Photo

Step Steel

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:26 AM

I started this topic to get the thoughts and reviews of people who used STEP steel and to share my experiences as i've seen people on the forum ask about them so hopefully this is helpful.

First time i had step steel was way back on the first APX skate as my craptacular Fusion steel broke and I was looking for a replacement when a friend recommended step steel. I did some research and ended up going with normal Step steel. Stuff was awesome compared to fusion

Then picked up Apx2 a year or so later, was pretty bummed about not being able to use step but loved the fact that you could swap blades quickly so i could have extra sets on hand. I was stuck with the ls2 or ls3 that came with the skates, can't remember what it was. Either way i noticed a drop off in performance right away but just learned to deal with it.

Fast forward to last november (now in 1x's), Step steel for the lightspeed holder was released which made me want to get my hands on it ASAP because I was waiting forever for Step to produce these as they had copyright issues. Got my hands on 3 sets of black to replace the 3 sets of LS4 being used at the time, go big or go home, right?

Decided to do the following experiment: Step Steel Black vs Bauer Ls4 steel.

- hours were logged on each steel until they were too blunt to use
- the pattern was 1.5hrs/oudoor rink, 2hrs/indoor rinse and repeat. (i'm in toronto so we get outdoor rinks that are free, but keep in mind steel gets wrecked on outdoor ice way easier than indoor) and was skating 3-4 times a week so this is why it just doesn't incorporate indoor hours only.
- skates are sharpened to 100/75 FBV because I love the bite from sharp skates, also works well with my height and weight
- to keep factors constant all 6 sets (3 LS4 and 3 Step Black) were sharpened at once. It was done by a friend that is very skilled at sharpening, he's the only person that ever sharpens my skate and knows how I want them, kinda like having your own personal EQ guy for skates except that you have to pay for it :)

1) Edgework - Stops and starts with the Step steel definitely felt more steady, stable and dug into the ice better. Also felt more stable on higher speed crossovers and turns with step steel than LS4. When I was on STEP for the first few sessions, a couple of my friends mentioned that i looked way more confident flying around the ice, they didn't even know anything about me switching blades. I'm guessing it was true because the step steel seemed to have a more consistent/constant bite overall which made me more confident in doing certain maneuvers. Winner: STEP STEEL

2) Durability - My first session out with them I was so excited, was getting ready to step onto the ice when my blade slipped between the crack in the rubber mats and hit the concrete. Was like great, now I have to change out this set cause i've probably done some damage. Went for a quick skate and everything was fine. I've done this before with LS4 and it's always made me lose an edge. I've taken trauma to LS4's either from sticks, skates or boards and it doesn't hold up anywhere near Step steel. Ls4 after trauma would leave me with blown tires on the ice. I've seen the same trauma on my step blades but they still work really well somehow and kept me feeling like i was on rails which was absolutely incredible. Winner: STEP STEEL

3) Lifespan of sharpen - I guess it ties into durability as well but i didn't want to have a big block of text. For LS4 I got 3 hours of outdoor plus 3-4 hours of indoor before i had to switch out. With Step steel i averaged 6 hours of outdoor plus 8-9 hours of indoor ice before i switched out, sometimes i was able to achieve a little more. Basically was able to double the lifespan of a sharpen. Even now I'm amazed at how well my steel has been holding an edge as i'm definitely switching out steel way less than LS4. Now i'm just skating indoor so i expect it to last even longer. Winner: STEP STEEL

4) Price - This is a hard comparison as LS4 is cheaper than Step steel black but if you were to compare it to fusion which is bauer's top steel they're the same price roughly, but everyone knows fusion is garbage. Another factor is you save a lot of money on sharpening over the lifespan of the Step steel blade as it doubles my on ice time before having to switch out to another pair. So you can decide on this one.

5) Appearance - Step black looks way cooler :) Winner: Step Steel

Notes:
- It should be noted that Step steel black is made of a higher grade of steel than LS4 and is also coated with carbon nano particles which definitely influences all the factors above.
- your first session on them will be a little weird and will take a little time to get use to as the profile is different from what you're using but it took me a few sessions to be good to go at full throttle
- Had to get new Tuuk Lightspeeds installed. When using LS4, was switching out every week to week and a half so i'm guessing it wore out the holder a bit as when I installed brand new Step steel black there was play between the runner and holder. What's another $90 when you spent $500 on steel right? After new Tuuk's it addressed this problem, out of people I know that are using step, I was the only one that needed new holders.
- Now many of my friends use Step cause I recommended it to them, 6-7 of them ended up buying Step steel black and swear they can't use anything else. Once you go Step you never go back I guess.

Important when sharpening:
- Never use a stone on these blades. Whenever you bring them into a shop make sure they know not to stone it, can't stress this enough.
- Use leather on a pad as a "stone" if needed
- don't add any finishing oils as this steel does not require it

I would definitely highly recommended if you're thinking about it, there's a reason why so many pros use it for sure.

