (Custom cuffs would probably be next!) When I set out to order my custom Easton Pro+ gloves, I tried to research as many options as I could to pick out my specs. The information and videos about palms and gussets are scattered and sparse, so this is my attempt to bring together the information into one place.

Obviously, each material will vary from user to user, so take the information as you will. I'm open to suggestions to improve this post.

Special thanks to Pat Rivest for letting me visit his shop and pick his brain.

OVERVIEW

Hockey palms can be either genuine leather or synthetic leather. They will vary in thickness and durability. The synthetic leather options will be generally more durable than genuine leather. Their grip will depend on whether there is an addition adhesive or pattern added to the material.

Genuine leather palms used in hockey gloves mostly come from goatskin. Common natural leather options are Digital, mustang, and kangaroo. Those names are given by the manufacturer, Pittards; it does not necessarily relate to their source animal. They tend to be labelled as “performance” materials as they are not intended to be durable palms. Another drawback is that they may have irregularities from being a natural hide. These palms are not usually found on stock retail gloves because of their lower durability. Rather, they’re found on gloves for players who request it, whether it’s a pro or a regular customer.

Synthetic leathers are man-made. Common synthetic leather options are nash and micronash. In general, they are microfibers made to look like genuine leather but with improved durability and stain resistance. Based on their features, synthetic leathers are found not only on most (if not all) retail stock gloves, but usually on pro gloves, too. Hockey companies are always looking for the optimal synthetic palm material that is thin, durable, and soft, so more options are available on the market now than in previous years.

Replacement palms are available for genuine leathers and synthetic leathers. Companies will offer replacement palms pre-made (such as the ones found in the catalogue from Nash Sports) or will create them from the source material (such as repalming services offered at Custom Pro Repair).

GENUINE LEATHERS

Digital:

• Comes in grey.
  • Goatskin supplied by Pittards. (Synthetic non-Pittards “Digital” is not true Digital.)
  • Considered a “performance” leather.
  • Medium thickness between kangaroo/yellow mustang and pearl mustang.
  • Properly known as Digital textured leather and was first used in collaboration with Franklin as a “grip-enhanced leather for baseball batting gloves”.
  • May also been known as “Carbon Fibre Digital”.
  • Can be used as a base palm, and often used as an overlay for grip.
  • Has a pattern stamped onto the material to provide grip. (Looks similar to Suregrip, except Suregrip is a synthetic leather. Digital from Pittards will stay grippy over the course of its lifetime but nash-based synthetic variants will get slick over time.)
  • A common option for custom gloves at the pro and consumer level for its grip and feel.

Digital Tacky:

• Comes in a dark grey.
  • It is Digital (as above), but it is treated with an adhesive/glue to make it more sticky.
  • Generally used as an overlay only for added grip.

th_digital%20tacky%20digtal%20regular_zp

Digital Tacky (top), Digital (bottom).

th_Warrior%20Franchise%20Gonchar%20digit

Warrior Franchise, Digital palm, micronash gussets.

th_Warrior%20Franchise%20Palmieri%20digi

Warrior Franchise, Digital palm, Digital Tacky overlay.

Mustang:

• Comes in pearl and yellow.
  • Suede goatskin supplied by Pittards.
  • Pearl mustang is the thickest of all the “performance” genuine leathers and has the least grip.
  • Yellow mustang is thinner and has more grip than pearl mustang.
  • Yellow mustang is comparable to kangaroo, but with slightly less grip.
  • Was a popular option mostly for custom Warrior gloves.

th_yellow%20mustang%20pearl%20mustang_zp

Yellow mustang (top), pearl mustang (bottom).

th_black_warrior%20yellow%20mustang_zps6

Warrior Franchise, yellow mustang palm.

th_Warrior%20Franchise%20pearl%20mustang

Warrior Franchise, pearl mustang palm.

Kangaroo:

• Comes in one color, yellow.
  • Goatskin supplied by Pittards.
  • Apparently, it was given the name “kangaroo” because of its color! (It’s not made from kangaroo hide.)
  • Supple and grippy material.
  • Similar thickness (thinness?) to yellow mustang.
  • Kangaroo and yellow mustang have a relatively lower durability compared to the rest of the genuine leathers.
  • Was an option mostly for custom Warrior gloves.

th_kangaroo_zpssz5dptoi.jpg

Kangaroo.

th_kangaroo%20palm_zps3lnyuvfe.jpg

Warrior Franchise, kangaroo palm.

