Photo

Custom/ Pro Thumb to prevent Jammed Thumb?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

Anyone have any tips for preventing jammed thumb? Hopefully just a once in a career thing, but the more I think about it, the more I guess this may have happened more. So, the "play" that I'm surprised never caused anything until today was:

Lefty crosses blue line moving slightly to his left. I am a Right Handed D man, so as he winds up for his slapshot, I reach in to touch the puck as he hits it, which typically results in a flubbed shot. Problem is, that his stick jammed my left thumb as he made contact with the puck, since I must have rotated myself a little bit as I reached to challenge the shot. Not epic pain or anything, just an "Ah frak this is gonna be a problem for the rest of the tourney" thought. No big deal, just a bad sprain, but this was a little chubby guy who jammed my finger, who is a mediocre skater with a mediocre shot. If it was a certain guy on my team (250 lb guy with a cannon), I think my thumb would have been jammed back into my hand. 

Anyway, aside from not letting my arm overrotate, anyone know of a mod I can make to my gloves to give me some jam blockage? I am thinking of a ledge to hang over the tip of the thumb, not sure if it has been engineered yet.

I wear Bauer Matrix Pro gloves- decent protection, lock flex thumb. The stick hit on my thumb itself, where the palm material is, not on the area with the foam or plastic.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#2 enzofox77

enzofox77
  • LocationWaterloo, Ontario

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

This never occurred to me that this could happen on the ice. I jammed by thumb pretty bad a few years ago playing basketball and it still gets pretty sore/clicks. Would be interested as too what people think of this as I certainly don't want to jam my thumb again

#3 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

This never occurred to me that this could happen on the ice. I jammed by thumb pretty bad a few years ago playing basketball and it still gets pretty sore/clicks. Would be interested as too what people think of this as I certainly don't want to jam my thumb again

UPDATE: I ended up breaking my thumb. Out 6 weeks.

Interesting thing, I have not played a ton of ice hockey (and have never really been coached), but I have played enough that I have successfully made this play hundreds of times in scrimmages and games. I asked some guys who were on my team for this past tourney (one a pro player in Lithuania), who I imagine have made this play millions of times, if their coaches have ever told them, "Do not over rotate the wrist when you challenge a shot from an enemy attacker." No one has every learned this, and when I showed them what happened, they were all kind of in awe as if to say, "I cannot believe that this has never happened to me, because I can see how it should happen rather regularly, if a person is not conscious of what they are doing with their wrist as they reach to try to deflect/ disrupt a shot attempt."

So yea, unless you are conscious as you reach, so that the stick is always between your thumb and the other guy's stick (do not over rotate the wrist) then you are at risk. Just one more thing for me to think about (as if there is not enough already going on upstairs messing with my instincts), as I play D.

#4 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

Do you seriously think a player is going to think to themselves, while lining up a player, while deflecting a shot, at top game speed, to worry about the position of their wrists so that a follow-through doesn't hit their thumbs?

You are crackers, man. Absolutely crackers. Good thing that Lithuanian pro could take tips from you though. Gonna have to take those back to the motherland.

#5 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

PJtnTuB.jpg

#6 Wanz32

Wanz32
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Which level of hockey are you playing? Beer league/Rec/Drop in? 

I would imagine this hasn't happened or hardly happens to a pro player as they don't look to play the puck when a forward crosses the blue line. Example A) Scott Stevens. Although his hits might not be deemed legal by today's rule book, you'd be damned to see him reaching for a puck when an opponent is coming across the line. 

Bottom line: Shitty luck, and wrong place, wrong time. 

- Always looking for new style stars gear, particularly Bauer! 

#7 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

Do you seriously think a player is going to think to themselves, while lining up a player, while deflecting a shot, at top game speed, to worry about the position of their wrists so that a follow-through doesn't hit their thumbs?

You are crackers, man. Absolutely crackers. Good thing that Lithuanian pro could take tips from you though. Gonna have to take those back to the motherland.

Wow, a guy breaks his thumb on a routine play, then offers a quick tip on how to prevent it, with a query on whether there is gear in existence that can offer some protection (just in case maybe this is too much to be thinking about), and you devolve into subhuman status and start slanging racial slurs? Yea, you're a real winner. I got a proposal pal, how about you and me never chime in on another's comment, ever? I invite the mods to hold us to it. If the mods agree, then I will even proudly change my signature to:

"Banned from future communication with DangleSnipe"

So, if you say "sure," and then I see it, I won't respond, and let's bury, yea? I mean really- you really wanna be a tough guy from behind the computer screen and call out a fellow member? C'mon man. What's that? Computer tough guy. Yea, ok.

Which level of hockey are you playing? Beer league/Rec/Drop in? 

I would imagine this hasn't happened or hardly happens to a pro player as they don't look to play the puck when a forward crosses the blue line. Example A) Scott Stevens. Although his hits might not be deemed legal by today's rule book, you'd be damned to see him reaching for a puck when an opponent is coming across the line. 

