Photo

Building an outdoor rink

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nittanypucker

nittanypucker

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Hey guys,

Ever since I was little I've wanted to build an outdoor rink. Now, many years later, I have two little boys who love hockey and skating and I want to pull the trigger and do this (before global warming steals more days away). There are places around here where you can skate outdoors but they are mobbed especially because the number of days cold enough to skate are limited.  Have any of you guys built one?  Nicerink.com has kits but I am wondering if that is the best way to go.  I watched a ton of videos but if you have any tips I'd love to hear them.  Thanks!

#2 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

I've done one for the last 6 years. Started with the nice rink 20 x40 when my son was two years old and have since expanded to about 60'x40'. Do you have a truly flat area? the amount of slope in your base will dictate how tall the walls have to be and how much water you will need. I buy the liners from a plastics company out of Florida, but am looking at trying boat shrink wrap plastic sheeting as supposedly it's a bit less expensive and no shipping costs. 

#3 nittanypucker

nittanypucker

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

I think I have a real good piece of property to do it.  It is flat and there is plenty of room for a rink.  Let me know how it goes with the boat shrink wrap. Was 20X40 too small?  I know I can fit the larger size but it is a big jump in price too.  

#4 BlackSnoSundae

BlackSnoSundae
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

• 20 x 40 is what I have, my kids and neighbors kids love it, we have bigger but with the 20 x 40 its perfect amount of ice and easy enough to maintain, with the floods and shoveling. Doesn't take to long to get going either.