Horsehide and cowhide:

• These palms are (presumably) made from their respective source animals.
  • They’re usually very thick and most often used by players who prefer an old-school style of glove.
  • Horsehide is reportedly not as durable as goatskin.
  • Not a common option.

#2 Lemieux

Lemieux

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

SYNTHETIC LEATHERS

Nash:

• Comes in ivory, light grey, dark grey, and black. (No difference between the colors except the look.)
  • Technically described as a “polyester micro fiber, non-woven, synthetic suede”.
  • Synthetic suedes can be made by a variety of companies with a variety of thicknesses, so quality can vary depending on the supplier.
  • (Nash is the biggest point of confusion for me. I believe that “nash” is a generic term for synthetic suede made in a certain fashion. There isn’t a synthetic suede company called “Nash”. There must be a few dominant suppliers, including Clarino by Kuraray and Ennis, that supply the majority of the “nash” product. Whoever is the main supplier might be the nash that is the commonly-used palm that we know.)
  • Thick and durable palm material, usually 1.0 mm.
  • Can be used as a base palm for a durable palm and/or as an overlay for additional durability.
  • Pro players may prefer to use this palm because it’s common and they are used to it.
  • Compared to Clarino, nash will last longer but will become more brittle and hard when dried.
  • Because nash is made with a water-based adhesive, sweat will eventually soak into the palm and break down the bonds, which leads to pilling and splitting.
  • The nash material has no relation to Nash Sports, who supplies hockey products and accessories such as replacement palms.

Suregrip (Nash Grip):

• Comes in grey.
  • Described as an “embossed artificial suede”.
  • It is grey nash (as above), but with a pattern stamped onto the material (“embossed”) to provide a grippy texture.
  • Looks similar to Digital, except Digital is a genuine leather. (Hence, this could be called "synthetic digital".)
  • It is a thick and durable palm that is 1.0 mm thick.

th_suregrip%20grey%20nash%20ivory%20nash

Suregrip/Nash Grip (top), grey nash (middle), ivory nash (bottom).

th_Easton%20Pro%20SJ%20grey%20nash%20pal

Easton Pro, grey nash palm and gussets.

th_Easton%20Synergy%20800%20nash%20palm%

Easton Synergy 800, ivory nash palm and gussets.

th_CCM%20CL%20nash%20grip%20close_zpslwn

CCM U+ CL, Suregrip palm.

Clarino:

• Comes in ivory, light grey, dark grey, and black. (No difference between the colors except the look.)
  • Clarino is a broad term that describes a variety of synthetic leathers produced by Kuraray.
  • A non-woven bundle of intertwined microfibers that is buffed, napped, and dyed to become a soft and supple suede-like product that resembles genuine leather. (Check out the manufacturing process!)
  • (There is likely a specific subtype of synthetic suede within the Clarino company that is used in hockey. It might simply be known as “Clarino nash”.)
  • It is similar to nash but has a different construction that makes it more soft when dried but less durable.
  • Clarino nash is used by Bauer in the 2015 Nexus 800 for a soft feel. (Though, interestingly, non-Clarino nash is used in the Nexus 1000…)
  • Clarino nash is used by CCM in the 2015 Ultra Tacks for a pro feel.
  • Clarino is used by Warrior in the 2015 AX1 and QR1 for a pro feel and durability.

th_palms001%20clarino_zpsejbltx7m.jpg

MIA MB22, Clarino palm.

Micronash:

• Comes in (light) grey, dark grey, and beige. (There is no difference between the colors except the look.)
  • Synthetic microfiber.
  • Thin and durable palm material with consistent reports of having good feel.
  • Exclusive material to Warrior gloves, and sometimes underrated.

th_Warrior%20Franchise%20Ohlund%20micron

Warrior Franchise, Micronash palm and gussets.

AX Suede:

MSH3:

th_Eagle-Aero-Pro-Ths-MSH3_zpsjeirxwcn.j

Eagle Aero Pro, MSH3 palm. (Pic courtesy of The Hockey Shop.)

th_TPS%20HGT%20MSH3_zpsisyg53lu.jpg

TPS HGT, MSH3 palm.

th_Eagle%20X70%20MSH2_zpsdwefsmwi.jpg

Eagle X70, MSH2 palm.

VX Suede:

• Synthetic suede leather with a soft feel, per Eagle.
  • VX Suede is used by Eagle in the 2015 Sentry II for feel and durability.

