Photo

School me on girdles

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

I'm getting tired of buying/selling pants. Plus, I haven't been happy with a couple pants purchases lately due to mobility issues. I'm looking at getting a girdle/shell setup. I've done some reading on here and MSH, and I've looked at some product reviews. I've narrowed down to either the Super Tacks or 9K girdle. Has anyone had both that can comment on how they compare? I'm leaning towards the Super Tacks... I have pretty much the entire Super Tacks line of protective, and I'm very happy with it. If I get the Super Tacks girdle, what type of shell would I need? PP90? 9K? How do the 9K and PP90 shells differ? I like the idea of buying only shells instead of pants...

Any help would be appreciated. 

#2 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

I would like to add to this if I may, is the Super Tacks girdle as protective as pants in the tailbone and spinal area?

#3 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:17 AM

I haven’t skated in the Supertacks girdle but it seems really nicely built and light too. It’s got that D3O stuff thoughout so it should be protective but I don’t have any first hand experience with it. The 7092 girdle is a step down with more traditional padding (less D3O) and looks good too. The Supertacks is modelled off the 9k but is slimmed down as it uses more modern materials. I found the 9k to bulky for non-contact hockey, personally.

The one thing I didn’t like about the Supertacks was the mesh crotch gusset which i can see breaking down fairly quickly. The 7092 doesn’t have that mesh and is a full wrap style which is nicer to put on after your skates, if you dress that way.

#4 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

I'm getting tired of buying/selling pants. Plus, I haven't been happy with a couple pants purchases lately due to mobility issues. I'm looking at getting a girdle/shell setup. I've done some reading on here and MSH, and I've looked at some product reviews. I've narrowed down to either the Super Tacks or 9K girdle. Has anyone had both that can comment on how they compare? I'm leaning towards the Super Tacks... I have pretty much the entire Super Tacks line of protective, and I'm very happy with it. If I get the Super Tacks girdle, what type of shell would I need? PP90? 9K? How do the 9K and PP90 shells differ? I like the idea of buying only shells instead of pants...

Any help would be appreciated. 

Do you need all the extra protection the 9k/Tacks girdles offer?  Those are two of the heavier, beefier girdles.  The 9k is a tank.  It's heavy.  I hated it.  I haven't tried the Tacks.  I've been using a Bauer Total One for 5 years now and it hasn't let me down yet.  Super light and flexible, and all my PP90k shells work fine with it.

As far as shells, 9k tend to run a little bigger than PP90k do.  A medium 9k fits loose on me, whereas a medium pp90k fits nice and snug.  Comparatively, the Warrior Dynasty girdle shells fit even more snug in the same size.  So 9k > PP90k > Dynasty.

#5 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

Ok good to note about the shells. I play defense and get in the shooting lanes a lot, and my league gets a *little* physical (bumping and shoving). So I don't want something flimsy.

#6 kevboy555

kevboy555

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

+1 on the Bauer Total One Girdle. I’ve been using a girdle for about 5 years now, and from time to time, have picked up a pit of Pro Stock Pants, but I have ended up moving on from every one of them, and inevitably end up going back to my girdle. That being said, I went to the Fire Sale at The Hockey Shop yesterday, and picked up a Warrior Dynasty Shell, so I will see how that compares to the BT1, and after about he 5 years of wearing it 2-3 games per week, it’s finally starting to break down, especially the areas with the Velcro.

#7 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

Ok good to note about the shells. I play defense and get in the shooting lanes a lot, and my league gets a *little* physical (bumping and shoving). So I don't want something flimsy.

I’ll throw in my hat for the 9K girdle... same situation here (play defense in a league that can get chippy at times, plus I actually block shots) and I find that the 9K provides GREAT protection. Worth the trade-off for a little extra weight, IMO.

#8 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

9k girdle- Protective but bulky

Bauer Vapor girdle/ Tacks- Medium protective but more mobility than 9k

TotalOne girdle- Lightest and least protective

Depends on what you want, not all girdles are the same

#9 Awkoshi

Awkoshi

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm gonna leave a brief summary of notes I've found regarding the Super Tacks Girdle to the 7092; i've been looking into both of them but have yet to make a decision myself. 

Super Tacks:

• It looks like the biggest "detriment" people have found so far is that there's a step-in crotch area that's a mesh material. 
  • It's turned some people away, others have actually just chosen to chop it and cut it out to make it a wrap style girdle. 
  • The Super Tacks could be considered a 're-vamped' 9k girdle. The template of the girdle looks super similar. 
  • Adjustability is great, you can adjust the length of the legs - probably the best feature for fit. You can also adjust the spine. 
  • D30 gives you added protection, but question if you'll really need that added protection where you play. 
  • Weighs in around 1550 grams according to Ice Warehouse (unconfirmed). 