If you use step currently what are your experiences?

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#2 jordanm

jordanm
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

I went from LS4 to LS3 coated by Tydan to Black Step steel. hands down no comparison. was able to see the differences the second I stepped on the ice. and due to the edge system and the engraving I was able to get. I picked up 3 sets and have been rotating them through. Couldn't be happier 

MIC Franchise gloves for sale? PM me!
@myfriendmonty

https://www.instagra...m/jordanmoffat/

#3 lps02

lps02

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

How much are the Black step? I was considering buying the tydan coated LS3 but seen some member here getting some.

#4 kevboy555

kevboy555

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:18 PM

I also went from LS4 to Black Step Steel on my 1N's, and haven't looked back. I agree with every point made, it was definitely worth the investment. They also have to be the reason I went from averaging about .75 points per game to about 1.5 points per game in the Step Steel, right? If you can get your hands on a set, I would definitely do it !!

#5 darkhors

darkhors
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

How much are the Black step? I was considering buying the tydan coated LS3 but seen some member here getting some.

I believe it's around $120-130 USD.

#6 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

has anyone been able to compare Step black to black edge?

IG: Fooj Media

#7 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, I've tried both the black Step and Blackedge. The black Step is a notch above IMO. The coating seems better (thicker?) and certainly more durable, plus the actual Step steel (under the coating) is harder and better quality as well.

#8 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

I found a source who has some Step Edge Blacksteel instock. If anyone is interested I am willing to proxy them for you. PM me

#9 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Got to say I'm loving the Step blacksteel. It's been a while since I've used coated steel, since I switched to VH w/ LS edge but these are better than I remember. Unreal glide

#10 HabsFan76

HabsFan76
  • LocationHome of the Habs

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

This is a great review :)

- skates are sharpened to 100/75 FBV because I love the bite from sharp skates, also works well with my height and weight

Is height/weight a factor when selecting black Step Steel ? 

#11 jordanm

jordanm
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

as in your own height and weight? then no, neither of those are factors in selecting Black step steel

MIC Franchise gloves for sale? PM me!
@myfriendmonty

https://www.instagra...m/jordanmoffat/

#12 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

This is a great review :)

When I suggested height/weight factor it was more or less referring to my sharpening. Basically I like sharp skates because of the way I play and works well for my weight.

Generally heavier guys don't need a super sharp blade because their weight digs into the ice well. I don't have that weight so I need sharp blade

#13 HabsFan76

HabsFan76
  • LocationHome of the Habs

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:01 AM

I currently have Fusion steel on my MX3s and got my skates profiled and have a 11' radius sharpened to 5/8. If I were to get the Step Steel Black would it be advisable to get the same profile and sharpening?  Would the new steel feel more or less the same as my old steel or would I have to get used to the added height?

#14 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

I would stay the same and see how it feels. Some people could prefer slightly less hollow as the black Edge steel feels a touch sharper due to the finish, but most would stay the same.

Huge jump in coefficientcy I find with the Step Black Steel, especially compared to stock Bauer steel.

#15 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

Try using for 4-5 times without profile and see what you think. If you're not happy then get them profiled.

When I switched over my skating was all weird, the same pressure points and pushes you have are a little off. After about 3-4 sessions your body learns the profile better as you figure out how to use it.

What I did when I first got them was I attended a public shinny late night on a weekday where I knew attendance was sparse. Then I went and skated to try to learn the new steel. A couple sessions of this and I was fine.

#16 TokenGoon

TokenGoon
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:32 AM

has anyone been able to compare Step black to black edge?

What is black edge? Their website only lists BLACKSTEEL, V-STEEL & STEPSTEEL?

Damn, those are some sharp blades you use. How much you weight?
I like mine quite sharp too but thats seems extreme

#17 crabby

crabby
  • LocationAustria

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:42 AM

What is black edge?

http://blackedgerunner.com/en/

LF
CCM TACKS 80 flex LH Kreps
Purple or green gloves
purple practice jersey

#18 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

Blackedge were one of the first companies to bring the DLC technology to retail blades. Unfortunately the steel is similar hardness to stock Bauer (Step is way better IMO) and their coating is thin and gets scratched off easily. Step black steel is a much better quality steel and coating for my experience.

#19 JoeT

JoeT

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

I was sick of getting my skates sharpened. Only reason I got black steel was because they look cool and can hold an edge longer. I was in ls4 previously.

The video below made it easy to switch.

https://youtu.be/tHA4f2G4JTI

#20 BigCy76

BigCy76
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

I was sick of getting my skates sharpened. Only reason I got black steel was because they look cool and can hold an edge longer. I was in ls4 previously.

The video below made it easy to switch.

https://youtu.be/tHA4f2G4JTI

I would like to submit this pic as a vote for Blackedge

s-l500.jpg

If you're considering selling off anything Bruins, CONTACT ME FIRST !!!

Feedback