Photo

How To Ship Hockey Equipment 101

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

First, Dupes, feel free to move to a more appropriate section if you feel it will not get enough traffic here.

Decided to make a thread and share some experiences on shipping to help cut down on shipping prices for everyone.  It's not cheap shipping to our members not in the USA and likewise for all of friends north of the border and globally.

Here are some ways to make shipping cheaper for everyone and examples.

Contractor Garbage Bags Are Your Friend

https://www.amazon.c...or garbage bags

These are the same or better as a tyvek bag and the best part is, if you cut them in half that's two pairs of pants you can ship with one bag.  Using a bag like this cuts the cost and weight of a parcel down significantly.  Finding a box that fits a pair of hockey pants is almost impossible to do and oft leading to a balloon charge for the size of the parcel.  I've used these to ship gloves and shells also, especially internationally.

Free USPS Bubble Mailers

https://store.usps.c...ductId=P_EP14PE

I love these and they're great to ship a variety of things: 9K shells, shells, speedwicks, socks.  Best part it's a flat rate envelope so $6.80 coast-to-coast in the USA, no-hassle, no BS.

Below, I have attached some images of shipping costs (domestic to follow):

Two Pairs of Bauer pants to Quebec

20324A2E-52D7-4297-9D5A-1EFE69C2272D_zps

CCM PP10 Shell to The Netherlands:

0F18EE5E-A0AC-425F-BA94-7E638FDAB33D_zps

Two Pairs of Bauer pants to Ontario:

6CE66672-8650-4A0C-8C52-CDAE8C0A9743_zps

One95 Bauer Pants to BC:

E4467535-4810-42E9-BA7A-9713D438B34E_zps

Bauer Hockey Pants to Canada:

CFE5392B-00DA-4DAE-B4A9-409900DAEEA9_zps

#2 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

What do you do exactly? Put the pants in the bag, then tape it all up?

How do you ensure pants wont get scuffed from being thrown into the packaging lines with other boxes?

#3 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

Yup, I'll post a picture the next time I ship a pair.

I've never had one person complain about this method.  The contractor bags are very heavy.

#4 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

We use the black trash bags when shipping goalie pads and pants everywhere. Putting them in a box gets the goalie pads tagged with a balloon rate, but the bags get the regular rate. Makes shipping pants a little cheaper.

We usually stock pile the 12x12x8 boxes that are free from the post office. Its amazing what you can fit in them when you tape 2, 3, 4 boxes together. 

Flat rate envelopes are good for socks, t-shirts, tape, and other small misc items. 

The trick is to find a post office that is laid back and won't measure every single item you bring to them. I use a post office 4 towns away because Ive been using them for 15 years and they don't measure anything we bring to them. Nothing worse then bringing a prepaid package to a post office and the clerk tells you that you owe more postage!

#5 antoineh9

antoineh9
  • LocationMontrĂ©al,Qc

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Whats the best method to ship elbow pads? With the contractor bags?

#6 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

Going

Whats the best method to ship elbow pads? With the contractor bags?

Going to where? USA or Canada. Your location says Montreal so to the USA they should weigh 0.5 - 1kg. you should be able to ship to USA for $22 with tracking or $16 without tracking by packet air from Canada.

If by miracle they are under 500 grams you can ship small packet air for $12

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#7 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:20 PM

nice thread louie, good to know this to keep costs down for us Canadian buyers

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#8 wobblypops

wobblypops

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

What do you do exactly? Put the pants in the bag, then tape it all up?

How do you ensure pants wont get scuffed from being thrown into the packaging lines with other boxes?

Yeah, can you please explain with some detail how you package them? 

I ask because I went to get a shipping estimate today with my pants in an indusrial garbage bag and the lady argued with me that the ouside of the bag is too slippery (lol) and that the labels will fall off it.

I still got her to estimate shipping and it was significantly cheaper so I still want to use this method. 

looking for Dallas/Texas Stars & UND Fighting Sioux gear

#9 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

Maybe if the buyer is concerned about the condition of the pants, they should spring a few extra bucks to pay for the slightly added weight of a box?
It constantly amazes me how some people will pay $150 for something, then cheap out on shipping in order to save 5 bucks.

#10 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:27 PM

I've probably shipped 50+ pairs of pants, lowers and gloves this way all over the world and never once had someone pm or email me and say the condition of their new pants was unsatisfactory. I suppose if you were really concerned you could use bags.

#11 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:42 PM

I've probably shipped 50+ pairs of pants, lowers and gloves this way all over the world and never once had someone pm or email me and say the condition of their new pants was unsatisfactory. I suppose if you were really concerned you could use bags.

I wasn't really referring to you, just making a general statement about the complaining about shipping costs.

Personally, if I'm paying good money for an item, I'd want it to get to me safely. I've had people ship gloves I've paid $250 for sent in plastic grocery bags. I can guarantee that I wasn't passed along the shipping savings on that deal, and if I were asked, I'd have rather not have my gloves arriving looking like they were wrapped in garbage.

Looking at your receipts, I'm seeing only very minor savings using the bags, so all things being close to equal, I'll use a box, thank you.

#12 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:31 AM

No, no I know you weren't!

#13 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

How about shipping sticks?  I have a bunch I'd like to offload but am terrified of the costs associated with shipping them individually...

#14 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

How about shipping sticks?  I have a bunch I'd like to offload but am terrified of the costs associated with shipping them individually...

Wrap the stick in bubble wrap and seal it with packing tape. Double wrap the blade and affix the label to the back of the blade. I've sent tons of sticks (via priority mail) this way with no issues and never spent more than $15 each. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#15 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

Makes sense.  Thanks Jake!

#16 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

Bought a Grit Sumo goalie bag off of a guy on Sideline Swap, and he's telling me he's having trouble finding a box to ship it in.  

I already suggested taking it to the UPS Store for shipping / packing options, and also asked if there was an LHS nearby that might have spare boxes he could use.  Any other suggestions?

#17 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

Tell him to go to any retail store and ask if they have any boxes out back.

#18 louie

louie
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

Garbage bag

#19 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thanks guys... I got notification it shipped, so in a few days we'll see what he came up with....

#20 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

Anyone else gotten recent notifications from USPS and / or eBay re: discrepancies in the weight of some packages?  I've gotten a few... interestingly enough, a couple of them were on Flat Rate packages.   :dunno:

I finally caved and got a postal scale, something I probably should have done a long time ago.