Photo

What type of face protection?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you wear? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of face protection do you wear?

1. Visor (28 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Cage/Full Shield (28 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Nothing (7 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

I'll keep my teeth thanks

#22 FP12

FP12
  • LocationMontreal Area

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

I wear a full cage, but its a Gait Pro box lacrosse cage. Went to it ( lax cage) about 14 yrs ago after taking a slapshot to the mouth,. Was an Itech or Bauer visor before that.

helmets2

#23 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

I wear a full cage, but its a Gait Pro box lacrosse cage. Went to it ( lax cage) about 14 yrs ago after taking a slapshot to the mouth,. Was an Itech or Bauer visor before that.

You wear that lax cage because once upon a time you ate a slap shot? It looks like a puck will easily fit between those cage wire. Plus that set up is just dust looking tbh

#24 FP12

FP12
  • LocationMontreal Area

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:43 PM

A lax ball is smaller than a puck & wont fit thru the bars.  Possible a stick can get thru but hasn't happened yet.

A cracked jaw & Dental bill was way to high to have it happen again.

A lot of rinks in greater MTL area wont let you on the ice with out facial protection & some even neck guard is mandatory.

#25 gtaco94

gtaco94

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

I wear a fishbowl. Bauer concept III

It sucks to play in it during the Houston summers, and it can fog up real easy. Most of the time, it clears up within 5-10 seconds once I am skating on the ice.

I also noticed that the fogging up happens more easily if I wipe it down on the bench. Most of the time, I don't wipe it down unless it is absolutely necessary.

#26 KomarovSoshnikovMarner

KomarovSoshnikovMarner

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

I wear a fishbowl, and I rub washing up liquid (dishsoap) onto it, just a small about, inside and out, I get changed, then 5 minutes before hitting the ice I'll use a towel and maybe some spit just to rub it all in. Very effective and I have had visor wearers using my washing up liquid, without complaint too.

#27 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

4500 with a bauer oreo

or 

v08 with nothing

IG: Fooj Media

#28 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:07 AM

dust

#29 firefighter55

firefighter55
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

Just took a hard slap shot deflection to the center of my Oakley Small cut straight visor in a men’s league game. Scared the shit out of me. I still have it on, but I’m starting to think about doing the fish bowl. I hate it though. Love the half visor. If I didn’t have that on my nose would have been broken plus who know what else.
Looking for:
Blackhawks Hawks HGTK 14” Gloves

#30 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

Fresh-Toothless-Smile.jpg

Change my vote to cage/full shield.

#31 PittFan8

PittFan8
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

The face is scarier than the injury lol

#32 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Did you lose teeth or just split the lip?

#33 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

I lost one and half of them. It's hard to tell, but that one with the red bloody outline is just dangling there, disconnected from the root it's cracked off from.

As far as the change in face protection - people have told me that the damage is done, and I have no reason not to wear a visor now. But I guess I'm a punk, 'cause I've been going full bubble for the last week and a half. I always (foolishly) assumed I'd have time to put a mitt over my mouth, but the puck was on me so quick that I heard/felt it before I saw it. The kicker of the bubble is that it's helped my game because I'm not pulling a hand off my stick and over my mouth when I block shots or forecheck etc. So I have a much better reach.

For what it's worth, the thing fogged up pretty badly the first skate. I was told to get Parker's Perfect wipes since then, and I've been fog-free the last two times I wore it. It's been pretty cold here in Michigan tho, we'll see how that works in the summer!

Edit: I apologize for the gruesome pic, but if it helps anyone not have to go thru what I have over the last couple weeks, then -well- you're welcome.

#34 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Lol I ended up getting hit in the mouth with a stick twice over two games last week and I thought of this thread but I'll still keep my visor. I always get every possible other injury in hockey and all of a sudden my face became a target all at once heh

#35 leftwinger37

leftwinger37
  • Location"The Great Lakes State"

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:20 PM

Fresh-Toothless-Smile.jpg

Change my vote to cage/full shield.

Wore an Oakley straight-small visor until about 8 weeks ago. I saw my future and it looked a lot like this ^^

After about 12 years wearing a visor without incident, I took an errant stick across the nose (only had a small cut) and a deflected puck off the bottom of my visor (no damage to me or the visor) in back to back games. In the same week, a buddy of mine had a defected puck shatter his visor which resulted in a cut just below his eye which required stitches.

Stuff like this makes you question when your luck is going to run out. So for the last 8 weeks I've been wearing a CCM Fitlite cage. Like that it is lightweight with flat bars and floating chin cup, but I miss playing with a visor... just like I missed no facial protection when I switched to the visor.

I have a family to provide for, so sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.

#36 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

Wore an Oakley straight-small visor until about 8 weeks ago. I saw my future and it looked a lot like this ^^

After about 12 years wearing a visor without incident, I took an errant stick across the nose (only had a small cut) and a deflected puck off the bottom of my visor (no damage to me or the visor) in back to back games. In the same week, a buddy of mine had a defected puck shatter his visor which resulted in a cut just below his eye which required stitches.

Stuff like this makes you question when your luck is going to run out. So for the last 8 weeks I've been wearing a CCM Fitlite cage. Like that it is lightweight with flat bars and floating chin cup, but I miss playing with a visor... just like I missed no facial protection when I switched to the visor.

I have a family to provide for, so sometimes you just have to make sacrifices.

That sucks, hope that heals real fast. Best of luck

#37 leftwinger37

leftwinger37
  • Location"The Great Lakes State"

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

That sucks, hope that heals real fast. Best of luck

That pic was quoted from nicnok's post. He's the one who deserves the well wishes!

#38 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

That pic was quoted from nicnok's post. He's the one who deserves the well wishes!

nicnok, hope you are healing quickly. Best of luck

#39 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

That is by far the dustiest thing I have ever seen in my entire life