Tactik Microsuede:

• Microsuede palm used by Easton in the 2015 Stealth CX for soft feel and abrasion resistance.
  • 0.8 mm thickness.

DURABILITY

From the most durable to the least durable, based on discussion with Pat Rivest:

• nash (most durable)
  • Micronash
  • pearl mustang
  • kangaroo/yellow mustang/Digital (least durable)

Compare with the list generated by JunkyardAthletic.

THICKNESS

From the thickest to the thinnest, based on discussion with Pat Rivest:

• nash (thickest)
  • pearl mustang
  • Digital
  • kangaroo/yellow mustang/Micronash (thinnest)

Compare with the list generated by Eagle Hockey circa 2008.

#3 Lemieux

Lemieux

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

OVERLAY

An overlay is an additional layer of material that goes overtop the base palm, typically over the middle portion of the palm but can also be found on other parts of the palm.

One reason for an overlay is added durability. The overlay can be the same material as the palm to double the thickness of the palm. Another configuration is to have a thin palm but a thick overlay for a mixture of feel and durability. Some players might order without an overlay, therefore creating a single-layer palm, for increased feel.

th_Bauer%20NXG%20Skinner%20nash%20palm%2

Bauer NXG, single layer (Clarino?) nash palm.

th_Nike%20Bauer%20XXX%20nash%20palm_zpsi

Nike Bauer Vapor XXX, "ultra-thin nash" palm, no overlay. (The retail version of this glove famously came with replacement palms!)

Another reason for an overlay is added grip. The middle of the palm is where the stick rests in the hands, so that’s where the grip is added to the palm. In this case, materials that are used are often Suregrip, Digital, or Digital tacky.

th_Bauer%20APX%20Pro%20nash%20with%20nas

Bauer APX Pro, nash palm, Suregrip overlay.

If you’re a pro player with very specific requests, you can have a special overlay pattern like Marian Gaborik!

th_Marion%20Gaborik%20palm_zps4zijlfwm.j

Gaborik glove, overlay on palm and fingertips.

GUSSETS

The gussets are the materials between the fingers that connect the palm to the foam body of the glove.

The gusset is usually the same material as the palm. For example, nash palms will have nash gussets, and Micronash palms will have Micronash gussets.

th_Bauer%204%20Roll%20nash%20palm%20nash

Bauer 4-Roll Pro, (Clarino?) nash palm and gussets.

In the case that a less durable material is used (e.g. Digital), the gussets will often be a more durable material, such as nash.

th_Easton20HSX20digital20palm20nash20gus

Easton HSX, Digital palm, nash gussets.

A popular custom choice is sponge mesh. Colors include white, black, and grey. It is lightweight and breathable. It’s found on pro gloves.

th_Easton%20Pro%20Cleary%20nash%20palm%2

Easton Pro, nash palms, white sponge mesh gussets.

Another option is poly knit, which is a stretch material. Colors include white and black. It’s lightweight and breathable. It’s found on pro gloves.

th_Bauer%20X60%20black%20gussets_zpsqgje

Bauer X60, nash palm, unknown overlay, black stretch gussets.

th_Warrior%20Covert%20Callahan%20digital

Warrior Covert, Digital palm, kangaroo overlay, white stretch gussets.

REPALMING SERVICES

You may be keen to repalm your glove using a YouTube video, but I’d suggest going with experts who have the equipment and experience to do the job nicely.

Mark “Peaches” Brennan of Peaches Pro Repair is a nice person with a good reputation who has done consistent good work for ModSquadHockey users, such as Harv and halfmoonyote. He’s a former NHL equipment manager and president of the Society of Pro Hockey Equipment Managers. His shop located in Portland, Oregon.

Ralph Beavis of Nash Sports is a good guy who is also well regarded for his knowledge and experience in the industry. Peaches sends clients in Canada to him. His shop is in Lakefield, Ontario.

Pat Rivest of Custom Pro Repair is a former employee at Warrior Hockey employee who teamed up with his colleague Ken to run their own glove repair and modification operation. They keep busy with pro jobs and Sports2K clients! He does a lot of good work and accommodates special requests, like the super-modified gloves from ibeck. His shop is in Lasalle, Quebec.

#4 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:07 PM

An amazing post thank you
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#5 Dunlop

Dunlop

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

Whoa!    Well done.   Thanks for posting!

#6 zenmasterchen

zenmasterchen
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

Holy shit. You are the man!

