Photo

Best Curve of All Time!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Finally got to use my Base BC27 Kovalev curve last night.  It felt like magic.  Everything about it was right.  The long blade and rocker made everything easy. Puck handling is great, shooting is effortless and passing was dead on accurate. Love it. Now the only problem is I have to buy more of them and get shafts as well. 

#2 pdw

pdw

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

wish trying different curves was realistic.

Im stuck on the p92 cause its overall decent, And dropping $100+ to try something different is a risk. But Im not in love with the p92.... 

I did have an E36 which was pretty good but I can catch passes better on the p92

#3 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

wish trying different curves was realistic.

Im stuck on the p92 cause its overall decent, And dropping $100+ to try something different is a risk. But Im not in love with the p92.... 

I did have an E36 which was pretty good but I can catch passes better on the p92

That's why I went with the blade and not a whole new stick. Blade was 60 bucks plus shipping.

#4 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:03 AM

Finally got to use my Base BC27 Kovalev curve last night. It felt like magic. Everything about it was right. The long blade and rocker made everything easy. Puck handling is great, shooting is effortless and passing was dead on accurate. Love it. Now the only problem is I have to buy more of them and get shafts as well.

that pattern is magic

#5 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

I'm really into Kovalev's earlier patterns right now, with just a subtle toe curve. It's a lot like Duchene's pattern.

#6 Mr Data

Mr Data
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

Finally got to use my Base BC27 Kovalev curve last night.  It felt like magic.  Everything about it was right.  The long blade and rocker made everything easy. Puck handling is great, shooting is effortless and passing was dead on accurate. Love it. Now the only problem is I have to buy more of them and get shafts as well.

that pattern is magic

Agreed! I think it's an acquired taste, since it's such an unusual blade profile. However, the more I use it, the more I like it. I started using it with a longer shaft than usual because of the low lie on the heel, but I've cut down my stick since then to get more toe on the ice. Seems to help for shooting and picking rim passes off the boards.

I'm really into Kovalev's earlier patterns right now, with just a subtle toe curve. It's a lot like Duchene's pattern.

If I'm not mistaken, Duchene uses the original Sakic Pro. Kind of a slight heel wedge with a bit of toe. Here are some pics:

IMG_20160827_164449_zpshld2kyn0.jpg

IMG_20160827_164513_zpsg7qe0qbj.jpg

I find that pattern pretty similar to BASE's current Kovalev pattern. Both are mild heel wedges with a bit of toe. Duchene's pattern has a bit less toe though. I saw an earlier version Kovalev once, and it didn't have the same heel wedge that the later Kovalev and the Duchene / Sakic Pro have. It was just straight in the heel, with a slight toe curve. The heel kink in the Kovalev / Perron Pro makes the curve more playable for me.

#7 flip12

flip12

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

The old Kovalevs I have are close to that Duchene/Sakic pro, just with a little toe kink as well as a heel kink. I can try to get some good side by side shots with the Base Kovalev I have. I played with the Base pattern last night and found it easier to shoot with, but harder to handle the puck with on the move. I think that's down to the difference in lie profile. The Base pattern has a bit more rounded heel profile, and it feels as though I sort of lose the puck out of the bottom of the blade in that extra rounded bottom. It's a strange feeling, like someone's pulling the puck behind me with a string. The other Kovalevs I have are closer to the PM9 in their heel roundedness, but with more rocker from the middle of the blade to the toe. The Base rocker in that area of the blade is even higher, which I think is part of why it feels smoother to shoot with that pattern. I wonder if he made the toe on that pattern higher since the curve counter acts a higher lie?

#8 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:18 PM

The two things I love most about the curve is how long the blade is, and how easy it is to shoot.  I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but with the Kovalev curve I can wrist a shot over the net from the opposite goal line.  Can't do that with my old W88 curve. And the extra long blade makes puck handling easier for me.

#9 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

anyone know the lie on the Kovalev base pattern ?

#10 JC116_MTL

JC116_MTL
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

If I'm not mistaken, Duchene uses the original Sakic Pro. Kind of a slight heel wedge with a bit of toe. 

You are entirely correct, I can 100% confirm this. I have an original Easton Stealth Sakic pro stock. Curve is essentially the same. 

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you absolutely have been found wanting. Welcome to the new world. God save you, if it is right that he should do so."

#11 flip12

flip12

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

anyone know the lie on the Kovalev base pattern ?

The heel area is 4.5-75, mid-blade 5-5.25, toe 5.5+.

#12 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

The blade itself says Lie 5.5

#13 flip12

flip12

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:37 AM

Yes, but its lie consists of a compound curve, so a single number only achieves a rough approximation of what lies it has. It's essentially like a combo-radius, with a triple or quadruple lie composition along the length of the blade.