Photo

New skates opinion , 1x or 17' 1x

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

Starting to develop a pretty good lace bite issue from my apx skates -  skate tongues (worn) . swelling has started so aside from a couple weeks off ,I need to get into new skates . I know everyones foot is different but is there any worthwhile improvements to the 2017 1x's especially in the tongue for lace bite ? over last years 1x's , besides the price point is it worth it ? Any users I appreciate any feedback 

#2 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'd consider first, trying not Vapors and seeing how the depth treats you. If you want to stick with Vapors, my personal opinion would be to step down one model and avoid the injected eyelets.

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#3 Awkoshi

Awkoshi

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

I'll second Buzz's opinion. I'll agree that injected eyelets might be lighter than traditional eyelets, but from two years at an LHS I've seen a few too many come back broken.

To each their own though, I can understand why people would go for injected

#4 asgoodasdead

asgoodasdead

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

try lacebite pads?

#5 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

Yeah have had the elite hockey gel pads in them for a while. These apx im using now are tired & the tongues have seen better days . Ive had these for years with next to no lace bite. Took a shot off the tongue a few months ago and its been sensitive since , combination I think with the worn tongues etc.

#6 Aussiescott

Aussiescott
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

I own the first gen 1x skates and just not the skate fit for me. I have a few friends that wear the new 17 model in my team and love them having come from the previous 1x model and they have even converted a player from 1st jetspeed skates with them saying the tongue is the smallest thing they notice more the asymmetric boot cut, id just try them on and see what your foot notices

#7 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:09 AM

Yeah Im going to give the 17's a try . This lace bite can really be pesty . Anyone have any tips besides icing and few weeks off . swelling isn't major but its there .

#8 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Any users of thr 17 1xs ,how was break in time with them as im sure they're very stiff  

#9 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

I used to get lace bite all the time in vapor boots.  I switched to the supreme line a few years back and haven't had an issue with lace bite since then.

#10 kevboy555

kevboy555

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

I used to get lace bite all the time in vapor boots. I switched to the supreme line a few years back and haven't had an issue with lace bite since then.

I had a similar experience, where I was in the high end Vapors, and had lace bite from those, and last year I picked up a pair of 1N Nexus skates, and haven’t had lace bite issues since....

#11 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

Gotcha , I have never tried the supreme line . I pass the pencil depth test laying it under the tongue . Just curious I was using apx thin tongues that came on the skates.  I have a pair of the older model x60's - when they were top model tongues . I think I remember a lot of people using these tongues in the apx2's & orig. apxs.

#12 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

With regards to injected eyelets, I've heard that an issue in the original 1x was that they painted them which didn't play well with the plastics involved, resulting in early breakage - the 2017 1x shouldn't have this issue.

#13 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Any users of thr 17 1xs ,how was break in time with them as im sure they're very stiff

I've been lucky to always been able to fit a vapor boot well. Break in time was 4-5 skates for me at about 2hrs each.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#14 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

Quicker then I thought . Yeah once this bite heals I may go for the 17 1x's

#15 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

Quicker then I thought . Yeah once this bite heals I may go for the 17 1x's

everyone may be different, your legs and body just have to learn the minor adjustments when wearing a new boot.

The asymmetrical panels on the 17 1x seem to really feel better on crossovers and turning.  

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#16 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Yeah heard the same from a kid I play with, afraid to get into a new boot until this lace bite heals 

#17 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

Found a good option here for anyone suffering , not as cheap as using foam insulation but def worth a shot . 

https://www.prosport...bite-sock-donut

#18 Chriss8899

Chriss8899

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

So im still getting lace bite in my old original apx skates (able skate with the donut sock sleeve from above) cant skate without it  yet . Its time to go for some new skates. per bauers skate imaging machine im ideal for 1x skates. Now quick question does anyone have experience switching to new skates in the mist of lace bite?. Its about 80% better but still healing , i dont want to flare it up worse but these apxs are killing me anyway , so i guess it cant be any worse .