Photo

Oshie Pro Stock Curve(s)?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

So PSH has had a whole bunch of "Osh 77" HD1's for the last few months, various flexes, and lies either 5.5 or 6.5, but last year they also had an Oshie QR1 listed as a lie 4.  

Has Oshie been messing with his blade that much? The pictures, tbh look almost exactly the same.

Also, has any one used an of these Oshie iterations?  I'm looking for a new curve:  I grew up using PM9's, but want some toe action.  I've used a Gionta, wished the heel and rocker was a little flatter, used a P28, just a little too much hook for me, and even messed around with a Samsonov and Palushaj pro-stocks, both just a little too open.  How's Oshie's match up to these guys?  Hard to tell from pics if it's more of a wedge with some toe or a toe with some wedge...

#2 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

There's more rocker on PM9 than Gionta. I had the reverse reaction: hated the flatness of the Gio.

#3 cgwozdecky

cgwozdecky
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:05 PM

As far as I know the Oshie pro-curve is basically a Bauer P08; a heel-curve with a round toe. Basically, it's a "tame" version of Ovechkin's pro-curve. It curves and opens in the same spot as Ovi's but Oshie's curves and opens less. Do a google image search for "Bauer P08" and you'll see what I mean!

You'll remember from the playoffs a few months ago Oshie was actually using Ovi pro sticks since the curves are so similar. If you thought the P28 had too much curve I doubt you'd like the Oshie pro but give it a shot and sell it to me if you don't like it :)

As for the Warrior being a lie 4 I'd chalk that up to Warrior lie's being measured different than other manufacturers. AFAIK a Warrior lie 4 = CCM/Bauer/Sher-Wood lie 5.

#4 flip12

flip12

Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:24 PM

The lie was as measured by prostockhockey though, not Warrior, if I'm reading the OP right. I often wonder about PSH's lies. It's nice that they include them, as it's important information. It just seems they're all over the place. Could be you get very different readings from different employees. I've never bought anything from them though, so I have no idea in reality.

#5 AmeriCanadian

AmeriCanadian
  • LocationMO

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

I bought one from them before listed as a 6.5 lie and let me tell you... That was a lie.... I'm really sorry but anyway my point is it was exactly the same lie as bauers pm9 and was by no means a 6.5 (which I was happy about) it should be clear in the picture too that the lie is pretty low. If anything it was lower than the pm9. My thinking is maybe they measured some off the toe and some off the heel but either way I doubt they're different lies...

#6 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

The lie was as measured by prostockhockey though, not Warrior, if I'm reading the OP right. I often wonder about PSH's lies. It's nice that they include them, as it's important information. It just seems they're all over the place. Could be you get very different readings from different employees. I've never bought anything from them though, so I have no idea in reality.

Wouldn't it be harder to measure lies on true custom curves because players do crazy things with their rockers so the blades will have dual lies?

Custom everything.

#7 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Yeah, if it's anything like a P08, it's not for me.  Thing felt like I would be shooting with a soup ladle when I picked one up in a LHS.  

Lie is a tricky thing, especially when there's no exact reference point.  And it doesn't help to look at how a player skates either.  I've definitely seen some p92's being used like more of a 4 lie and some being used more like a 6 lie, all depending on how someone likes to stick handle.

Honestly, dream curve for me (and seems like a few others on this site) would be something like Kovalchuk's hook, but not so deep, know what I'm saying?

#8 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:57 AM

From what ive herd, warriors retail lies were measured with the player stickhandling on the mid heel, where other companies would use the exact middle of the blade.  So a pm9 with the middle of the blade on the ice is a 5, the mid heel would be a 4-4.5

IG: Fooj Media

#9 flip12

flip12

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

Wouldn't it be harder to measure lies on true custom curves because players do crazy things with their rockers so the blades will have dual lies?

Yes, definitely. I think the lie system needs to be reworked. Kind of like the combo radius measurements. Some lies are two combos, which need clarification about where one takes over from the other. Some blades are maybe more like triple lie blades, like Kovalev pro. I keep meaning to look into the the math behind Bezier curves to see if there's a system there that could be appropriated.

A related question: where do the lies we're familiar with come from? Are they shorthand for degrees, as 44º, 45º, and 46º minus the 4?

In any case, the best alternative for mapping the simple angle lie system to rockered blades could be to find the angle which minimizes the gap area between that angle and the curve of the blade.

Yeah, if it's anything like a P08, it's not for me.  Thing felt like I would be shooting with a soup ladle when I picked one up in a LHS.  

