Photo

Stx RX2 composite extension

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bruins243

Bruins243

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:36 AM

Does anyone know if the TrueGrip composite extension would fit a normal shaft, not an STX brand stick? I know shape is off but wondered if it would still hold?

http://www.hockeymon...n-butt-end.html

#2 TitanG

TitanG

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

I emailed their customer support last year:

"Unfortunately that will not work. The Rx2 replacement plug is shaped (on the insert and handle portions) to fit the Rx2 Puregrip handle shape. You would not be able to insert it in to a standard shaped hockey stick (at least not without major damage to either or both - the stick or the plug)."

However, I remember someone on MSH mentioning they got it to work, but don't take my word for it.

#3 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:06 AM

Supposedly, an intermediate extension will work in a standard shaft. I am about to run the experiment in a week or so when my stick and extension arrives. If I remember, then I will update you on how I do.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#4 Bruins243

Bruins243

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

Thanks!

#5 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

I got two (2) Intermediate STX Surgeon RX2 extensions, and a CCM Tacks 7092 stick today. One extension slides in perfectly, which is actually not ideal, as I will need to shim this one. The other extension (same product) is barely blocking itself from getting slid in, so when I heat it up, then it should be a perfect fit. I imagine that the Senior version of these extensions will not work, but I have not tested it, so I do not know. 

I have not actually placed the extensions in yet, as the blade of the stick was dinged up (it was an order from an online vendor). No big deal, tomorrow I will go to the actual shop, and exchange the stick for a non-dinged up stick, and get the extension in place.

#6 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

I used the CCM Tacks 7092 sat pickup today, without the extension, just to get a feel for the stick. I am not thrilled about the "philosophy" behind the taper of the CCM Super Tacks 2.0 family: stiff hosel, and whippy handle, when it comes to shooting. My release just feels a lot slower than when I use a low kick stick, and since I mostly shoot wristshots, this does not seem to be the stick for me. Also, since I cut down my stick (and am placing an extension on top of the cut down), I am messing up the intention of the stick with this whippy handle. I like the P30 curve though, makes stickhandling/ passing/ shooting easy. If I had my perfect stick, I would have a P30 curve, Warrior QRL (maybe Alpha QX) shaft whippiness profile, and the RX2 shaft geometry. I do not get to customize like this though; so, until then/ for my next time out there, I will be using what's posted below.

Quick note on installation. I noticed that the bottom of the extension was really grinding the shaft as I was forcing it in there. As I heard the squeal, I thought, "I should have filed down that part of the extension that mirrors the PUREGRIP of an STX shaft, but does not apply to a traditional shaft. I will know for next time- no big deal as I do not see myself falling in love with the 7092 stick (I still like the idea though, and will be putting these extensions on other sticks, if STX does not make a P30 curve).

wtWxUg1.jpg

#7 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

UPDATE- the blade on this stick is starting to splinter, so I will be returning. I think that the extension would have held up. It's too bad- I love the curve, but I do not love the stick, and I do not trust the blade to hold up.

#8 Bruins243

Bruins243

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:46 PM

How do you like the curve and or how would you compare it to what you're coming from?

#9 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:26 AM

Only used the stick once, and I liked the (P30) curve. I am coming from the X88 and X28 (STX Surgeon RX2.1 sticks). I found the 28 to be too open, making puck pickups, as well as rimmed pucks on the board difficult to manage. I always wished that the X88 had a bit more rocker, and a bit more toe (but not too much). So, when I saw the video on this curve, I was like "THANK YOU CCM!" 

I mean it's not rocket science (as far as the developers of these things go), it's just a toe curve, but a bit more closed than X28 (or P28 or W28 or whatever you want to call it), for those of us who are not as aggressive on our lean ins into our shots. Been wanting this curve for a long time, but I do need to use it more to know if I am going to really like it. Also, with my shooting style (pull wrist shots), I wish I had it on a low kick stick (like Ribcor/ QRL/ Surgeon RX2). The flex point seems to delay my shots.

I guess to understand why I like the curve and why it suits me, a bit about my "play style." I rarely shoot slap or snap shots. I am all wristers. Traditional wristers with the X88 (which are lame- release is too slow and the goalie can see it coming a mile away), and pull wristers like Bgustad teaches with the X28 (which I shoot pretty good). Problem is, all other parts of the game are inversed for me with these curves (I do everything else well enough with the X88, and cannot do much of anything else with the X28). 

So, the P30, I think lets me do everything well enough. I started playing late, so I am not able to just pick up any curve, go out there and get the job done. All of the stars need to be in perfect alignment actually, for things to work out when I go out there. The P30 seems to facilitate such astral phenomena. 

#10 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 20 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

So another update. CCM warrantied the initial stick, and I think I managed to repair the initial stick with some epoxy. So, I ended up making out pretty good on this; thank you CCM!

In regard to the STX Surgeon RX2 (intermediate) extension onto the stick, an idea on cutting stick and extension: 

The extension seems lighter than the chunk of stick that I removed, I suppose since the extension is "only" intermediate, perhaps? So, instead of utilizing the entire extension, I chopped off about 1/3 of it, so that the only remaining piece of extension, is the part that actually sits in my top hand. The original length of the extension had maybe an extra 2.5 inches or so. So, if you want to try to restore the balance of the stick back to its original point, then you may need to figure your cut of the twig into this formula, if this makes any sense.