Bottom line: Shitty luck, and wrong place, wrong time. 

Beer league tourney, essentially:

http://www.pointstre...&seasonid=15007

It was not even a high speed play, and the guy was hardly flying. I gave him a bit of space as he crossed the blue line, and then when I saw him wind up, I reached to my right with my left (top) hand (right hand off the stick at my side I think), and poked the puck as his stick blade made contact with the puck. Then his shaft jammed my exposed thumb, at the point of impact of his stick blade with the puck. So, I was just playing the puck, because I knew he was in the process of shooting.

So, I am not sure the relevance of the Scott Stevens thing. I mean, it could happen anywhere in the offensive zone, and any defensive player who is close enough to reach a stick to touch the puck as he knows that the offensive player is gonna strike it on a slapshot, will do this, right? Sure, maybe I could have pulled off some other defensive maneuver, but typically, when I see a guy wind up, and I am near enough to touch the puck with my stick as he shoots, I do so, and the puck is steered wide and/or high almost every time. I recall the only time that the guy ever got the puck through, it was this guy who was reportedly formerly in the Dynamo system (Roman Lebedev). I asked the goalie if he had ever seen anything like it previously, which he said he did not (a guy rifling a shot like that, through a defender's stick blade, as if the stick blade was not even there).

Had I known about these angles and this area of vulnerability, then yea, I could have easily have had it in my mind to not over rotate at the wrist, and then my backhand or fingers would have taken the brunt of the force, which I am sure has happened hundreds of times, without any repercussion. At higher speeds, will I remember this? Probably not- thus the query about whether anyone has seen, tried or modded gloves to throw some padding in there at the tip and inside of the thumb.

Bottom line: I agree 100%, just bad luck/ wrong place/wrong time, and I am not bent or anything that I am out for a few weeks. I just wanna ensure that this is the only time that this happens, and come back protected in this area (so that I do not have to think about the position of my wrist).

#8 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

If you never, ever post anything, ever again, or in fact, never contribute anything to society ever again, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not being a "tough-guy". Your posts are non-nonsensical, and borderline ridiculous. Surely you have realized this from the other times other members have reacted to you and your silly statements.

And racist? Use a dictionary, or leave your basement once and awhile. Allow me to enlighten you a bit:

http://www.merriam-w...ionary/crackers

If you need help with any other big, tough words in the english language, just let me know bud, I'm always willing to help.

#9 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

If you never, ever post anything, ever again, or in fact, never contribute anything to society ever again, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not being a "tough-guy". Your posts are non-nonsensical, and borderline ridiculous. Surely you have realized this from the other times other members have reacted to you and your silly statements.

And racist? Use a dictionary, or leave your basement once and awhile. Allow me to enlighten you a bit:

http://www.merriam-w...ionary/crackers

If you need help with any other big, tough words in the english language, just let me know bud, I'm always willing to help.

I accept your offer, with the following condition: wire me 15 million Federal Reserve Notes, and all future contributions to society will gladly be withheld.

#10 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

Jason Spezza pro stock gloves would've protected your thumb dude. If you want to avoid injuries like this going forward I suggest you find and buy a pair.

#11 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:08 AM

Ohhhhhh/ low blow/ harsh crowd. Ok, from now on, I will try to be more normal, and vow to try to be more like everyone else, so that I will be accepted, and people will like me. Because being normal, within the bounds and confines of the group, is really cool. I'm gonna go practice now. Please let me know how I do. You can track me here:

http://www.sports2k....er/1561-cosmic/

#12 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

You're dealing with Hockey players who communicate almost exclusively via sarcasm and chirps, if you can't take the heat...

It sounds like a fluke play, sorry about your thumb.

#13 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Thanks man (about the thumb); it will be allright ...

And, I thought I was chirping/ being sarcastic back.

#14 Wanz32

Wanz32
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Haha "His shaft jammed my thumb".. Sounds like a typical night for Bency. 

My reference to Scott Stevens was only one small example of D-men lowering the boom as forwards cross the blue line, that's all. Just an example of pro players playing the body and not the puck. Hence a pro player being surprised by this happening. 

Maybe this will help?...

7D0C0804_Zucchini2_web_zpskxtuiyjr.jpg

- Always looking for new style stars gear, particularly Bauer! 

#15 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

I don't think that will help, but thanks for the "tip." I need something secured to the thumb of the glove, so that when the article of proection gets smashed, it will not just instantly smash into my thumb, but will instead hold its ground a bit. I just spoke with Pat at Custom Pro Repair. He can do something for me, I just need to find a pair of gloves to send to him (I am overseas and will not be on the mainland for long enough to ship my gloves to him, have him do the work, then send back). Any good Pro Stock shops and/ or gloves in Canada? Preferably 14 inch Bauer Vapor APX 2 decked out in PORON?