WarriorVIP Covert QRL Stick Review

Warrior CovertQRL WarriorVIP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bemino

Bemino
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to Sports2K.com, and I figured what better first post than a review for the new Warrior Covert QRL stick being released tomorrow (July 13). Enjoy!

Warrior QRL Stick Review

W03 Backstrom
85 Flex Grip
1.5" cut off (all sticks cut to exact same height
Used on ice: 12 Skates (13-15 hours)

Current Sticks used in rotation:
Bauer Nexus 8000 (Retail P88 87 flex)
Bauer Vapor x:60 (Baertschi pro stock P92 with bent toe, 87 flex)
Reebok 8.0.8 (Retail P87a 85 flex)
Reebok 20K (Retail P38 85 flex)
STX Surgeon RX (Hudler Pro Stock P28/P92 mix 80 flex)
CCM Ribcor 40K (retail P87A 85 Flex)
Warrior QR Pro (Lethbridge Hurricanes Team Stock W28 85 Flex)

Graphics: I really like the way this stick looks. It is very eye catching, but at the same time its not over done. I love how the weave on the lower part of shaft and blade looks, and of course the warrior logo on the heel is beauty. I've had a few people at shinny notice the stick from Social media posts, and everyone is a fan of the look.

Blade: I'm familiar with the curve so there wasn't any adjustment period. First thing I noticed about the blade was the stiffness. It's a very stiff blade that gives you great puck feel. You have no problem feeling where the puck is on your stick. Receiving passes, and stick handling is very solid, and overall gives you confidence when the puck is on your stick. The best way I can describe it is, it's like the blade is giving you constant feedback on where the puck is and what it's doing when it is on your blade. The blade does show use, and have nicks and scuffs, but it's only cosmetic. I tape my stick around the toe, back the beginning of where the warrior logo is on the heel and I take a lot of face offs.

Stick Handling/Puck Feel
This was pretty much covered above, so I'm not going to touch much more on it. with the stiff blade you have no problem telling where the puck is on your stick whether it be on your backhand or forehand. You feel very confident handling the puck and the stick truly feels like it is a direct extension of your hands.

Passing
Again, this was pretty much covered in the blade section but I will touch on it a bit more. Receiving passes feels great, whether it be a hard pass or a soft little setup feed. I don't have issues with hard passes bouncing off the blade, and feel very in control as soon as it connects with my stick. Saucer passes go off the stick trouble free, but I'm familiar with the curve so there's not a lot I can add about that.

Shooting
Definitely the wheelhouse for the QRL. The quickness of shots coming off this stick is unreal. I already loved low kick sticks, but honestly the QRL has made me fall in love all over again. Shots not only come off fast, but hard. Most of my shots are from the face off dots in, and I don't wind up for many clappers, but with the wrist shot I can fire off with the QRL I don't have too. I know everyone is saying the same about the release of the stick, but it's the truth there is no denying it. This stick gives me more confidence in my shot, whether I'm loading up a wrist shot, or hanging out at the side of the net one timing a cross crease pass behind the goalie. If you're a shooter, this is 100% the stick for you. My shots are harder, more accurate and off the stick faster than any of the other sticks I use. I wanted to say something different than everyone else about the shooting aspect of this stick, but I can't. The hype of the QRL in this category is real, and well deserved.

Stick Feel
I've already touched on how good the blade feels on this stick. It's stiff, responsive, and you know where the puck is, so I'm going to talk about weight and flex. After I cut it down, it weighs in at 408 grams, a very nice lightweight stick. I am very happy with the balance, it doesn't feel blade heavy, but at the same time it doesn't feel like there's nothing there at all. I feel the flex plays pretty close to my other sticks, all are cut down to the exact length (I'm very OCD about this).

Durability
So, this is the only part of my review that's changing since the mid point, and I'm happy to say I'm pleased with the durability of the #CovertQRL. The sick is still very solid structurally, and still feels as good as it did when I first received it. It has some scuffs of course, but there is no damage that is harmful to the stick, strictly cosmetic and it's really not even bad at all. It's what you would expect for a stick that has been used by a player that takes lots of face offs, goes to the dirty areas of the ice and digs for the puck in any and everyplace possible. It has held up better than my APX and APX 2 that I have used in the past, and I'd say much better than average compared to top of the line sticks across the board.

To conclude my #WarriorVIP review, I'm very happy with the #CovertQRL and would recommend it to anyone.
This sticks wheelhouse is definitely shooting and the #LightningQuick release, but with everything else I discussed above, truly any type of player can benefit in one way or another from this stick. Even the enforcers out there, it's s nice light stick that won't tire your arms out carrying it around, allowing those left and right hooks to be even more deadly. So my final words, this stick drops tomorrow (July 13) make sure to be there quick to get it, Warrior is also doing some sick prize giveaways too! This is one twig you won't regret dropping money on!

I'm very thankful to Warrior Hockey and Berto Yanez (check him out at Thinking Jack Hockey Reviews) for giving me the chance to participate in the #Warrior VIP program and for the great twig and sick Warrior swag I have received. I definitely hope to have the chance to participate again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warrior, CovertQRL, WarriorVIP