Lie is a tricky thing, especially when there's no exact reference point.  And it doesn't help to look at how a player skates either.  I've definitely seen some p92's being used like more of a 4 lie and some being used more like a 6 lie, all depending on how someone likes to stick handle.

Honestly, dream curve for me (and seems like a few others on this site) would be something like Kovalchuk's hook, but not so deep, know what I'm saying?

For the dream curve, I was thinking the same, Kovalchuk pro, just tamed a bit. Then I remembered I had an old Warrior Smyth at home (which it looks like Kovy's been ordering again, if PSH's recent stock of his sticks isn't a fluke) that seemed to fit that description, but I just got back from there and couldn't find it anywhere.

For me, I'm thinking now maybe my dream curve is Kessel pro, just mirrored to left hand.

#10 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:44 PM

I have messed with a Kessel.  It broke my second game though, haha.  I did like it a lot before that though.  Not to aggressive, but just a little more than a pm9.  Maybe wanted a little more toe out of it, but a great curve none the less.

I have been thinking about a Smyth, especially with the custom Warrior sticks coming back recently.  Just worried about how much it curves towards the heel.  Some pics doesn't make it seem like a true toe curve, but more like a mid-hook, ala CCM P46.

As far as lie, I do remember the old warrior stick customizer had listed degrees next to their lies, a 4 was a 137 degree angle with horizontal or something, and then a 5 was 136 and so on...

#11 flip12

flip12

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

If that's the case, 137º leaves 43º for the complimentary acute angle for a 4, 44º for a 5, etc...not quite matching what I was thinking. It just makes me wonder, then, why call it a 4, 5, or 6 lie? Although, Warrior was notorious for being off by a number on most of their lies.

The Smyth, is more of a heel to toe curve, basically a mid with an extra, soft inflection point in the toe area, if I remember right. At least it looks like it from this (not my) pic:

IMG_0543.jpg

#12 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hmm.. looks almost P88-ish with a little bit more toe

#13 flip12

flip12

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

That would be a very interesting side by side. Lower lie on the Smyth though. At least as low as the E4 if not a touch lower from what a lot of people said when it was first released. Can't verify since I couldn't find the old blade I had though.

#14 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

flip12, you might want to check this out:

http://www.dkhockey....spooner-bruins/

IMG_9789__30957.1434132396.1280.1280.jpg

Not a lefty Kessel, but still a pm9 with a little bit of toe at the end.

#15 flip12

flip12

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Good catch, that one looks pretty nice too, but these are the ones that I've really had my eye on over at DK's,

http://www.dkhockey....grip-mid-g3-za/

http://www.dkhockey....custom-mid-toe/

Both look pretty Kessel.

IMG_9318__26346.1431036244.1280.1280.jpg

I just reacquired my old sticks from my parents' place, and I realized my E4+toe was more E4+mild-mid-toe. With some practice I hope to be able to get Sykora's composite curving technique down. If necessary I plan to use aplTec's patches to fix any cracks that come about if I have some failures along the way. It's just too perfect of a pattern for me and not anything that I have to hunt down or special order.

Here's my home-curved blade, kind of between the point of the curve you posted @Kimo91 and the other two from DK's; maybe a bit closer to the other two from DK's.

#16 flip12

flip12

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

I have messed with a Kessel.  It broke my second game though, haha.  I did like it a lot before that though.  Not to aggressive, but just a little more than a pm9.  Maybe wanted a little more toe out of it, but a great curve none the less.

I have been thinking about a Smyth, especially with the custom Warrior sticks coming back recently.  Just worried about how much it curves towards the heel.  Some pics doesn't make it seem like a true toe curve, but more like a mid-hook, ala CCM P46.

As far as lie, I do remember the old warrior stick customizer had listed degrees next to their lies, a 4 was a 137 degree angle with horizontal or something, and then a 5 was 136 and so on...

So, while I'm in Minnesota for a few months, I've been able to check out a lot of P46's next to P28's and PM9's, and now I'm pretty sure that the P46 is a PM9 modified to add the slightest bit of toe curve, making it a kind of heel+toe mid similar to the P28. The lie and blade face match up with a PM9 though, just with a little bit of the toe beveled for pick and fling releases. I think it's exactly the pattern I've been looking for for ages. I've also managed to find a Warrior Smyth blade and can confidently say, it also is a PM9 lie and shape, only with a beveled toe and more of a continuous mid-curve. The heel is pretty straight in comparison to the PM9.