Photo

Steel and Profiling are you using?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:00 AM

I have Bauer 1x skates and I just put new LS3s in since my LS4s were starting to get low. I had these laying around so I thought I'd give them a try and I also like to have a back of pair of steel. The LS3s that are new have maybe 4-6 sharpenings on them. I played tonight and felt like I was skating on skies. Couldn't turn for shit. I also use a 1/2" cut. Last Year I rocked the 100/50 FBV. Just seems that I can't get my profile and edge to where I want it. I'm 215lbs. Should I go to a smaller hollow for sharping and maybe get a new pair of steel and get them profiled? How's the step steel?
Looking for:
Blackhawks Hawks HGTK 14” Gloves

#2 bluelinebully

bluelinebully
  • LocationMontco, PA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

I don't know that I'm going to be any help, because everyone's different, but figured I'd throw my experience in...

I went from the LS3s to the LS4s and have had them sharpened twice in the past ~8 months since I upgraded to the 1s. I usually play around once a week (not sure of your frequency) on 1/2" and am 200 lbs, so pretty close to you. I don't mess with different cuts or profiles - the regular 1/2" has always been my go to. I do tend to notice a little more chatter the longer I go between sharpening (which, in my understanding, should be the opposite), but no complaints other than that.

I think it's to be expected, but my LS3s lost their edge wayyyyyyy faster than the LS4s and I will never go back. I had a game tonight and lost an edge on a super tight turn, so it may be time to get them redone, but going this long on the same sharpen is pretty good imo. When I skated on the LS3s, I thought about trying some new steel because I wasn't a fan of how often I need to get them sharpened and how high I had to be to turn on them, but that thought quickly went away as soon as I upgraded.
Max steez.

I know a lot more than you about collecting bud, so save the shit

#3 - M

- M

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:56 AM

The profile on your LS4 steel was probably rounded after all those sharpenings.  It also had a more user friendly toe and heel profile out of the box.  I've had to grind down the toe and heels for a number of LS3 users.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#4 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

I have Bauer 1x skates and I just put new LS3s in since my LS4s were starting to get low. I had these laying around so I thought I'd give them a try and I also like to have a back of pair of steel. The LS3s that are new have maybe 4-6 sharpenings on them. I played tonight and felt like I was skating on skies. Couldn't turn for shit. I also use a 1/2" cut. Last Year I rocked the 100/50 FBV. Just seems that I can't get my profile and edge to where I want it. I'm 215lbs. Should I go to a smaller hollow for sharping and maybe get a new pair of steel and get them profiled? How's the step steel?

What you're feeling is the fresh 10ft radius. You're old Runners are inevitably worn down to a smaller and smaller radius over the course of the sharpenings due to the heel and toe naturally experiencing more pressure from the sharpener.

When you go from that to a new 10 ft it's night and day, two things happened for me, either you can turn, or you're toe picking when accelerating. First thing I'd try is before the next sharpening havensomekne bat knows what they're doing shave/round the heel of you can't turn, and/or shave the toes if you're picking. The shaved heels will probably help a lot but if that's still too flat go down to a 9ft radius. I've experienced this on LS3, LS4 and step, just got to get it contoured and shaved a bit.

On the other hand don't have them shave too much off or shave it flat. Just a little and a nice rounding in the heel does a lot. Hope this helps.

IG: Fooj Media

#5 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

On a side note LS3. and step come at 10ft
LS2 comes Stock at 9 ft
Cobra at 11

Edit: checking my facts on LS4

#6 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:05 AM

The profile on your LS4 steel was probably rounded after all those sharpenings. It also had a more user friendly toe and heel profile out of the box. I've had to grind down the toe and heels for a number of LS3 users.

I was under the impression LS4 came Stock at 10ft?

#7 - M

- M

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

I was under the impression LS4 came Stock at 10ft?

LS3 and LS4 both have a 10' radius.

#8 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Gotcha thanks guys. What sharpening hollow are you guys going with?
Looking for:

#9 - M

- M

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

I'm running 5/8".  I've shaved the toe profile down a little bit otherwise stock 10' radius. 

