Photo

Pro Stock Practice Jersey Crest Removal - Experiences & Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:59 AM

While looking through the gear wanted thread, it's pretty clear that a lot of us are interested in uncrested practice jerseys. I've tried removing team crests from several different practice jerseys with varying success. Some came off clean with no glue residue and others were impossible to get off without destroying the jersey.

My theory is that Reebok doesn't apply the crests at the factory. I think that most teams get blanks from Reebok and have their customizers crest them. I believe that this is what the Bruins do through Custom Crafted. I suspect different customizers use varying adhesives to tack the crest in place before they stitch them on.

I'm hoping that anyone that has risked doing this can chime in on which team's crests come off fairly easily with no glue residue and what method was used to do so. I want to narrow down which team jerseys I buy before I waste any more time and money attempting this.

My experiences:

Jerseys attempted:
Bruins Edge 3.0 - impossible to get off cleanly. Don't even try.
P-Bruins Edge 2.0 - came off easily with hardly any residue. Was able to pick the residue off.
Springfield Falcons Edge 2.0 - lots of residue around the edge where the crest was. Couldn't get it off.
OK City Barons Edge 2.0 - some residue around the edges, but got it off after a lot of work.

Methods to fight glue:

Heat (iron, hair dryer, steamer) - minimal success. Steamer was probably the best.
Goof-Off - didn't work.
Goo-Gone - didn't work.
Acetone - bad idea.
Carefully picking and scraping - pills the Jersey a bit and is a horribly long a painful process, but works when combined with heat.

Looking for new CCM HPTK pants - Black - Size XL

#2 Kevin52597

Kevin52597
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:17 AM

Bruins 3.0 off meigray came off easily for me.
Dallas 3.0 came off easy as well.
Colombus 3.0 did not work at all, jersey place wouldn't even attempt it they said it would ruin the jersey

#3 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:41 AM

I've burned tons of $$$ and destroyed 3-4 3.0 practice jerseys trying to remove crests without a positive result. Originally one of my plans was to obtain and have a practice jersey in leafs or marlies in all the weird colors they don't use like orange, Kelly green, teal etc.

The ones that didn't work for me were capitals, islanders, leafs, La Kings and Dallas. I've heard a couple people get lucky with caps, but I was not one of them, it turned out like hot garbage.

The only ones that were successful were the 2.0 practice jerseys. I was able to remove a marlies crest to install on a green 2.0 where I had removed a Calgary crest pretty cleanly. The Calgary jersey was a 2.0 Kelly green which still had light glue after removal. I then used goo gone to get rid of the soft glue. Then I had to wash the jersey about 4-5 times to get the smell of goo gone out as it really sticks to fabric.

I've heard of some people using some harsh chemicals to try to remove the glue but unfortunately I must save the brain cells I have remaining.

As some of you remember a couple years ago I had a large amount of blank 3.0's in white with royal highlights and some with red highlights and purple ones too. The more I look back at it the more I realize how rare it was to have been able to acquire those. As I have never encountered such a situation like that again.

Through the many contacts that I've had the chance of dealing with and talking to I will have to say that you are wrong to assume that the teams get blanks and they crest it themselves. All the work is done by reebok or ccm. Teams put in an order and they get manufactured and crested then sent to the teams from what I've seen.

My advice for those of you who want blank praccys is your worst case scenario is that you've totaled the jersey and you're out $100 bucks roughly and some brain cells. So if you're ok with that then go nuts.

I won't lie though, the high/satisfaction from making a jersey that is unique (I.e. Kelly green marlies 2.0 praccy jersey / purple leafs 56 3.0 purple practice) is pretty awesome. Knowing that what you made is rare or a one off is pretty dope. Then when you find the matching socks for the kit, it's over. You are the freshest cat on the ice.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#4 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

I think it's hit and miss with easily removing crests. I had and isles and bruins that came off easily, but a Dallas and Washington that left tons of residue behind.

You just have to get lucky.

#5 afrozenpond

afrozenpond
  • LocationUtica, NY

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

My greatest success came with a Pittsburgh 3.0 practice jersey that was never worn. Maybe the multiple washings and dryings solidify the glue even more.