#7 Hyuen88

Hyuen88
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

I see a couple of mine made the cut. Nice job on the explanation....I think Pat might be thankin you in advance!

HK #17

Feedback

#8 Hokie

Hokie
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Awesome post, thank you for putting this together.

#9 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Just to add, looks like Eagle is/will start selling palms only

http://eaglehockey.c...essories/palms/

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#10 sveyland1

sveyland1

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:40 PM

Great post and my CCM U+ CL repalmed by Pat made it in there. Wish I had this before I sent the gloves to him but I'm happy with the choice. This made me think of some interesting alternatives for the next job though.

#11 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:35 AM

Great write-up 👍

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#12 Kadams29

Kadams29
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:37 PM

Your fuckin awesome buddy! Hell of a piece.

#13 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

Yea, you're a real nice guy lol. Every time I see this thread, I think to myself, I better order this soon, so it is ready for me when I am stateside again. And you, LEMIEUX, ought to be billed for half the price, since your write up keeps pushing me to hit the button and place the order !!! (Most key features: Sponge mesh gussets and mesh everywhere possible for super hot environment that I play in)

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-14%20at%2010.55.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#14 BostonBruins

BostonBruins
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

So was wondering if S2k could help me out. I'm looking for a palm that's thin and doesn't pit or dry out and is soft.

Palms I've used:

Pearl Mustang (Feels sticky when it gets soaked in sweat)
Digital (gets super hard and crusty)
Micro nash (soft but pits easily) (might be my favorite right now)

I am trying to repalm my Krug Boston Gloves
Always looking for BOSTON BRUINS gear!

Looking for Tampa Bay Lightning 3rd Set. Practice Jersey in Size 56, Size medium shell, 13 inch bauer/apx gloves.

#15 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

can/t say i've ever owned a pair of gloves with digi palms that get hard and crusty. mine ive always seemed to get softer as they age.

#16 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

maybe if you can get a hold of some...msh2/3

IG: Fooj Media

#17 - M

- M

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:32 AM

maybe if you can get a hold of some...msh2/3

Any Eagle dealer should be able to order them in now.  http://eaglehockey.c...essories/palms/

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#18 Hokie

Hokie
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

I didn't think the MSH2 was available anymore?  I have some older Eagles and absolutely love the super soft MSH2, but the palms on my X95 which I believe are MSH3 are a little stiffer and I do not like as much.  Do any of the palms available through Pat replicate the soft MSH2?

I do not have any experience with any of the "exotic" materials like digital, mustang, micronash, etc.  I'm sending two pairs of gloves to Pat for modification and am planning on experiment with one material on each pair of gloves.

#19 Gefiltefish

Gefiltefish

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:57 PM

I didn't think the MSH2 was available anymore?  I have some older Eagles and absolutely love the super soft MSH2, but the palms on my X95 which I believe are MSH3 are a little stiffer and I do not like as much.  Do any of the palms available through Pat replicate the soft MSH2?

I do not have any experience with any of the "exotic" materials like digital, mustang, micronash, etc.  I'm sending two pairs of gloves to Pat for modification and am planning on experiment with one material on each pair of gloves.

In my opinion, Pearl Mustang is the closest thing to MSH2 in terms of the soft feeling. I have not played with it long enough to comment on durability/wear, but was not impressed with yellow mustangs wear characteristics. My only pearl mustang palmed gloves are currently at Pat & Ken's for modifications.

I personally feel that micronash is the best of all worlds, but thats just personal preference. Its thin, softens up great during play and wears great.

Digital was also very thin and soft, but it dried out quickly.

~Sam~

#20 kimchee411

kimchee411
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

I agree MSH2 is softer than MSH3.  Unfortunately you are correct that MSH2 is no longer available.  Pearl is probably the closest thing that Pat has, but it's definitely thicker and I've heard it dries out with use.  I like micronash but I think it pills too easily, but so does pretty much every palm out there except MSH.  

STUFF I'M LOOKING FOR (NEW/LIKE NEW CONDITION)
• MIC AX1 13" or 14" -- NOT NYI, Oilers, Habs, Ducks, Preds, Hawks, Leafs, Pens, or Devils (retro YES PLEASE).
• Joe Thornton CCM mitts

• Pro stock edge socks:
- Wings away

• Blackhawks red practice jersey 56/58
• Sens Cream Heritage 2.0 game jersey 56/58

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, gloves, palms, gussets, overlay, digital, mustang, nash, clarino, leather