Photo

Hossa has an "equipment" allergy?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gtaco94

gtaco94

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

Absolutely no details on what it is, but I've never heard of Someone being allergic to their equipment

http://www.espn.com/...uipment-allergy

#2 weskuz

weskuz
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

He better go back to Warrior Silver Shield. 😜
-Looking for Warrior Goligoski gloves
-Looking for Florida Everblades gear

#3 FCB51

FCB51
  • LocationMontreal, QC

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

It's official, he won't play next season!!!  :O

https://www.nhl.com/...son/c-290030030

#4 Moose

Moose

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Anyone with Hossa mitts better consult your dermatologist

#5 Fielder07

Fielder07
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

That's bizarre. You would think they could do testing to determine exactly what he's having the reaction to and make him equipment without that particular material.

Looking for new CCM HPTK pants - Black - Size XL

#6 apexx

apexx
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Buddy of mine who is a dermatologist says its probably Frontloadedcontractivitus.

Its highly contagious, and affects upper 30s midwestern males. 

Parise and Suter are at high-risk I'm told.

#7 asgoodasdead

asgoodasdead

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

yeah, its a condition called circumventing the cap

#8 AussieCanuckHockeyLover

AussieCanuckHockeyLover

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

There are lots of autoimmune disorders similar to this that can be triggered by various conditions/reasons. I'm going to assume he put on gross/moulding equipment which triggered his immunological system which in turn initiated an autoimmune attack. So he'll most likely be on high-dose corticosteroids or immmune-suppressant medications so he won't be able to play. 

#9 Jack the ripper

Jack the ripper
  • LocationBC

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

The local radio station was talking about it a few weeks ago. Apparently a player in the 80's(I believe, but I can't remember who for the life of me) career was ended by the skin condition he has. Also it was more prominent in the era where players didn't get new equipment at will. Basically what AussieCanuckHockeyLover said; more than like Hossas using old equipment(shoulders more than likely) that's held together by duct tape. Apparently there is a few NHLers who still wear their old shoulders from Jr hockey.

#10 AussieCanuckHockeyLover

AussieCanuckHockeyLover

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Apparently there is a few NHLers who still wear their old shoulders from Jr hockey.

I think Burrows shoulder pads are like 15 years old

#11 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

i have have light eczema so i generally have to always make sure my stuff is clean. I have to make sure my hockey stuff is clean as it aggravates eczema if it is not. Clean fresh base layers and socks every session. Wash shoulders 4-5 times a year, gloves 3-4 times a year, clean buckey 3-4 times a year, pants/shin pads twice a year, jerseys and socks i throw in with laundry.

Even if i didn't have eczema i would still wash my gear often. Sometimes you smell the most stinkiest gear at skates and it's absolutely disgusting, last week at pick up a guy sat next to me and his bag made me gag.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#12 AussieCanuckHockeyLover

AussieCanuckHockeyLover

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

Yeah pretty gross the stuff you can contract on your skin. Mostly contact dermatitis, cellulitis, and could trigger autoimmune disorders you don't know you have.

Clean your gear people! <-- Nursing Advice

#13 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Jan Vopat's career was derailed due to a skin allergy: https://www.si.com/v.../rash-judgments

#14 DespicableChang

DespicableChang
  • LocationKankakee, Illinois

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

My son won a scholarship through the blackhawks so we got a tour of the blackhawks locker room.  I counted 12 players with Jofa or Reebok with "powered by Jofa" writing on it.  Shins and elbows mainly but some shoulders too.  I was shocked.  I'm almost positive Hossa had some old Jofa stuff.  I thought it was cool because both my son and I have almost all jofa protective except for girdles but yikes - that's some dangerous funk!