Photo

Garret Sparks suspended by the Leafs because of... Facebook!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

I always thought it was cool to see him troll the web and to be a gear whore.

I think that may of ended....

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#2 DD77

DD77
  • LocationNKY

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:25 AM

I've read several stories where it was explained he was coming to the aid of a disabled person that was being picked on. Apparently, Garrett has been coordinating gear donations for this person and a couple of shitheads had to run their mouths. The first comment on one of the stories is from the Ali Lynn seen in the screenshots. She explains as much in her comment. (Sorry, I thought I had copied that link, but my technological incompetence has reared its ugly head yet again.)

Yes what he said sounds bad and yes, because he's in the public eye he needs to watch himself. That being said, he gets a pass from me on this one if he was in fact just trying to defend a disabled person and put a few trolls in their place.

#3 LankNasty

LankNasty
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario

Posted 27 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

"Thank God theres still a sport for middle sized white boys"

-Derek Sutton (Youngblood) 

#3k

#4 JC116_MTL

JC116_MTL
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

Damn, this whole thing is just too darn bad. I almost get the sense that everyone's mother warns us about these kinds of things, to be the 'bigger person' and to not pay any form of attention at all to those stupidities (comments) like those made by that Tyler guy. But I get it, it can be really, really hard to do that at times. Especially when people are too oblivious to recognize a good gesture, and jealously overcomes them. 

I take it from a lot of the feedback I've seen on social media that his intentions were good. But whether you're a pro sports athlete, or regular employee at an average company; we've living in an era where things like these do not go unnoticed. Institutions cannot have any bad media associated to them- and by media I mean anything, even just a short vulgar Facebook comment. 

I'm sure many of you hear it all the time: one has to be careful on the internet. You cannot maintain the belief that what you share on any corner of the internet won't be seen by whoever, because ironically enough, it almost certainly will. 

Don't get me wrong- I would've been extremely frustrated too if I were in Garret's position. But unfortunately he was a little too 'trigger-happy' on the keyboard. Hopefully things will work out in Garret's favour in the end. But this is reminder to us all to think twice before we say or type anything, because you never know for sure who is watching or listening. 

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you absolutely have been found wanting. Welcome to the new world. God save you, if it is right that he should do so."

#5 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure many of you hear it all the time: one has to be careful on the internet. You cannot maintain the belief that what you share on any corner of the internet won't be seen by whoever, because ironically enough, it almost certainly will. 

this is a point that I am forever trying to get through to my 17 year old niece. the interwebs aren't written in pencil, they're written in ink. there's also no such thing as a "closed" or "private" group. someone somewhere is going to share it and even if you delete a comment or post it is never really gone.

it's a shame Sparks got in trouble for it but I suspect the team is using it as a lesson to be learned not just for him but for all of their young players.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......