Photo

Gear Storage Ideas

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 griswald88

griswald88

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hey, I am looking to set up a storage area for all my gear and have been looking to see what's out there. There are some storage lockers which look cool and would do the trick, but only for the primary gear. Does anyone have any experience with or have any thoughts on a nice ventilated drawer system that could house shells and gloves? Thinking of something like a ventilated bureau. Thanks for all opinions!

#2 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

I just left the same answer over on MSH but it doesn't hurt to repeat it over here:

I use a shelving system from Container Store called InterMetro:

https://www.containe...o-solutions/123

I have a shelf at the top where I keep helmets. originally the next shelf was about halfway down so that I could hang my pants (I had about 5 pair) but I've switched to girdle and shells so now it houses extra girdles and I stack the shells (I probably have about 40 shells at this point), under that is a basket shelf where I store some of my extra gloves. there is one more shelf at the bottom where I keep extra skates, skate dryers and extra elbow pads.

I keep it inside a Stor-Pod cover:

https://www.containe...ductId=11003789

this was especially useful when we were having some work done in the basement. we were able to roll the entire unit into the laundry room and zip it up to keep out dust from the work that was going on.

here's a pic from right after we finished the work on the basement. (this was when I still had pants) I forget how much the total unit was but it was worth every. single. penny.

B0F72AB1-9B77-4277-8BC2-190A229F1B2A_zps

I believe I stole the idea from Gr8terade.......

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#3 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

I believe you did....

48FD5F27-EFE0-479C-A38A-708664EB523D_zps

400CEBDE-02A4-426C-A223-3A9F11BE3F70_zps

The basket shelves work nicely for gloves

7FD229F9-ADF1-4EA0-BB8B-EE8F7959D64A_zps

#4 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

How do you guys deal with smell? I have a shelving unit also, and the drying rack I use is in the same room, and it just makes everything smell. I wear my stuff, then immediately sanitize it with Lysol to kill bacteria then hang it to dry, then put it in the shelving room, but I can't get away from the smell. Any tips?

#5 Moose

Moose

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Don't work so hard out there! My gear has been smelling better ever since I stopped really skating or doing anything on the ice. Lame joke aside, I hammer my gear with a linen scented febreeze. Probably not the best but it masks enough of the smell to be doable.

#6 Moose

Moose

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

i also toss in a dryer sheet or two in my gloves and skates and that seems to help a bit.

#7 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Been doing the dryer sheet trick for years, it's a great tip, but I gotta figure out how to get the smell out of everything else :(

I mask the smell just fine with the Lysol, but the wife can always smell the sweat and she hates it. There's gotta be something....

#8 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

I'll throw in my storage solution for good measure:

McuAUAV.jpg

Not as nice (or portable) as Gr8terade / shoeshine's set-up, but very economical.  Everything came from IKEA and probably cost me around $80-100 total.

#9 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:57 AM

That's quite solid, but where are your pants/protective?

#10 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

For the smell, grab one of those spray bottles from the dollar store and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Put 2 to 3 parts water and one part rubbing alcohol in the spray bottle and shake it then spray down the gear. None of my stuff ever smells or turns yellow - the stuff works a charm killing the bacteria and doesn't dry out the equipment. Your gear may smell a bit like a hospital but it's better than stinking up the place with hockey smell.

#11 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

That's quite solid, but where are your pants/protective?

I have a Rocket Dryer where I leave most of my actual gear hanging until the next skate.  I keep helmets in the bottom shelf of the left rack, and since I wear a girdle I have most of my shells on a skirt hanger next to the socks in the right rack.  The rest of my shells are in the bottom shelf of the right rack.

#12 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

For the smell, grab one of those spray bottles from the dollar store and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Put 2 to 3 parts water and one part rubbing alcohol in the spray bottle and shake it then spray down the gear. None of my stuff ever smells or turns yellow - the stuff works a charm killing the bacteria and doesn't dry out the equipment. Your gear may smell a bit like a hospital but it's better than stinking up the place with hockey smell.

Isn't it really bad to use rubbing alcohol on your equipment since it will then get on your skin after it dries? I'm willing to try this if it works for you though!

#13 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:54 PM

I keep a small fan under my drying rack so that gear dries out faster. sometimes the basement reeks but when I need to I just plug in an air freshener and it's better.

#14 griswald88

griswald88

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

I just left the same answer over on MSH but it doesn't hurt to repeat it over here:

I use a shelving system from Container Store called InterMetro:

https://www.containe...o-solutions/123

I have a shelf at the top where I keep helmets. originally the next shelf was about halfway down so that I could hang my pants (I had about 5 pair) but I've switched to girdle and shells so now it houses extra girdles and I stack the shells (I probably have about 40 shells at this point), under that is a basket shelf where I store some of my extra gloves. there is one more shelf at the bottom where I keep extra skates, skate dryers and extra elbow pads.

I keep it inside a Stor-Pod cover:

https://www.containe...ductId=11003789

this was especially useful when we were having some work done in the basement. we were able to roll the entire unit into the laundry room and zip it up to keep out dust from the work that was going on.

here's a pic from right after we finished the work on the basement. (this was when I still had pants) I forget how much the total unit was but it was worth every. single. penny.

B0F72AB1-9B77-4277-8BC2-190A229F1B2A_zps

I believe I stole the idea from Gr8terade.......

I believe you did....

48FD5F27-EFE0-479C-A38A-708664EB523D_zps

400CEBDE-02A4-426C-A223-3A9F11BE3F70_zps

The basket shelves work nicely for gloves

7FD229F9-ADF1-4EA0-BB8B-EE8F7959D64A_zps

Awesome! Just picked up 2...unfortunately i have to wait a month for the baskets.

#15 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

Awesome! Just picked up 2...unfortunately i have to wait a month for the baskets.

you do realize that they don't come with the TOTALLY AWESOME GEAR? ;)

#16 griswald88

griswald88

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

you do realize that they don't come with the TOTALLY AWESOME GEAR? ;)

Haha, yeah, a couple of you are absolute maniacs with all that gear! wear a new pair of gloves each shift?

#17 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:20 PM

The funny part from someone who owns almost 40 pairs....i wear the same 3-4 pairs in rotation pretty consistently. I don't know if it's the same with you guys, but I have my favorite pairs I stick with, and break out the others for pickup here and there for style points.

#18 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

Isn't it really bad to use rubbing alcohol on your equipment since it will then get on your skin after it dries? I'm willing to try this if it works for you though!

I've done this for at least 9 years and it's been great - never once had a problem. As long as you dilute it up, 3 parts water one part rubbing alcohol should work well if you have concerns, and let everything dry, you will be fine.

#19 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:30 PM

Delete

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#20 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:08 PM

Thought I'd bump this topic with an updated, more organized storage solution:

oePPyr2.jpg

All of the large bins contain individual team sets, including bags, lids, gloves, shells and jerseys.  The smaller bins on the right contain practice & game socks organized by color, and the smallest bins on the bottom right have all of my hardware & miscellaneous accessories (laces, etc).  All of my "interchangeable" gear (girdles, shins, elbows & shoulders) is kept in separate storage bins.