Photo

World Cup of Hockey 2016 - Official Topic

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Let's use this topic to discuss WCOH 2016.

2016 World Cup of Hockey Schedule

All Times Eastern (GMT -5)

All Games Played at Air Canada Centre, Toronto

Group A
Team Canada
Team Czech Republic
Team Europe
Team USA

Group B
Team Finland
Team North America
Team Russia
Team Sweden

Preliminary Round (round robin) (away team listed first)

All games at Air Canada Centre, Toronto

Saturday, Sept. 17

Team USA vs. Team Europe, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2

Team Czech Republic vs. Team Canada, 8 p.m., ESPNEWS

Sunday, Sept. 18

Team Sweden vs. Team Russia, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team North America vs. Team Finland, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, Sept. 19

Team Europe vs. Team Czech Republic, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Russia vs. Team North America, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Tuesday, Sept. 20

Team Finland vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Canada vs. Team USA, 8 p.m., ESPN

Wednesday, Sept. 21

Team North America vs. Team Sweden, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team Europe vs. Team Canada, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Thursday, Sept. 22

Team Finland vs. Team Russia, 3 p.m., ESPN

Team USA vs. Team Czech Republic, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Semifinals (single elimination; A1 vs. B2, B1 vs. A2)

Saturday, Sept. 24

Semifinal 1, 7 p.m., ESPN2

Sunday, Sept. 25

Semifinal 2, 1 p.m., ESPN

Final (best-of-three)

Tuesday, Sept. 27

Final Game 1, 8 p.m.,ESPN

Thursday, Sept. 29

Final Game 2, 8 p.m., ESPN2

Saturday, Oct. 1

Final Game 3, 7 p.m. (if necessary), ESPN2

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#2 leftwinger37

leftwinger37
  • Location"The Great Lakes State"

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

Not crazy about the format with the inclusion of Team North America and Team Europe, but excited nonetheless for an international tournament on the smaller sheet.

I have no doubt Team North America and Team Europe will provide a lot of skill and excitement, but I feel that their inclusion puts a weird spin on the tournament. I guess I'm one of those fuddy-duddies that wants to see the best U-23 players on their respective country's teams. Cheering for Team USA while rooting against other Americans puts me in a weird place.

I would rather see Team North America and Team Europe do a Super Series against each other rather than being pooled with the other teams.

Also sucks to see how the Czech team can't find anybody that wants to play in place of their injured stars... That will really weaken pool play for Group A.

#3 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:00 AM

Im anxious to see thet games.

Ill be in Ottawa saturday for the USA vs Canada game.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#4 leftwinger37

leftwinger37

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

Im anxious to see thet games.

Ill be in Ottawa saturday for the USA vs Canada game.

Nice! Enjoy, Dupes! The USA vs. Canada matchups are the highlight of the tournament for me.

I got an email from USA Hockey back in May for presale tickets for the USA vs. Canada in Columbus tomorrow night. I had my credit card in hand and nearly bought two tickets on the spot before realizing that it's on my wife's birthday... Needless to say, driving 3.5 hours for a hockey game while she is almost six-months pregnant is not on the top of her birthday wish list.

#5 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

In Group A, anything but Canada and the USA advancing will be an upset. Group B is more interesting for the round robin play as I could see any of those 4 teams moving on. The semis and finals should of course be very engaging. If the under 23 Team North America ends up facing Canada or the USA at some point it'll be tough to choose sides for fans of those countries, but interesting to watch.

I still can't believe Team North America decided not to add Galchenyuk even after they had an opening due to injury. They still have a lot of offensive talent, but I think a guy like Galchenyuk with a few years of NHL experience playing both centre and wing and who scored 30 goals last season would be an easy pick for the team.

#6 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

It's a shame Czechs have no one to replace their injured stars, their team is a mess and will probably lose to team europe now...

#7 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

In Group A, anything but Canada and the USA advancing will be an upset. Group B is more interesting for the round robin play as I could see any of those 4 teams moving on. The semis and finals should of course be very engaging. If the under 23 Team North America ends up facing Canada or the USA at some point it'll be tough to choose sides for fans of those countries, but interesting to watch.

