Photo

Steel and Profiling are you using?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:03 PM

Can the quad zero profile be done at most pro shop?!
Thanks

I believe only shops with a Prosharp machine will be able to utilize the pro sharp quad zero template. Not sure if other companies offer similar templates. 

#42 Joron

Joron

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

Ok thanks!!

#43 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Currently using Tydan steel.  DO NOT try them.  They'll sell you all thier marketing nonsense until they're blue in the face.  Fact of the matter is the steel DOES NOT perform well.  They claim their DLC coating combined with their "maximum edge" sharpening system will let you go a long time between sharpenings.  Thats what sold me.  Unfortunately I have to sharpen my skates after EVERY skate.  Never in my life have I had such terrible nicks in my steel after every skate. I also paid for a 9' profile and sharpening. They did not profile the steel at all (my buddy ordered the same day and did not pay for profiling. Both of our steel was identical in profile). And I have an edge checker and the edges were as uneven as a ski slope.  When I got in touch with them about the poor performance of their steel, they kept giving me lame duck answers. "Well I've never heard of that happening before." Or "with our patented Maximum Edge System, problems like that shouldn't occur."  Well they did.

I am currently waiting for Step Steel Blacksteel to be delivered next week. Only reason I left step in the first place was because I was able to custom engrave the Tydan steel.

I also currently skate on a 9/16" hollow.  I liked 5/8", but I feel like my acceleration is a lot better with 9/16".  I use the Sparx and I love it.

#44 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

I believe only shops with a Prosharp machine will be able to utilize the pro sharp quad zero template. Not sure if other companies offer similar templates.

That is correct, any other machines touch them after they are profiled and you lose the profile.

#45 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

Finally got my step steel Black Steel in.  They might as well call it Valryian Steel.  I originally wanted to get it profiled to my match my old steel, but I haven't been able to yet.  So I skated on them as they came, and they were awesome.  Felt great for my skating style.  And unlike the Tydan steel, I did not get an nicks from the session. Sharpened to 9/16 on Sparx.

#46 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Finally got my step steel Black Steel in.  They might as well call it Valryian Steel.  I originally wanted to get it profiled to my match my old steel, but I haven't been able to yet.  So I skated on them as they came, and they were awesome.  Felt great for my skating style.  And unlike the Tydan steel, I did not get an nicks from the session. Sharpened to 9/16 on Sparx.

I've been on my Step Black for about 5 or 6 games now and love them.  I was worried at first I might need to profile them since I was coming from the stock LS1 steel on my Edge holders which were 9', but after a few minutes I adjusted without issue and fell in love with the Step Steel.  I had mine sharpened to 5/8".

- Jon

#47 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

I just got black step put on today and I'm extremely pumped to try them. I didn't profile them yet, I wanna see what the initial feel is. It's almost a sin to use these, they're so nice looking and shiny lol

#48 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

I know this is an old thread but finally got some step steel put in my Super Tacks replacing stock black steel. Wow what a difference as the stock steel was a whole lot shorter to begin with. Step steel is almost double the height which makes tight turns so much easier. I came off Tuuks with ls3 before that so this is more like it! Profiled to a Quad Zero and 5/8ths, just right. For anyone with CCMs thinking about making a switch to Step Steel it is a game changer.

#49 DeweysDoughnuts

DeweysDoughnuts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

Just ordered a set of Tydan blades I'll be running a quad .5 profile on and a 5/8 ROH, will give some feedback on this once I try them out

#50 FP12

FP12
  • LocationMontreal Area

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

I had Step put on my RBZ's and have 6 ice times with them.  I didn't get them profiled, wanted to see how they were out of the box,  just had my normal 3/4 sharpening done.

I was surprised that I didn't have any issues with the profile after about 3 turns & a few pivots to test them.  Only being on taller blades affected my puck handling the first session,  was OK afterward.    I have the CCM steel as back up now,  but don't think I'll be changing back.

#51 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:18 PM

Just ordered a set of Tydan blades I'll be running a quad .5 profile on and a 5/8 ROH, will give some feedback on this once I try them out

How do you define the quad .5??? Is that a quad 0 or 1 with a .5 greater forward pitch? Never heard of this setting and we've been using the pro sharp for 3+ years

#52 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

I have two sets of Step Black Steel in my 1S skates, didn’t profile, 95/75 FBV. Went to 1/2 for a couple skates, was OK, but back to FBV.

#53 DeweysDoughnuts

DeweysDoughnuts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

How do you define the quad .5??? Is that a quad 0 or 1 with a .5 greater forward pitch? Never heard of this setting and we've been using the pro sharp for 3+ years

It's a new template that pro sharp came out with thats in-between a quad 1 and 2

I think the radius are 8, 10, 12,14