Photo

Neuroshield: A new approach to head protection by Bauer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

This is only available in Canada for now.

What do you guys think?

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#2 Adam

Adam

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

lol good luck getting that on any kids that need to wear a neck guard

#3 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

I saw it in person, it's actually pretty small and it goes around the back of your neck whereas neck guards go around the front to protect the throat. They'd go on together pretty easily

#4 darkhors

darkhors
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I saw this about a year ago or so. It's pretty cool to see it finally come to fruition. I think this could help, albeit, not completely solve the concussion thing. I don't think we'll see concussions stopped in our lifetime, but this can definitely help to reduce them. The science behind it seems pretty good. 

#5 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

I saw these in retail stores last week and listened along for fun. Sales guy told me they've sold a few so far which included to a cyclist so i'm guessing you can use this for other sports if you want to "prevent concussion". I believe it was in the $200 range Canadian. They're very specific to fit and there are a ton of sizes to accommodate different people. You had to be trained properly to sell one of these as you have to take precise measurements of the person's neck.  Supposedly there's also an expiry cut off time because the spring of tension will lessen with more use. Also if you changes body types by getting bigger or smaller then you should purchase one accordingly. 

To be honest i could see a "concerned parent" buying one of these and the odd adult but the majority of people probably won't bother. People have a hard enough time trying to wear a neck guard so what's the chance of them putting one of these contraptions on. 

Unfortunately what comes to mind is another overpriced product that's meant to be purchased every season or so from bauer. When Bauer used the "prevent concussion" term last time it was in the re-akt which ended up with the competition bureau telling bauer to stop with the claims and advertisements about how safer their helmets were to prevent concussions as tests were not sufficient enough to support market claims.  One of the best ways to sell a product is to get a pro to use / wear it, good luck with that. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#6 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

I saw it in person, it's actually pretty small and it goes around the back of your neck whereas neck guards go around the front to protect the throat. They'd go on together pretty easily

Just integrate the design into the neck guard.

Custom everything.

#7 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

Just integrate the design into the neck guard.

And miss losing out on justifying your children's health without having both......

#8 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:11 AM

I saw these in retail stores last week and listened along for fun. Sales guy told me they've sold a few so far which included to a cyclist so i'm guessing you can use this for other sports if you want to "prevent concussion". I believe it was in the $200 range Canadian. They're very specific to fit and there are a ton of sizes to accommodate different people. You had to be trained properly to sell one of these as you have to take precise measurements of the person's neck.  Supposedly there's also an expiry cut off time because the spring of tension will lessen with more use. Also if you changes body types by getting bigger or smaller then you should purchase one accordingly. 

To be honest i could see a "concerned parent" buying one of these and the odd adult but the majority of people probably won't bother. People have a hard enough time trying to wear a neck guard so what's the chance of them putting one of these contraptions on. 

Unfortunately what comes to mind is another overpriced product that's meant to be purchased every season or so from bauer. When Bauer used the "prevent concussion" term last time it was in the re-akt which ended up with the competition bureau telling bauer to stop with the claims and advertisements about how safer their helmets were to prevent concussions as tests were not sufficient enough to support market claims.  One of the best ways to sell a product is to get a pro to use / wear it, good luck with that.

The difference between the Neuroshield and a helmet like the Re-Akt is, where with a helmet the aim is always to protect your head from the outside. The Neuroshield (with apparent 7 or 8 years of science and testing before coming to market) is supposed to "apply light pressure that mildly increases blood volume in the venous structures in the head. This small increase in volume appears to reduce brain movement inside the skull, creating a 'bubble wrap' effect that may reduce the brain's movement or sloshing within the interior walls of the skull."

I think at some point isn't time, we're going to have to stop the mirror test at the pro level and be progressive in protecting our brains. It's gotta start at a grassroots level. $200 is pretty steep. Most people would rather pay 300 for a stick that will break instead of the prospect of maybe preventing cte in their future lol at least Bauer is thinking forward though

#9 PaulKariya

PaulKariya
  • LocationBC

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

That looks like the Olympic Oval in Richmond, BC

#10 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:57 AM

What do woodpeckers and hockey players have in common?  :wtf:

it looked odd, but i still grabbed a pair...

#11 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:26 AM

What do woodpeckers and hockey players have in common?  :wtf:

They explain it pretty well in the video.

#12 Nickerjones

Nickerjones

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

That looks like the Olympic Oval in Richmond, BC

It is .... 

and I guess I misunderstood. I didnt think this was supposed to stop concussions or even reduce them. My understanding is that it stopped the changing of the shape of the brain due to head trauma ... and that they don't know whether or not this will help with reduction of long term brain injuries due to trauma. I asked if Beer League Talk could do a video review of one of the neuroshields ... they wrote back something that had 0 answer or relevance to our question.