Just play around with your hollows until you find something you like.  I always recommend people to go as shallow as they're comfortable with.  Start moving in 1/16" or 1/8" increments.

#10 Gordo

Gordo

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

I'm running 5/8". I've shaved the toe profile down a little bit otherwise stock 10' radius.

Just play around with your hollows until you find something you like. I always recommend people to go as shallow as they're comfortable with. Start moving in 1/16" or 1/8" increments.

What he said, 5/8 is perfect only if the guy sharpening your skates knows how to sharpen properly edges need to be squared up none of this done by eye shit, I know what I'm doing they tell you. Properly squared gives you the perfect glide and the edging will be there when you need it. IMO

#11 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:40 AM

I use 5/8" and a 10ft radius as well. After playing around with a bunch of options, I find it to be the best for me. I agree with the above, keep trying around until you find what works for you.

#12 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

I toile between 9/16th and 5/8s depending on how my days going lol

#13 bluelinebully

bluelinebully
  • LocationMontco, PA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

Do you guys think the biggest hurdle in finding your "perfect" cut is consistency?  I always felt that I got a different ride on the same sharpen depending on who did it.  The pro shop at my rink is usually staffed by a new teenager every time I go in, so I know that has a lot to do with the inconsistent feel.

For that reason, I thought about picking up one of the Sparx machines since they look the most user friendly.  I couldn't justify the price for just myself, but now that one of my kids is starting out, I think I can convince the wife to make it happen.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I know I've seen a few people with their own traditional sharpener, but I don't know that I want to get into something like that.

Max steez.

I know a lot more than you about collecting bud, so save the shit

#14 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

Do you guys think the biggest hurdle in finding your "perfect" cut is consistency?  I always felt that I got a different ride on the same sharpen depending on who did it.  The pro shop at my rink is usually staffed by a new teenager every time I go in, so I know that has a lot to do with the inconsistent feel.

For that reason, I thought about picking up one of the Sparx machines since they look the most user friendly.  I couldn't justify the price for just myself, but now that one of my kids is starting out, I think I can convince the wife to make it happen.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I know I've seen a few people with their own traditional sharpener, but I don't know that I want to get into something like th

Ive herd there are issues with it changing your profile when it sharpens.

If youre remotely interested in sharpening I would highly recommend the Blademaster 850, super easy set up, great price and it comes with a free Jig and all the accessories you need.  It will last as well.  I went with the $3K+ unit but realized that I could have been more than fine with this the 850 and saved a lot. 

Theres a little learning curve but youll get the hang of it with some practice, saves a lot of planning and gas having to figure out when/how to get to the hockey shop.

edit: the 850 is $995 and includes a Jig, extra wheel, gusto and level.

All other BM units exclude the jig and accessories.  Its an amazing deal

#15 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

If you ever have any doubts about your sharpening, do two things.

1) check the finish yourself. It should be a smooth, mirror-like finish with now lines, scales, or burns in it. If any of those are present, ask them to do another couple passes plus a finishing pass, depending on how severe the issues are.

2) ask them to show you the level on the front and back of the blades. If they have a Blackstone Butterfly Gauge, make sure the bar is even on the scale. If it is off by one small line, you wouldn't notice it but if it's off by 3+ lines, that shouldn't be acceptable.

#16 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

I took them to my local shop and had the LS3s that are new matched up to where I like my LS4 radius. I had them shave down the toe and the heel. I actually for the first time going to try 3/4" hollow. I'll see how that works. We have softer ice around my area so I'll let you all know how it goes. I've gone from the flat bottom V 100/50 which i was happy with but I got persuaded to try 3/4".
Looking for:

#17 - M

- M

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:56 AM

What he said, 5/8 is perfect only if the guy sharpening your skates knows how to sharpen properly edges need to be squared up none of this done by eye shit, I know what I'm doing they tell you. Properly squared gives you the perfect glide and the edging will be there when you need it. IMO

I tell people the same thing.  Imagine building a house but eyeballing all the measurements instead of using a tape measure.  Even the most skilled tradesmen will be off.  I feel the same way about skate sharpeners.  No matter how skilled they are, eyeballing it will never be as precise as an edge checker.

