Photo

Elbow Pad Decisions

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

If they were the same price, would you go with new CCM 19k pro elbows, or CCM Tacks Pro Stock elbows? I hear the 19k's are the top of the line. What makes them so? I'm not well versed in the elbow pad world, and want to upgrade from my retail nexus elbows.

#2 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

I wouldnt go with any of those, go with retail, lighter and less bulky. Unless the tacks "pro stock" are the same as retail then go with those.

Im in retail warrior xlts for the past 3 seasons after jumping around with the pro stock elbows and I couldnt be happier.

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#3 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Agreed with Ian... unless you're playing high level hockey with a lot of hacking and hitting its not really worth it. I spent 20$ on Nexus 4000 elbows and couldn't be happier. Light, not bulky and and protect me enough for the hockey I play. Just my opinion though

#4 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Agreed with Ian... unless you're playing high level hockey with a lot of hacking and hitting its not really worth it. I spent 20$ on Nexus 4000 elbows and couldn't be happier. Light, not bulky and and protect me enough for the hockey I play. Just my opinion though

Agreed, I used entry/mid level elbows and shoulders. Much lighter and more mobile.

Only thing i make sure is top tier is mitts, wheels, stick, and shins. It's fine if you're not playing high level.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#5 bluelinebully

bluelinebully
  • LocationMontco, PA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

Are you sure you retail guys are supposed to be on here?  :dunno:  :LOL:  :rofl:

Max steez.

I know a lot more than you about collecting bud, so save the shit

#6 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

Are you sure you retail guys are supposed to be on here?  :dunno:  :LOL:  :rofl:

Hahhahhaha... in the end, only matters what everyone else can see  :evil:

#7 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:01 AM

I like protection, you don't have to get hit to fall on your elbow or take a stick or shot on your forearm. the 19k's & tacks pro stocks would be a great choices. also top of the line retails are great too. warrior AX1'S have great protection. top of the line pairs & pro stocks have the best HD foams & more thicker poly inserts. I wear jofa 8044 & 9044's & love them. been thinking about , getting a pair of 19k's.

#8 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

Any Jofa remake is bomb proof when you fall on them, but I just went from 7ks to quicklites and the improved weight, mobility and grip is amazing. Best elbow pad I've ever had........maybe get some pro Stock RBZs to get the best of both worlds. Same pad as the retail

IG: Fooj Media

#9 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:22 AM

It's what's on the outside that counts.

Same rules apply to chicks.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#10 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:20 AM

I have been in the (retail, I know) STX Surgeon 500s for over a year. They are noticeably heavier than the Quicklites, but they also provide a lot more coverage. I have fallen hard twice on my elbows- Both times I felt nothing. Same great mobility as both are 3 piece elbows.

I had a pair of Jofas (8044 or 6044 or something like that- I forget) and the wrist portion I found to be very restrictive. Looks like the 19K has a similar wrist portion as that which was on mine; I would not mess with it unless I was in a heavy hitting league. 

I had the CCM CLs a few years back- same thing like Fooj said about the Quicklites- super protective, light, great grip- did not even notice them on. For feel, I prefer them to the STXs that I am in now. But even in a large CCM CL, and with 14 inch gloves, I had a huge gap that was open for slash on my forearm that has since been closed up.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#11 turbo66

turbo66

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

If they were the same price, would you go with new CCM 19k pro elbows, or CCM Tacks Pro Stock elbows? I hear the 19k's are the top of the line. What makes them so? I'm not well versed in the elbow pad world, and want to upgrade from my retail nexus elbows.

If you haven't used that classic Jofa/Reebok elbow before you might like the Ultra Tacks better because they are very comfortable straight out of the bag. The 19K's would need some breaking in and don't have the same "comfort padding" you find in newer elbows eg Nexus and Ultra Tacks. 

I'm not sure on exactly "what" makes the 19k the best (I'd love to read the tech specs on them) but you see heaps of them in pro locker rooms so they must be good if thats what a lot of pro's use. 

That said, the pros may be using them because it's what they know and trust from years of use.

IMO those wanting the similar traditional fit of the Jofa/Reebok but want some upgraded technologies are trying out the Ultra Tacks. Those who want to stay with what they know go with the Pro 19K's because they are closest to a direct replacement to the Jofa/Reebok. 

#12 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

Almost forgot about the Warrior Dynasty HD Pro (again, retail, I know) Elbows. When I tried these on at HM, they did not feel like a 2 piece elbow, which I tend to find restrictive and thus avoid. They felt very similar to the Surgeons that I bought (good, in general), although they may be a bit lighter, with a bit more coverage. I just liked the idea of mesh sleeve in the Surgeons and wanted to give it a try; otherwise I may have gone with these:

http://www.hockeymon...-hd-pro-sr.html

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#13 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

If you haven't used that classic Jofa/Reebok elbow before you might like the Ultra Tacks better because they are very comfortable straight out of the bag. The 19K's would need some breaking in and don't have the same "comfort padding" you find in newer elbows eg Nexus and Ultra Tacks. 

I'm not sure on exactly "what" makes the 19k the best (I'd love to read the tech specs on them) but you see heaps of them in pro locker rooms so they must be good if thats what a lot of pro's use. 

That said, the pros may be using them because it's what they know and trust from years of use.

IMO those wanting the similar traditional fit of the Jofa/Reebok but want some upgraded technologies are trying out the Ultra Tacks. Those who want to stay with what they know go with the Pro 19K's because they are closest to a direct replacement to the Jofa/Reebok. 

The 19k/21Ks are just the ccm overseas version of the 7k/8k pro.  Same jofa design, just non swedish

IG: Fooj Media

#14 Gordo

Gordo

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

I picked up some Easton gx recently and they are awesome.

#15 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

Thanks all for the feedback.

#16 Aussiescott

Aussiescott
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

Another option just to add to the pleather of choices and add to the confusion is the Easton 700 very solid protection but better comfort then the reebok/jofa counter part in my opinion I have actually worn almost everyone mentioned above and it comes down to personal fit preference and the type of game you play

Attached Files

#17 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

Out of the current pads readily available I'd choose one of the following:

CCM RBZ (discountinued, but still available on clearance at some places)

CCM QLT

STX Surgeon 500

My favourite elbow pads of all time, and what I currently use, are the grey and blue Warrior Projekts from 2011. I have both retail and pro stock versions - they're very similar, but the pro stock version has slightly beefed up padding in both the bicep and slash guard area. If you can find a pair of those on eBay or elsewhere I highly recommend them. 

All of the above are very light and mobile pads that still provide good protection. If you value protection above all else then the two you were originally considering may be better options. 

#18 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:08 AM

Lots of warrior suggestions  :censored:

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#19 flyers10

flyers10

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

I can vouch for retail warrior AX1's and ccm ultra tacks. Both are bigger 2 piece but very protective and great less expensive alternatives to the Reebok pro stocks.

#20 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Follow up: I have a pair of Ultra Tacks Pro Long elbows coming. They're hung up in customs though... I hope I like them. I love my Ultra Pro shins. I block shots every game and don't feel a thing.

So NY Customs let's get a move on here.