#6 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Bruins 3.0 - Easy breezy.  Required nothing more than me unstitching it and peeling it off.  Very light adhesive was applied near the perimeter, and it left no residue.

Hurricanes 3.0 - Logo shaped glue residue that would not come off.  Wasn't horrible as it was on a white jersey, but it didn't look great either.  Was going to put a different crest on it, but ultimately sold it.

#7 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

My greatest success came with a Pittsburgh 3.0 practice jersey that was never worn. Maybe the multiple washings and dryings solidify the glue even more.

I've had the exact opposite experience with a new unwashed Pitt. Then again the well washed one was worse but the new one wasn't friendly at all lol

IG: Fooj Media

#8 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

IG: Fooj Media

#9 Wanz32

Wanz32
  • LocationKelowna

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Had a grey ducks 3.0, un-stitched and the logo pealed right off without heat or anything. It was like a sticker. Only thing left on the jersey was the outlined where it was stitched. New logo covered that up no problem. 

- Always looking for new style stars gear, particularly Bauer! 

#10 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Caps white 3.0 practice jersey was a joke trying to remove the logo. Black oilers 3.0 was cake for some reason

#11 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

Caps white 3.0 practice jersey was a joke trying to remove the logo. Black oilers 3.0 was cake for some reason

This was the worst one I tried to remove out of all of them. I read that someone did do it successfully and cleanly on here but through my experience I'd say they lied or were really lucky.

#12 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

This was the worst one I tried to remove out of all of them. I read that someone did do it successfully and cleanly on here but through my experience I'd say they lied or were really lucky.

The excessive strength of adhesive used on the back the caps logo is unreal. I felt so defeated. Lol

#13 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

I had a 1.0 CBJ, came off pretty clean aside from the stitching. Glue wasn't an issue.

#14 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

It seems like there's a trend here. The older 1.0/2.0 seems to have a better chance at crest removal and the 3.0's seem to have the worst glue for the crests they use to iron on.

With the older crests on my Calgary and marlies it seems to have had the same glue as on the back of the NHL collar shield where it sticks but is still tacky when removed leaving some residue sometimes. But the glue on the new crests is like gorilla glue.

#15 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

I've crested and de-crested about 50 jerseys over the last few years.

2.0's:

-NHL 2.0's, regardless of team, have always been the easiest for me. They have a little bit of adhesive, but a tooth brush, some goof off, and elbow grease + a wash gets the residue right off.

-I've had mixed results with AHL 2.0's; some had a super glue like adhesive on the edges, some of them had the cement-like adhesive found on the 3.0's, and some have had no glue at all. I've ruined two AHL 2.0's that were completely glued down. 

3.0's:

-I've had great results from a few Michigan 3.0 crests that weren't glued, but had a little bit of iron-on backing that came right off with minimal to no residue.

-A Pens 3.0 crest came off with no glue or any sort of resistance at all.

-An Oilers 3.0 crest came off with a garment steamer and some time.

-The rest of of the NHL 3.0's I've attempted were a lost cause, so I gave up and re-stitched them. 

Overall, the best and easiest ones to de-crest are the NHL 2.0's from the 2008-2009 era.

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#16 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Really starting to sound like luck of the draw. Wish there was a way to get them right from Maska Sports.

#17 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Anyone ever try to remove a flyers crest off a 3.0 and had any luck?

#18 bluelinebully

bluelinebully
  • LocationMontco, PA

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Anyone ever try to remove a flyers crest off a 3.0 and had any luck?

Don't even try, they're LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE.  I will take it off your hands if you'd like.  :LOL:  :LOL:

Max steez.

I know a lot more than you about collecting bud, so save the shit

#19 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Got a white Canes 3.0 pretty cheap, so I'm trying again. As per usual, I've run into the cement like glue again. Couldn't really loosen it up with any chemicals and wound up ripping the back of the crest trying to peel it up. Now the crest is off, but anywhere there was glue, I'm left with a thin layer of material from the back of the crest. I can scrape off the thin outline all around where the crest was sewn no problem. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on the larger section in the middle. Anyone know how to combat that stuff?

#20 Jhui

Jhui

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

was looking at this the other day. thinking about ordering some to try

http://m.homedepot.c...94325/100271088