Photo

New Skates - Retail, Custom, or Pro Stock?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

So I'm thinking about some new skates and I trust you guys. So I'm wondering do I go with a pro stock option (wasn't sure if I could trust the sizing?), do I get something like last years retail (MX3?) or is custom a big enough deal that it's worth the price?

#2 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:15 PM

Also I've been in retail one.8s for a while and love them. When I talked to my LHS Fred's the guys pretty much agreed that top of the line skates can be gimmicky and expensive compared to a step or two down which I feel like I seem to agree with but just wanted to hear from some other guys

#3 ibeck

ibeck
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

First you have to establish your budget and how often you skate. Do you really need $1000 custom skates if you skate 4 times a month? Only you know.

If you dont want to drop that much money but still want a quality skate, I suggest getting 1 skate under the top of the line. I got s190s and they're perfect. I dont need the fancy tounge or tendon guard, so these work for me even though I skate anywhere from 10-20 hours a week during hockey season between playing and coaching.

Pro stock is tricky as they come in different lengths and widths.

You should also note that this years 1 under is basically the same skate as last years top of the line (s190 this year, last years mx3).

"When you have and you love it, you can go all the time"-Alex Ovechkin

"The difference between an amateur and a pro is that an amateur does it when he wants to do it, a pro does it because he wants to do it" -Ryan Walter

Member #657

#4 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

I still have no idea why people wear other players pro stock skates unless both skates are the same size. For the most part, each skate is a different size length and width wise. Unless both of your feet are the exact same size as that players, I have no idea why.

If you're going to drop 1k on top of the line skates, you might as well chip in the extra $200 (more or less) and get custom since retail skates these days are built like absolute garbage.

#5 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

I get pro stock bc its the only way to get the tech mesh skate.  Custom vcuts cost too much so i go for the ebay close out last years model

IG: Fooj Media

#6 Max92

Max92
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

like ibeck said custom worth it if you use them often like 4 times a week

#7 - M

- M

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:13 PM

I still have no idea why people wear other players pro stock skates unless both skates are the same size. For the most part, each skate is a different size length and width wise. Unless both of your feet are the exact same size as that players, I have no idea why.

If you're going to drop 1k on top of the line skates, you might as well chip in the extra $200 (more or less) and get custom since retail skates these days are built like absolute garbage.

The build quality between retail and pro stock/custom is on par nowadays.  It's moreso the design of the skate.  People were having issues with the molded eyelets on the 1S skate.  Pros were reverting back to traditional eyelets, a more tried, tested and true option.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#8 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

I did notice that the 1s had molded eyelets and s190 had traditional. I do think after doing some research and talking I'm going to go with something like an s190. Still not sure if I want to try the switch to CCM from Bauer, but retail skates at that level seem to be a good middle ground for me between price and quality.

#9 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:27 PM

My VH were cheaper than top of the line retail. Highly recommend if you're gonna go the custom route. 

#10 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

CCM 68K's look great. Stiff, light, and moldable, yet with more flex on top of the foot. I still prefer 90's skates where there's a snug but flexy fit. If I were in the market for new skates, I'd go for 68K's. Still wondering what their MSRP's going to be.

#11 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

If you want the best bang for your buck then get a pair of clearance high end skates that fit your feet well. For me that was the Easton Mako; so I have OG Makos, Mako II's and stockpiled a few pairs of Mako II's when they went on clearance. For you it might be the older MX3, 2015 Jetspeeds ect. I'd just go and try on all the clearance skates you can. On some skates you can get them for 50% less than the original retail price - I picked up most of my Mako II's for $400 (plus tax) or less and they originally sold for $800, the 2015 Jetspeed LE skates are currently on sale at Pro Hockey Life in Canada for $399 and also used to be $800 skates ect.

Now, if you have extra cash, want to pay for the best performance and are willing to spend around $899 then I'd just get VH custom skates since they're built based on measurements, scans and pictures of your feet. Why spend $1000 or more on current model retail skates that aren't built specifically for you when you can spend $100 less on a completely custom pair?

Pro stock is really only a good option if you can find your exact size and they're less than half the price of the comparable retail model. Being able to try them on first is always best.

#12 AussieCanuckHockeyLover

AussieCanuckHockeyLover

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

I did notice that the 1s had molded eyelets and s190 had traditional. I do think after doing some research and talking I'm going to go with something like an s190. Still not sure if I want to try the switch to CCM from Bauer, but retail skates at that level seem to be a good middle ground for me between price and quality.

I just got a pair of retail s190 wheels. They are phenomenal! I don't like the 1s islets, and i've seen a lot of those skates come back into the shop (i work at a hockey store) with the either the islets broken or the side walls coming off (the stitching). Do yourself a favour and buy retail. I'm not the biggest fan of pro stock skates (we have a bunch in the store) and they are all very specific to the player. So different tongues, feel, fit, holders, etc. You know what you will get with retail, plus they are too much money to not have some sort of factory warranty or something. 

I agree with althoma1, buy high-end skates from last year or the year before and you can save a few hundred$$, and you're still getting really good skates.