Photo

Switching from Bauer to CCM skates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 southpawfox

southpawfox

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

Looking to switch from Bauer to CCM skates and I am a bit confused.

I always thought the following. 

Vapor == Ribcore 

Supreme == JetSpeed

Nexus == Tacks 

However after trying on most of the CCM's I did not get that impression nor could I feel as drastic a difference between the models. I have heard the CCM skates mold/wrap better than the Bauer's so maybe after being baked I would feel the difference ?

Currently I am in a 9ee Supreme but starting to get some pain on the corner of my heel.

Thoughts ?

#2 Aussiescott

Aussiescott
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Are you getting pain on your heel from it being to tight or to loose? Are your skates retail or pro and are they top mx3/1s or what level as all this info is needed, what's your budget for new skates?

Ccm 1 piece skates definitely wrap better but the main difference I find it's the opening to the foot pocket is a lot more generous on Bauer skates cause Bauer bumps in some people and also causing the illusion that Ccm skates wrap better but it comes down to your foot shape.

I should be able to help with what worked for me as I was in the same skates mx3 9ee custom tho and also Bauer 1s pro stock then have moved to supertacks

#3 southpawfox

southpawfox

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

Are you getting pain on your heel from it being to tight or to loose? Are your skates retail or pro and are they top mx3/1s or what level as all this info is needed, what's your budget for new skates?

Ccm 1 piece skates definitely wrap better but the main difference I find it's the opening to the foot pocket is a lot more generous on Bauer skates cause Bauer bumps in some people and also causing the illusion that Ccm skates wrap better but it comes down to your foot shape.

I should be able to help with what worked for me as I was in the same skates mx3 9ee custom tho and also Bauer 1s pro stock then have moved to supertacks

Current Skates are Retail 190's, the pain is only on the right foot heel - not sure if it is a tedon or the beginning of a Bauer bump? Using bunga pads seems to help alot

#4 Aussiescott

Aussiescott
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

The bumps are more on the front near the top eyelet I think? Something I had used to help others was try a 8.5ee 1s for fit, found the heel was a lot more sung but comfortable or check your insole something like the Ccm would give you the slightest heel lift which could change the heel lock, myself I'm a speedplate only guy.

For me I've tried and have owned most of the top skates but think I've got the best fit to date with the supertacks. I was never a huge fan of Bauer skates but really loved the added stiffness you can get with Bauer so I really started enjoying them till I got the supertacks and my 1s are now my backups I had the option of supertacks or jetspeed but went with supertacks as they were 1 piece the jetspeed had a better heel lock(tighter) but sizing was also different I could fit 8ee in jets and 9-9.5ee in supertacks which felt identical in size. In the end I have custom supertacks 9.5ee I might be able to size down on my next pair but went up half as the Ccm toe box is definitely not as big as the Bauer.

How I see the fit

Ribcore custom/flexible made to fit almost anyone
Jetspeed tailored/tapered like a triangle getting tighter in the heel
Supertacks anatomical

#5 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

I'd suggest going to a local hockey shop and trying on almost every pair of skates in your size. I did this recently with a patient customer service rep, and came out with a model of skates I had no intention of buying when I walked in.

I have been skating in Vapors for the past 10 years, with Vapor XXXX's, then APX2s, then 1Xs. Before getting on the Vapor train, I was in Supreme 4000s, and briefly in some Eastons which I disliked. As of late, I was getting some major foot pain in my forefoot, mainly on the sides of the widest part of my forefoot. I'm a thin guy with thin feet, so I figured I needed the Vapors. Doing some reading online, I was told the Jetspeeds were basically Vapors with a wider forefoot, so I went and picked up Jetspeed Xtra Pro + skates at my LHS. They felt OK, but the heel lock was too much for me. My ankles hurt, and my mobility was very limited. Luckily my LHS was willing to take them back after a week. So I went back to the Vapors for about three months. This week I chose to go back to my LHS to try on every pair of skates they had. I ended up getting Ribcor 66Ks.

I would have never thought I'd get Ribcors when I went there. But after trying all the models on (including Jetspeeds again), these felt the best for my foot. After baking, they feel even better. Super comfortable, light, and I have a lot of ankle mobility. I'm skating faster, turning quicker, I have better balance and my feet don't hurt. When I picked up the 70Ks and compared them side by side with the 66Ks, I couldn't notice that much of a difference in stiffness, weight, etc., for me to justify spending an additional $400. I did notice a major difference between the 1Xs and X700/X600, however. I think CCM has less of a drastic difference between the top of the line skates and the mid price point, but that's just my personal opinion from holding all the skates in the store, not from skating on them. But I have seen a massive improvement in my skating, balance, etc., going from $900 1Xs to $300 66Ks.

Also one last personal opinion: I will probably never buy pro stock skates, and I'd be hard pressed to buy used skates. Skates that aren't perfect FOR YOU are going to have a negative effect on your game. So getting pro stock skates for $500 that were custom made for an NHL-er that don't fit you perfect are likely not going to be as good a choice as $500 new skates retail. Heck, how many guys are skating in V-cuts, which are what, 3 models of skates ago made to look like 1Ns?

#6 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

Also I forgot to add, I know people say CCM Jetspeeds are like Vapors, etc., but honestly the three lines between each company are very different.

#7 southpawfox

southpawfox

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Data point, I did the new Bauer Scan -- and it recommended the Supreme in E width (which is my current skate)

#8 Aussiescott

Aussiescott
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 30 September 2017 - 04:02 PM

Nothing beats trying as many skates on as you can. Like I said I've done that and through the years found what I like and what works, I actually tried ccm 50k and the fit was nice but I found my skating was nowhere the same as my +2 stiffness Bauer skates just not as quick and responsive. You goto a decent store and talk about what your after and they should be able to help you out