Photo

Kovalev/Perron Pro Pattern - BASE Hockey

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Mr Data

Mr Data
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:45 PM

Sorry to dig this up, but is this referred to the BC27 in the BASE ordering system?

And can anyone comment on the lie of the blade BASE produced the batch from? I've read that due to the rather extreme rocker that it plays rather low. I am looking for a low-lie pattern.

That's correct - the BC27. The rocker is indeed extreme, and that means the pattern is quite versatile. If you don't mind stickhandling on the heel, you can leave the stick quite long and it plays like a low lie. Personally, I prefer stickhandling in the middle of the blade and having the toe more accessible for shooting, so I've cut it down to the same length as my lie 5.5-6.0 sticks.

#42 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

Sorry to dig this up, but is this referred to the BC27 in the BASE ordering system?

And can anyone comment on the lie of the blade BASE produced the batch from? I've read that due to the rather extreme rocker that it plays rather low. I am looking for a low-lie pattern.

For me it plays very low. I have a couple of Kovalev's earlier patterns with less toe curve and they also have less heel rocker. Carrying the puck with my sticks cut at a good length for those curves didn't work with the Base Kovalev because the puck kept slipping out at the heel due to its rocker. Adding a couple inches to the shaft made that problem go away. In comparison to my other Kovalevs, the Base curve is a little flatter at the toe as well, so a little easier to handle in tight. Looking at pictures of Kovalev's stick length over his NHL career, he did seem to have made it longer in his later years so no wonder he'd alter the blade in tandem with that.

The heel slippage problem was corrected when I went with a stick length longer than I would for a PM9's lie 5. The rest of the blade is at a higher lie than a PM9, though.

#43 Gefiltefish

Gefiltefish

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I use a very long stick as it is. About 71.25 (standing against a wall) for my standard Kreps and low/mid like Sakic variants. And I'm only 6'0, so. Haha. Always just preferred a long stick.

Definitely going with a BASE blade here, as I really wanna try the regular blade stiffness. Just been debating between the Kovalev Pro, their lie 4 Sakic (BM19) or even the BC10. Leaning towards the BM19-L4 as I have very few issues with that curve, but my favorite pattern ever was the retail Warrior Gionta and the BC27 depth/curve location reminds me of that.

~Sam~

#44 BureKovy

BureKovy

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

Comparing the BC27 to a BC28 or Kovalchuk pro, it's definitely a higher lie.  5.5-6.  If you wanted to stick handle on the heel you could keep it around the same lie as a Kreps.  It would be hard to get it back to a Gionta I would say.  I got it because of the rocker and higher lie.

#45 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:20 PM

It's such a shame Base went with Kovalev's newer higher lie pattern for this. I still use the Base version but slightly older lower lie version was so much more usable for the general public.

#46 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:54 AM

It's such a shame Base went with Kovalev's newer higher lie pattern for this. I still use the Base version but slightly older lower lie version was so much more usable for the general public.

Is there a big difference or is it the combo rocker that's confusing us on how to label it? The differences between my earlier Kovalevs and Base Kovalev are noticeable but slight.

#47 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Seems to me around 0.5 of a lie, which made a huge difference in how it plays IMO.

#48 Mr Data

Mr Data
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hey everyone, BASE is once again looking for new pattern suggestions. Check out the updated thread: http://www.sports2k....for-new-curves/