I still can't believe Team North America decided not to add Galchenyuk even after they had an opening due to injury. They still have a lot of offensive talent, but I think a guy like Galchenyuk with a few years of NHL experience playing both centre and wing and who scored 30 goals last season would be an easy pick for the team.

dont even get me started on chucky not being on this team...JT freaking miller over him omg

#8 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

The North America game last night was pretty interesting. Mcdavid, Matthews, McKinnon looked ridiculous out there. You could really see their speed and skill when they were cycling the puck or flying through the neutral zone against Europe.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#9 Scdp99

Scdp99

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

Love the team decals on the helmet instead of the NHL logo

#10 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:36 AM

I went to the game last night in Ottawa.

Didnt look like a pre tournament game at all.

Im looking forward to the tournament starting :y

#11 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

Had some intensity for sure. Nice to see between the two teams. Kesler got what he deserved.

It's quite interesting cause it's getting chippy and rough out there for a tournament that doesn't really have any credibility or merit compared to the olympics.

#12 leftwinger37

leftwinger37

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

Had some intensity for sure. Nice to see between the two teams. Kesler got what he deserved.
It's quite interesting cause it's getting chippy and rough out there for a tournament that doesn't really have any credibility or merit compared to the olympics.

I can't argue that the WCOH has as much cache as the Olympics, but there is still the Canada Cup lineage. No doubt this tournament is a cash grab, but I would say that is what the Olympics has become as well. Regardless, it clearly means something to the players based on the intensity shown in these exhibition games.

#13 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

totally agree about Kesler. pretty sure he does too. he got up without saying a word.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#14 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

I can't argue that the WCOH has as much cache as the Olympics, but there is still the Canada Cup lineage. No doubt this tournament is a cash grab, but I would say that is what the Olympics has become as well. Regardless, it clearly means something to the players based on the intensity shown in these exhibition games.

i believe the big part about this is the gimmicky Europe and NA teams. Realistically Mcdavid should be playing for Canada and Gaudreau on USA. The young stars team is quite entertaining but it doesn't feel right. Europe looks like a hot mess out there. 

totally agree about Kesler. pretty sure he does too. he got up without saying a word.

The funny part was after he got hit by jumbo joe, it seemed like he looked up to take a number then i think he got a little discouraged because jumbo joe is a big man at 6'4 226lbs.

#15 leftwinger37

leftwinger37

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

i believe the big part about this is the gimmicky Europe and NA teams. Realistically Mcdavid should be playing for Canada and Gaudreau on USA. The young stars team is quite entertaining but it doesn't feel right. Europe looks like a hot mess out there. 

Can't argue with any of this... Team USA could use some of the skill from that Team NA roster for sure.

#16 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

That first game for Canada was a walk in the park :canada:

Anyone will be attending any of the games?

#17 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

Im looking forward to the Canada vs USA game tonight.

#18 leftwinger37

leftwinger37

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

Im looking forward to the Canada vs USA game tonight.

Me too! I enjoyed the games I watched yesterday and over the weekend. Everybody seems like they are rounding into form (except the US and the Czechs).

Don't understand the decision to play Abdelkader on a line with Kane, but this whole US roster was constructed on flawed logic anyhow. Part of me wants to think that this is all some elaborate prank that Torts is pulling.

#19 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

Don't understand the decision to play Abdelkader on a line with Kane, but this whole US roster was constructed on flawed logic anyhow. 

Having a guy who hits and forechecks on a line with a skill player opens up space for the skill player, happens all the time

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#20 leftwinger37

leftwinger37

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Having a guy who hits and forechecks on a line with a skill player opens up space for the skill player, happens all the time

Kane excels playing with a winger that matches his skill and a puck distributing center that can be the first forward out of the zone. I know the expectations are high for Kane to produce no matter who is playing with, but they should be putting their best player in a position to succeed. I'm not high on Abedelkader to start with, but I feel like he'll feel the need to prove himself and probably take some bad penalties. Just my opinion.