7092 Girdle:

• A more 'tradition' wrap-style girdle. Similar to Bauer Girdles released as of lately. 
  • Apparently it uses CCM's D30 Lite - via Ice warehouse - they're the only website to say that though. 
  • There's a zipper to drop the length by 1", nothing to shorten though. 
  • Weights around 1449 grams according to Ice Warehouse. 

As a final note, apparently both of these fit smaller (via MSH). Also, they both come with a shell. Would love to hear more about these if anyone has info! 

#10 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

I ordered a Super Tacks girdle today. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm 5'10" and 155 lbs with a 32" waist, and I got a medium. I hope it's not too small. I went with the Super Tacks because it's so adjustable with leg length.

#11 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:56 PM

I have the 7092 on the way, so I can add my thoughts too

#12 Awkoshi

Awkoshi

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

I actually just went with the Super Tacks myself haha. We’ll reconvene in two weeks haha

#13 Adam

Adam

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:35 PM

we have both the 7092 and the super tacks at the shop. post your questions and I'll post accordingly this afternoon when I can check them out

#14 colins

colins

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:29 PM

I (myself and my two sons age 15 and 17) have both the Super Tacks and 7092 girdles. Also have a Warrior Dynasty and Bauer Totalone NXG girdle that are semi-retired now. I wear the Dynasty sometimes for beer league.

Here's my observations on the Super Tacks vs. the 7092. I actually prefer the 7092 overall, not just because of the cost. As mentioned above, the crotch mesh on the Supertacks is annoying. I had to cut it out. Also, the velcro abdominal pad is tall, and we found it somewhat uncomfortable, so I trimmed it to match the one on the 7092.

At the end of the day, if you don't need the length adjustments the Supertacks offers (and if you try on and buy the correct size and aren't growing, you don't) the 7092 to me is the better choice. Both are more protective overall than the Bauer or Warrior models. 

Better on the Super Tacks:

1. Padding on the back of the thigh is segmented, and thicker than on the 7092. Not a huge deal, but a chop or a puck to the back of the leg would be better absorbed by the Super Tacks.
  2. Adjustable thigh and hip pads, and spine protector. If you like to play around with the positioning of these pads, or if you're growing and want the girdle to grow with you - nice feature.

Better on the 7092:

1. The velcro across the front doesn't extend up over your abdominal area like it does on the Super Tacks. Personal preference here, but I had to modify the Super Tacks to be like the 7092 because my son didn't like that extra padding in the front.
  2. No crotch/leg section. It's a pure wrap, the way the Super Tacks probably should be too. Find that a lot more comfortable. I had to cut the crotch/leg section out of the Super Tacks girdle as my son found it too restrictive.

Both girdle's sizing run small - if you are a medium in a pair of Nexus pants, you'd probably need a Large CCM SuperTacks or 7092 girdle.

colins

#15 Jcantrell16

Jcantrell16
  • LocationNevada

Posted 26 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

Ask 90Style10skill. He knows everything. I think he is in the NHL or something

#16 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

I think that the Bauer Supreme 1S is best, but do you want to pay $250 or so for a girdle (including tax). I don't. I do think that the 1S provides more protection than the CCM SuperTacks, and may be a bit more mobile/ form fitting.

I have the CCM SuperTacks, it is pretty good; protective and light. Someone said that it feels like a bubble around you. Yea, perhaps, compared to other girdles, but compared to my pro stock Warrior Franchises? Pfffffft. I feel like I have cinderblocks strapped onto me with the Franchises; the SuperTacks seem to be about 1/4 of the burden. 

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#17 andym

andym

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:44 PM

Current 9k user (since 2010 I think?), no-check beer league but I've never been bothered by lower body bulk. The 9k is the right combination of protection/mobility/breathability for me.

I've been too fat for my medium 9k for a few years now, just got a large Super Tacks in. I think I like it, probably because it's the correct size. Same feel as the 9k, slightly less bulk. The shell loops are in different spots and in a different orientation (vertical vs horizontal) vs the 9k, to use a 9k shell you'll want to do some quick sewing. Weights for those interested, girdles only no shell: medium 9k 3lb 5oz, large Super Tacks 2lb 12oz.

#18 Awkoshi

Awkoshi

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

I realize I never did my update for the Super Tacks girdle so I'll add my thoughts in. 

• I like the weight a lot better; it feels much lighter. 
  • Padding still feels just as good. 
  • I can't fully remember what the thigh strapping of the 9k Girdle was, but I wanna say that the Super Tacks uses a neoprene maybe? Whatever it is, I think it's a big step up. 
  • Adjustability is fantastic, I personally think it's an upgrade from the 9k. Adjustable spine is a nice touch. 
  • I personally think the default shell they give with it is crap, mine broke in a skate (zippers don't work)
  • 9k shell does not fit exactly on the girdle. Pretty sad about that, but in theory it could still fit on.