For that reason, I thought about picking up one of the Sparx machines since they look the most user friendly.  I couldn't justify the price for just myself, but now that one of my kids is starting out, I think I can convince the wife to make it happen.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I know I've seen a few people with their own traditional sharpener, but I don't know that I want to get into something like that.

I'd still choose a Blademaster over a Sparx machine.  Once you understand the basic mechanics of sharpening and have the right tools, getting square edges is easy.  Applying steady pressure and producing a good finishing pass takes more practice.

Ive herd there are issues with it changing your profile when it sharpens.

If youre remotely interested in sharpening I would highly recommend the Blademaster 850, super easy set up, great price and it comes with a free Jig and all the accessories you need.  It will last as well.  I went with the $3K+ unit but realized that I could have been more than fine with this the 850 and saved a lot. 

Theres a little learning curve but youll get the hang of it with some practice, saves a lot of planning and gas having to figure out when/how to get to the hockey shop.

edit: the 850 is $995 and includes a Jig, extra wheel, gusto and level.

All other BM units exclude the jig and accessories.  Its an amazing deal

I never got the extra wheel, gusto or level when I bought my 850!

If you ever have any doubts about your sharpening, do two things.

1) check the finish yourself. It should be a smooth, mirror-like finish with now lines, scales, or burns in it. If any of those are present, ask them to do another couple passes plus a finishing pass, depending on how severe the issues are.

2) ask them to show you the level on the front and back of the blades. If they have a Blackstone Butterfly Gauge, make sure the bar is even on the scale. If it is off by one small line, you wouldn't notice it but if it's off by 3+ lines, that shouldn't be acceptable.

If your skates have any of the issues that you mentioned in #1, I'd be reluctant to even let that sharpener touch my skates again.

As for the gauges, I still believe the Blademaster BR100 is the best on the market.  It's calibrated to work with all of the click-style holders and getting square edges has never been easier.

#18 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

I tell people the same thing.  Imagine building a house but eyeballing all the measurements instead of using a tape measure.  Even the most skilled tradesmen will be off.  I feel the same way about skate sharpeners.  No matter how skilled they are, eyeballing it will never be as precise as an edge checker.

I'd still choose a Blademaster over a Sparx machine.  Once you understand the basic mechanics of sharpening and have the right tools, getting square edges is easy.  Applying steady pressure and producing a good finishing pass takes more practice.

I never got the extra wheel, gusto or level when I bought my 850!

If your skates have any of the issues that you mentioned in #1, I'd be reluctant to even let that sharpener touch my skates again.

As for the gauges, I still believe the Blademaster BR100 is the best on the market.  It's calibrated to work with all of the click-style holders and getting square edges has never been easier.

on the subject of the BR100, do you ever feel that the magnet piece can be inaccurate? even when I make sure there is no dust/build up I can lay it leaning left, center or right on the same spot.  For the past couple years I have been using the non magnetized side and applying finger pressure

#19 - M

- M

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

on the subject of the BR100, do you ever feel that the magnet piece can be inaccurate? even when I make sure there is no dust/build up I can lay it leaning left, center or right on the same spot.  For the past couple years I have been using the non magnetized side and applying finger pressure

As long as you give the blade a quick wipe to get rid of any metal shavings before applying the magnetic angle.  The only other time I've had inaccurate readings was when the angle was scoured because nobody put a piece of electrical tape to protect it.  In that situation I used the same technique as you with finger pressure on the non-magnetic side.  I later fixed it by cutting a small strip of fridge magnet and taping it over the scoured area.

#20 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

As long as you give the blade a quick wipe to get rid of any metal shavings before applying the magnetic angle.  The only other time I've had inaccurate readings was when the angle was scoured because nobody put a piece of electrical tape to protect it.  In that situation I used the same technique as you with finger pressure on the non-magnetic side.  I later fixed it by cutting a small strip of fridge magnet and taping it over the scoured area.

Ive tried the electrical tape since when it was new and I feel like its made it more inaccurate, I can make it look off 2 lines to the left, right or look exactly even.  I was having to measure each spot 6 times to get an average.  It was so frustrating.  Ive been using the finger pressure for the past couple years