Photo

Best Skate for Ankle Comfort?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

First, let me say I am not a very good skater, and I typically end up skating on my inside edge.  Because of this, the boot rubs on the outside my ankle and cuts into my skin.  I typically wad up some gauze and tape it to my ankle to protect it.  I am currently in CCM Pro Tacks, but now that my adult league hockey season is over, I am looking to switch to something more comfortable.  I haven't had this issue in any other skates that I used.  I started of in a CCM Vector, then went to a Bauer Supreme.  I like the aggressiveness of the CCM's, but the Tacks we not the most comfortable, I actually found the Vectors to very comfortable and aggressive.   The Bauers were comfortable, but I felt slow in them, and I am a slow skater anyway.

Now, I know I could just learn to skate better, but the odds are, I doubt my almost 40 year old body will improve much - plus, it's just adult hockey. Thanks for any advice!

#2 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

I assume your skates rub on your ankles on top, where on Bauer models you'd have the "comfort edge" (and the same with another name for other brands), correct?

I'd say this is probably from your motion when you flex forwards in your skate (which you want to a certain degree), rather than your foot moving up or down (missing ankle lock which you don't want). The most "extreme" case of this is what a lot of people had in their Easton Mako skates, the "mako bump" (you can find loads of pics on MSH). The two most common fixes I've seen so far:

* Ankle sleeves (my preferred solution)

* Spot-heating the top ankle of the skate and rolling it outwards to reduce the "edge"

#3 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

I looked at pictures of the "mako bump" and that is the exact place I get cuts on my ankle, so this would be the problem.  The comfort edge on the Bauers would also probably explain why this didn't happen when I was skating with them.

So this leads me back to my question of what is the best skate for comfort while still being an aggressive skate.

#4 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I've heard that the Nexus Line of skates is extremely comfortable.

Also, I don't mean to preach but just add my opinion. A little work can go a long way, and you definitely CAN improve your skating, which I'd recommend. I'd say that from my experience probably 95% of injuries I've seen in men's league is because one of the guys is not a very strong skater, and the last thing you want to do is hurt your ankles/groin/back from not using good mechanics.

#5 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

Have you tried the 50K skates?

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#6 spudrock512

spudrock512
  • LocationCentral Texas

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

I haven't Dupes. I have only used these skates:
CCM Vector - I like these a lot. Comfortable and felt fast in them. Sold because I wanted a newer model of skate.
Bauer Supreme - comfortable, but felt slow in them.
CCM Tack Pro - like the aggressiveness, but hurt my ankles and I get the "Mako Bump".
How would the 50K work in comparison?

#7 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Have you tried different inserts? Some times people pronate or supinate causing problems leaning on one side

#8 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Exactly my thoughts. Start from the ground up. I sell ski boots and in most cases proper support under the foot takes care of a lot of sore ankle issues along with proper fitting. If you find a comfortable boot you can always have steel profiled to address pitch issue. Start with the comfort part of the equation