Photo

Switching from P28 to PM9/P92?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Has anyone here gone from using a toe curve to something less aggressive? I am currently using a P28 and have been using that curve for quite some time now. I am playing at a higher level and the game has gotten a lot faster which has exposed flaws. I am a shooter and really like what I've been using providing I have time to shoot which has been drastically reduced since I jumped a level. I can pass well, Great shot velocity when I can actually get them off and there are times where I play very well with it but there are a lot of other times where I cannot pick spots and my creativity suffers because I find myself thinking about how unforgiving shooting with this can be. I'm actually considering giving the PM9, P92 a shot.

#2 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Welcome to reality... you're not as good at hockey as you thought you were. Wasting money on new blade patterns isn't going to help. Reinvent yourself.

#3 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

I agree. Practice. Switching curves won't make you a better player. Curves play differently, but they can't hide weaknesses in your game. If shots aren't coming off fast enough then work on a quick release with those wrists and on taking shots quickly in uncomfortable positions.

#4 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Can't say that I disagree with the above

#5 Jcantrell16

Jcantrell16
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

I agree with everyone above, not worth wasting the money on a different curve. But if you have the extra money and absolutely want a new curve,try the P92 curve. I worked at the hockey giant in San Jose and all the upcoming players wanted the p28 pattern, then eventually they would come back and say they didn't like the fact you had to put a little more effort to get a shot off. The dual lie can make or break your game. I've use the Staal/P91 curve my whole life and when the new true XC9 came out i tried the p28/TC4. Not my cup of tea. Have to be quick when it comes to your release. It all depends on your game and what type of player you are as well. I would not consider the P28 curve for new players.

#6 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

I have had about 20 P 92 sticks in my lifetime whether it was a CCM variant, Bauer or whatever. I've gone back and forth between 88, 92, 28. I love the 28th but there have been some things to be desired such as back in capabilities getting shots off and close is difficult and it's a much more technical pattern where the 92 is more forgiving. I'm a true forward, have mediocre hands and rely on in motion shots with speed or open space shooting. I find that the P28 makes it more difficult to be deceptive with shots. Hockey is more than just shooting of courses

#7 Jcantrell16

Jcantrell16
  • LocationNevada

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

It's a hard curve to get used to. The dual lie can throw off someones shot and receiving passes. 

#8 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

Sending and receiving passes with the P28 for me is seemless.

#9 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

If you've owned 20 P92s in the past, shouldn't you be familiar with how they play? No one is going to be able to replicate your exact situation so you're going to have to make a judgment call based on your, seemingly expansive, experience with the curve.

Also, I can't believe Easton's "dual lie" marketing actually worked. Rockered blades have been around forever. Haha

#10 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Does anyone think that shortening the P28 may help with release considering it would lift the heel off ice and allow for more movement?

#11 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:24 AM

P92 is certainly the easy blade to get used to for shooting in my opinion. It does everything "well", but nothing "great". I use a modified P92 coming from a Kreps, and my shots aren't as hard or fast, but a million times easier to get off, and a million times more accurate. I score way more goals because of a well placed shot, than a straight snipe, so my game has improved.

If you are having release issues, it has nothing to do with the blade. The issues are with your release.

#12 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

I score way more goals because of a well placed shot, than a straight snipe, so my game has improved.

This is more important than most people realize.  

Also, if you watch what's trending in NHL off-season training right now, it's awkward shooting drills.  Just check out Instagram.  Guys doing drills where they're shooting from uncomfortable angles to simulate getting a quick released shot off instead of taking an extra second to line it up.

I always cringe when I see teammates take 10 seconds to load up that perfect shot when a quick release or one-timer with less power would have beaten the goalie.

#13 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

One thing that I have noticed is that my release relies heavily on the twitch and I feel like the P28 is a full motion loader if that makes sense. My release will always need work but for me it's tough to determine whether I need to work on my technique for the stick or whether the stick needs to just work for my technique. I really like the P 28 but I do feel like it requires me to take that extra second to think and make sure the pockets on the toe. If I'm trying to take a low shot I don't have a problem because I know that there's a lot of the blade that is flat.

#14 fpm39

fpm39

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Its not the arrow, its the Indian.

#15 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

One thing that I have noticed is that my release relies heavily on the twitch and I feel like the P28 is a full motion loader if that makes sense. My release will always need work but for me it's tough to determine whether I need to work on my technique for the stick or whether the stick needs to just work for my technique. I really like the P 28 but I do feel like it requires me to take that extra second to think and make sure the pockets on the toe. If I'm trying to take a low shot I don't have a problem because I know that there's a lot of the blade that is flat.

You're overthinking it man, if you're using a blade that gives you a good shot, and your game is fine, keep it. Getting a bigger pocket for quick release might make other areas of your game suffer. Just practice your release until you can do it with the smaller pocket.

#16 Erock84

Erock84
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

I can play with both in one game lol

#17 Jcantrell16

Jcantrell16
  • LocationNevada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

i can play with a P91 and a P92 in the same game, huge difference in blades, but again its the work and effort you put in your shot and release.

#18 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Does anyone think that shortening the P28 may help with release considering it would lift the heel off ice and allow for more movement?

The e28 was designed to be used with a short twig.  I know, a lot of guys use it long or at average length but it was designed to use short

IG: Fooj Media

#19 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

The e28 was designed to be used with a short twig. I know, a lot of guys use it long or at average length but it was designed to use short

is that to ensure that the heel remains off the ice for shooting? I remember Scott Bjugstad talking to Junior Kings in an Easton promotional video and he mentioned that you're healing must be off the ice or it's not gonna work for you

#20 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

is that to ensure that the heel remains off the ice for shooting? I remember Scott Bjugstad talking to Junior Kings in an Easton promotional video and he mentioned that you're healing must be off the ice or it's not gonna work for you

Yes, Its just to make sure that when youre skating up the ice, the flat heel rocker is making ice contact, not cocked up which makes it harder to stickhandle and like yo mentioned, youre able to transition to the pull in snap shot extra quick.  Thats the reason the toe rocker is so rounded up, so when you take that quck pull in snapshot and release the puck from the toe pocket that that part of the blade is making ice contact

This really comes down to your snap shot mechanics, if you naturally pull in then the pattern will work out, if you shoot with the puck farther away from your body with the blade flat on the ice (kovalchuk og, perry, kessel) then a flatter rocker is better

IG: Fooj Media